Direct Video Output

saucier

Direct Video Output

Unread post by saucier »

I'm using my MiSTer with a Sony PVM 20L5, and this core does not seem to work correctly (i.e., my display does not handle it) when used via direct video (the output from the IO board works fine). The direct video mode seems to be using some super resolution mode, with a higher horizontal resolution than the original. Is there a reason that direct video doesn't use the native resolution?

akeley

Re: Direct Video Output

Unread post by akeley »

Your PVM can handle 31khz VGA?

saucier

Unread post by saucier »

Yes, the 20L5 is multiformat, and can handle a variety of signals with a horizontal frequency between 15 and 45 kHz.

saucier

Unread post by saucier »

In general, my expectation is that direct video would provide the same (presumably native) resolution and refresh rate as the analog output on the I/O board. If they differ, and particularly in cases such as this where the native resolution is supported by my display, but the resolution of the direct video output is not, is this considered a bug? Should I open an issue for this?

retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

It certainly doesn't sound right, I would.

johnny5

Unread post by johnny5 »

Just wanted to confirm that Direct Video over IO doesn't work for me using a PC CRT monitor for this core either.

eightbit

Unread post by eightbit »

I am using the IO 6.1 board with YPbPr to a Sony Wega and it is not working for me at all. I just completely lose video signal as soon as the core is launched. I would have suspected it to work as the real machine pumps basically the same resolution and refresh rate as the Amiga.....and minimig works fine on this CRT. I think there is a problem with the core.

akeley

Unread post by akeley »

eightbit wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:25 am
I am using the IO 6.1 board with YPbPr to a Sony Wega and it is not working for me at all.
Atari ST core for some reason outputs 31Khz so it won't work on your (and mine) consumer CRT TV. OP meant it's not working on CRT VGA monitors when used via Direct Video (but is ok via I/O).

retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

akeley wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:44 am
eightbit wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:25 am
I am using the IO 6.1 board with YPbPr to a Sony Wega and it is not working for me at all.
Atari ST core for some reason outputs 31Khz so it won't work on your (and mine) consumer CRT TV. OP meant it's not working on CRT VGA monitors when used via Direct Video (but is ok via I/O).
That's down to your set up. It works fine on both of my consumer TVs. Check your config.

akeley

Unread post by akeley »

retrorepair wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:50 am
That's down to your set up. It works fine on both of my consumer TVs. Check your config.
Well, whaddyaknow. I thought it's impossible, seeing as Wiki mentions high frequencies.

Tried it again, after update, and now it shows some signs of life - I get heavy rolling (as oposed to nothing before). I don't really have any config for ST, and all my other cores work fine with the standard one. Could you share your settings? Are you on IO or DV? (I'm using DV).

eightbit

Unread post by eightbit »

retrorepair wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:50 am
The problem is, if the config is wrong....how do I adjust it with no video? Only solution would be to connect the MiSTer to an HDMI TV in order to see the settings to adjust?