[GUIDE] Direct MIDI IO for ST and Amiga Cores

JimBobMcGee

Re: [GUIDE] Direct MIDI IO for ST and Amiga Cores

Unread post by JimBobMcGee »

Got it working. There is no need to enable the USER I/O in the UART menu. It just works! Works amazing so far! Will get results for the Olimex MIDI IO here.
bnz99

Unread post by bnz99 »

Amazing, this is incredibly cool. Thanks to everyone who worked on this. My Olimex board works as well. I have just recorded Midi into Cubase. My soldered cable posted above works perfectly. I think, I'm picking up a perfboard next and start to solder something that I can stack below my USB hub with a proper USB to USB connector instead of that temporary soldered cable.

I'm a little puzzled by the Olimex pin placement though. It doesn't even fit on a bread board as the pins don't have the correct spacing on one side.
JimBobMcGee

This thing immediately replaced my STfm from all MIDI duties. STEriods makes this thing a dream to work with in User MIDI I/O. Will be posting more video featuring my ASR10 as the focal point.
ransom

Unread post by ransom »

I am testing this new core on a mister mister with 32mb ram.

Using space quest enhance mt32 whdload slave with the sound driver automatically set to mt32..

When I run the game I get no sound? Does this work on its own or you need additional hardware for mister?
bnz99

Unread post by bnz99 »

I haven't tested the Amiga core, but I recall that there is a midi preference pane in Workbench where you can enable serial midi. Have you tried that?
djhardrich

Unread post by djhardrich »

I’m not sure with games, but using Octamed/ProTracker on the modified Amiga core is zero-configuration as well (like the ST core).... ao486 update incoming!
bnz99

Unread post by bnz99 »

I tried Bars & Pipes on the Amiga and it worked. I started to play around though with my MT-32 Rev.0 and ao486 with the direct midi and noticed the well known buffer overflow messages on the MT-32. For example, with Heart of China and other Sierra games. Indy4 or Day of the Tentacle didn't have problems, but I guess they did not send any Sysex. I'm somewhat curious what Dosbox is doing as I recall that I didn't have any buffer overflow trouble with it and I do have version 1.0.7. I have used SoftMPU with delaysysex and with that, it worked. I'll probably try to see how the delay sysex works in softmpu and whether I can tinker with the delays a little and check whether the eeprom updates floating around on ebay help with this.
JimBobMcGee

Demonstration of the USER I/O MIDI Atari ST Core.

Equipment used
Mister FPGA with I/O Board
Latest Mistery Atari ST Core provided by DJ Hard Rich.
Olimex MIDI board wired for User I/O board (thanks DJ Hard Rich)
Ensoniq ASR10.

https://i.imgur.com/RqajN0g.mp4
JimBobMcGee

Just received the Mister MIDI I/O from Legacy Pixels. Demos will soon follow.

Really like the case!

jtnrDCg.jpg
jtnrDCg.jpg (207 KiB) Viewed 750 times
gEgltKU.jpg
gEgltKU.jpg (488.13 KiB) Viewed 750 times
moebiusrising

Unread post by moebiusrising »

Hi JimBobMcgee

I ordered the Olimex and it arrived, is the color coding in a USB cable consistent so I'm not crossing connections?

I don't have the Analog or Digital I/O board for my MiSTer but I see the USER I/O on the DE10-Nano, is it possible to still wire it this way? (ie: is the power voltage supplied by this port switchable to 3.3v?)
bnz99

Unread post by bnz99 »

I'd be surprised if that worked without the I/O board. I'm pretty sure it's mandatory. USB 2.0 cables are to my knowledge mostly consistent in their color coding. Red=VCC, Black=Ground, White=Data-, Green=Data+. If there is some variation to it, I'd guess it would be the data+ color. I'd suggest you use a USB 2.0 cable, it's probably a little easier to work with.
bnz99

Unread post by bnz99 »

Just wondering, is there anything going on to move this functionality into the official cores? Especially for the ao486 and minimig, a lot of good stuff has happened since the cores were posted.