netizensmith

Re: [GUIDE] Direct MIDI IO for ST and Amiga Cores

Unread post by netizensmith »

Hi all,

When using my real Amiga 600 I had this config:

A600->Serial Midi Interface -> midi to USB cable
USB end plugged into a client port of a powered USB hub
Akai MPK Mini controller also plugged into a client port of USB hub
iPad pro connected to the hub using the host USB cable i.e. the iPad was the host.

This worked great!

Now on the Mister I can wire the Akai, ipad and hub together no problem but the problem is I now essentially have an Amiga with a USB type A host socket that I need to connect to a hub that also has a USB type A socket and I know that's something you can't do. Any ideas how to get this all talking together?
Zarkov

Unread post by Zarkov »

Should I disconnect the direct midi io box from legacypixels from the user port if I load cores other than ao486 etc? Any harm leaving it connected?
mobith

Unread post by mobith »

Zarkov wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:07 am Should I disconnect the direct midi io box from legacypixels from the user port if I load cores other than ao486 etc? Any harm leaving it connected?

I haven't seen the schematic but I imagine there's a buffer and opto-isolator on the MIDI breakout board, so I doubt you can break it
bnz99

Unread post by bnz99 »

Just realized I have never posted my DIY midi pcb in this forum: https://github.com/bzeiss/mister-pcbs/wiki/Midi-PCB
mobith

Unread post by mobith »

bnz99 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:54 pm Just realized I have never posted my DIY midi pcb in this forum: https://github.com/bzeiss/mister-pcbs/wiki/Midi-PCB
Ah nice - you made one with the same footprint as the nano :) Do you have any spare raw pcbs available please?
mobith

Unread post by mobith »

misterfpga_midi_shield.png
misterfpga_midi_shield.png (4.02 MiB) Viewed 4796 times
I had an arduino midi shield lying around so lashed that up for testing!

The optoisolator is connected to the shield_5V pin and so this must be wired to the nano_3V3 header to avoid over-voltage on the fpga.

JP7_1 = Rx
JP7_2 = Tx
bnz99

Unread post by bnz99 »

mobith wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:57 pm
bnz99 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:54 pm Just realized I have never posted my DIY midi pcb in this forum: https://github.com/bzeiss/mister-pcbs/wiki/Midi-PCB
Ah nice - you made one with the same footprint as the nano :) Do you have any spare raw pcbs available please?
Are you in the EU? I have a few, but at some point, I want to add jlcpcb assembly files for the smd parts of the board. That way, only the usb connector and the midi connectors would remain to be soldered. For outside the EU, it would probably be cheaper to order the pcbs fresh.
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

Hi @bnz99
I from EU (Belgium to be precise) and I'd be interested by one card if any available.
No need to get the components soldered, my friend is electronic engineer so he'll do the job for me.
You can PM me to finalize the deal.
Thank you so much in advance.

かすりん

mobith

Unread post by mobith »

bnz99 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:42 pm
mobith wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:57 pm
Are you in the EU? I have a few, but at some point, I want to add jlcpcb assembly files for the smd parts of the board. That way, only the usb connector and the midi connectors would remain to be soldered. For outside the EU, it would probably be cheaper to order the pcbs fresh.
I'm in the UK so almost :lol:

No worries about the SMD - I kinda prefer SMD soldering these days (as long as it's not the realllly small stuff)
bnz99

Unread post by bnz99 »

You may want to contact Nat from https://misterfpga.co.uk. He wanted to build a few. Personally, I'm not a seller and don't plan to be. So I don't want to deal with declaration forms and whatnot. It's just not fun for me ;-)

kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

I'd like to thank you, @bnz99 I've received the PCB today. Cannot wait to get it assembled by my friend in order to use it on my Mister.
Thank again !

かすりん

bnz99

Unread post by bnz99 »

Glad that it arrived. So I received a package from JLCPCB today with the SMD parts preassembled and I have tested it on the Atari ST core with Cubase Score and it worked fine. I have pushed that update to the github project so that anyone who wants this can order this board directly with SMD parts preassembled from JLCPCB. It's only three through-hole parts (3x midi din5 connectors + one usb connector) left to solder that way.
mobith

Unread post by mobith »

bnz99 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:32 pm

You may want to contact Nat from https://misterfpga.co.uk. He wanted to build a few. Personally, I'm not a seller and don't plan to be. So I don't want to deal with declaration forms and whatnot. It's just not fun for me ;-)

All good! I ordered 5 bare pcbs - thanks for sharing the design!

PS: If anyone wants a bare pcb or a built one I will have three spare I think

JimBobMcGee

Unread post by JimBobMcGee »

Made a Cubase 3 demonstration video featuring the new Dongle feature in the main Atari ST Core. Used an Akai S3200XL as the midi sound source for this

https://youtu.be/WiYBDQQIgEM