Laggy Mouse

johey

Laggy Mouse

Unread post by johey »

I don't know if it's me doing something wrong, but by booting up the Atari ST, I get a pretty laggy mouse experience. Using a USB HID mouse. Is there any fix or workaround to this?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Laggy Mouse

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

This likely has nothing to do with the Atari ST core. There are a few things to check with Mister though.

First, make sure you have the USB 1ms polling script installed. Update_all (even Mr Fusion?) should download it, then you just have to run it once from the scripts menu. Even then, not all mice respond equally. "gaming" mice seem to like to advertise their 1 ms polling interval so you might need one of those.

Second, your display might just plain be laggy, and the mouse is making that obvious. If you are using HDMI/scaler, make sure you set vsync_adjust=2. If you are using some kind of LCD TV, make sure it is in game mode. Even then, odds are good to have at least a little lag if its not some 1ms gaming monitor.

Also if you are using a UK/EU bios for a 50hz desktop, your display might be upconverting that to 60hz, which will add lag and jerkiness. Try a US bios to force 60hz just for comparison's sake.
johey

Unread post by johey »

Thanks alot! Everything you pointed out is true in my case. I was aware of all but the fast USB polling script, and by running it, the problem is gone. Using an old TN VGA monitor is obviously not the best option, but I can live with that small output lag it provides. It's only my test screen until I connect a CRT anyway.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Laggy mouse

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

On the contrary I think old VGA monitors definitely have their place for the computer cores. They've been the most reliable for me to actually display true 50 or 70hz, and their lag is quite good compared to most LCD TVs. Also if you're stuck in NTSC land finding a consumer CRT TV that will sync with PAL isn't easy!
johey

Unread post by johey »

I have a few VGA LCD monitors and they all have their quirks. One of them is working perfectly in 60 or 50 Hz. Scrollers are smooth in both, which I guess means that the panel itself updates with respect to vsync, which I find kinda odd. There is a dealbreaker though. All 50 Hz modes, despite working perfectly, gives a non-removable OSD warning window saying out of sync. :(

Another of my monitors work alright in both 60 and 50 Hz, but it's not smooth in 50 Hz so I guess the panel has a fixed 60 Hz update rate.

Anyway, I think in the end, I will have a 15 KHz CRT connected as my main screen, with an extra DVI/HDMI screen hooked up for highres cores like AO486. I do have a nice VGA CRT as well, but it's not quite the same experience as a 15 kHz, though you can get quite close with some scanline filters... Plus the fact it's dedicated to my FPGA Arcade Replay. :)