extended STe Joystickports

ragnar

extended STe Joystickports

Unread post by ragnar »

Hi there,

maybe i've missed it somewhere but how can i use the STe Joystickports described in the readme.md here https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/AtariST_MiSTer

bye
Bernd
• FireBee • Falcon030/040/060 • MiSTer • TT • (Mega)STe • Suska III-B • Suska III-C • (Mega)ST •
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: extended STe Joystickports

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Its one of the upper function keys to toggle through joystick modes, maybe F10 or F11.
ragnar

Unread post by ragnar »

Yes, I know that. I was not clear enough. How can I connect my jaguar pads to the mister?
• FireBee • Falcon030/040/060 • MiSTer • TT • (Mega)STe • Suska III-B • Suska III-C • (Mega)ST •
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

I don't think there is any direct connection since the user port is now reserved for MIDI instead of SNAC. The readme is likely referring to the virtual joystick ports trigged by F11 and their expanded features that you can map any USB controller to. When you define controls for any controller in the core it asks you to go through A B C and the entire number pad which I assume is meant to mimic the Jaguar pad.

If you wanted to connect real Jaguar pads, you would have to find some conversion to USB HiD and then map them like any other Mister controller.

Edit: actually that readme seems to be copied from MiST so there may be a number of misleading points. However I was told by some very knowledgable people here that there is no direct connection for any kind of Joystick in the latest MiSTer ST and Amiga cores, and that the User Port is reserved strictly for MIDI now. There is supposedly some much older version/fork that has SNAC support if you really want to hunt it down.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

If you are looking for that USB HiD adapter for jagpad, something like this seems to do the trick. Their DB9 connectors are all very low latency so I'd expect this to be the same.

http://www.2600-daptor.com/Jaguar-daptor.htm

Raphnet makes one too but seems to be out of stock.

The other issue is that very little software seems to use the enhanced ports, and it is mostly on the Falcon side? But with this adapter, you can use your jagpads on other cores or even your PC if you like. (or heck to just play db9 joystick games if you want for some reason, maybe mapping the keypad to keyboard keys...)