jordi

ESXDos, is it possible?

Unread post by jordi »

Is it possible to run ESXDOS on core?
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: ESXDos, is it possible?

Unread post by akeley »

Seems it is, now. Just saw there's a DiVMMC option in the core now. Pretty cool, though of course this being MiSTer it's not as needed as on the real machine. Any ideas what the .vhds could be used for?

Also, I recommend this amazing browser for esxDOS, has got long filename support, can play .ay, display scr$ and has a heap of other options. Hope it works here too.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/ ... =36&t=2553
lister_of_smeg

Unread post by lister_of_smeg »

akeley wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:38 pm Seems it is, now. Just saw there's a DiVMMC option in the core now. Pretty cool, though of course this being MiSTer it's not as needed as on the real machine. Any ideas what the .vhds could be used for?
One useful feature it adds is the ability for instant snapshots to be saved/loaded using the NMI menu. Handy for games that are difficult to get through in one sitting, or games that would ordinarily save/load progress to/from tape.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

That's a great idea. I think you can actually make snapshots already using the +D interface (as per wiki) but I never got around to actually doing it coz it sounds a bit tricky.

I did test ride a little .vhd with esxDOS 0.8.8 and the aforementioned bob_fossil's LFN browser. It works great. You can make snapshots, name them and load easily from the browser's menu, and do other stuff like listen to .ay files, etc...

I attach it here in case anybody wants to have a looksee. You'll also need to download esxDOS 0.8.8 from here, extract ESXMMC.BIN, rename it to boot1.rom, and place in "games/Spectrum/" on MiSTer.

There are some ay/scr files included. Caps Shift+h shows keyboard shortcuts, and there's a manual in a .txt file on the vhd. You can also go back to original esxDOS browser by pressing CAPS+N and doing a reset.
Attachments
DivMMC.7z
(5.87 MiB) Downloaded 337 times
JaseDaMase

Unread post by JaseDaMase »

I've tried the mgt save snapshot and the instructions on the wiki aren't doing anything (likely it's just me) I've tried the esxdos with the divmmc image and it booted up to the exsdos screen the once and once only. The controls you have provide don't do anything at my end. I'm likely missing something but can't work it out. If someone can help or point me in the right direction I'd be grateful. I have used a more up-to-date version of esxdos. Either option to save snapshots is fine by me. I have unfinished business with some games I never finished back in the day. Thanks. Slight update. Rebooting the mister and reloading core loads esxdos and I've noticed an RTC.sys error.
marcelosofth

Unread post by marcelosofth »

Friend, the error that is appearing for you is solved by downloading the file "rtc.sys" in this link below, it was also giving the same error to me, after copying the file to the directory it solved, but for me after loading, it goes back to the boot screen and doesn't load "esxdos088" I'm in need of help too!

Link: https://gitlab.com/victor.trucco/RTC/-/ ... er/rtc.sys
jordi

Unread post by jordi »

marcelosofth wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:49 am Friend, the error that is appearing for you is solved by downloading the file "rtc.sys" in this link below, it was also giving the same error to me, after copying the file to the directory it solved, but for me after loading, it goes back to the boot screen and doesn't load "esxdos088" I'm in need of help too!

Link: https://gitlab.com/victor.trucco/RTC/-/ ... er/rtc.sys
RTC is an extension board over Divide/Divmmc. I don't think it will work unless core has added official support for it.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I've just redownloaded this vhd image and it works same as before. You can save and load snapshots, listen to AY music, viev scr$, etc. The saving doesn't work with all games, which I think is similar on real hardware, but it should be ok for the majority. Also, it doesn't work in 128 mode, which might be something to do with this setup itself.

The rtc "error" is normal, it's the same on real hardware and doesn't affect anything. The problem is most likely that you're using newer esxdos - it needs to be the one I linked to (0.8.8). If you want to use the latest esxdos you'd need to make a fresh install on a vhd (bob_fossil's browser has also been updated since).

The mtg saving works, but is indeed a bit convoluted. I managed to get it working at some point but don't exactly remember how now. You need to mount .mtg disk and learn proper keyboard shortcuts for trdos. If you're still stuck I can try to write a step-by-step for it later.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Has anybody tried ESXDOS with the latest core?

I'm using a VHD with the ESXDOS files in it; placed the rom as boot1.rom, but it does not show the file browser.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Does your esxdos match the 0.8.8 version?

I've tested this vhd extensively about a month ago and it was working ok.

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

akeley wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:02 am

When I tried this VHD (with the 0.8,8 version) if freezes after "Loading ESXDOS.SYS... [OK]"
Can you share which OSD settings you are using?

Code: Select all

Video Timings: ULA-48
Memory: Spectrum 128K/+2
MMC Mode:  Auto (VHD)
MMC Version: DIVMMX+ESXDOS
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Newsdee wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:57 am
akeley wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:02 am

When I tried this VHD (with the 0.8,8 version) if freezes after "Loading ESXDOS.SYS... [OK]"
Can you share which OSD settings you are using?

Code: Select all

Video Timings: ULA-48
Memory: Spectrum 128K/+2
MMC Mode:  Auto (VHD)
MMC Version: DIVMMX+ESXDOS

Actually, my vhd uses esxdos v0.8.9.
The OSD settings are pretty much the same, I can use it both with 48k and 128K/+2 Memory and corresponding Video Timings. You can try my boot1, maybe it'll help.

Attachments
boot1.zip
(6.6 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
karletto66

Unread post by karletto66 »

Check that files inside VHD file are same version of boot1.rom, usually is that the problem

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Thanks both! Yes, the image from akeley works fine if I use the same boot1.rom .... but not the others.

It seems a bit finicky, as in the core can sometimes get into a bad state and won't respond in the same way,
but usually a cold reboot (going back to MiSTer menu) seems to work fine.

I suppose I might be able to fix my other .vhd image by updating the rom inside it..

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Newsdee wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:30 pm

It seems a bit finicky, as in the core can sometimes get into a bad state and won't respond in the same way,
but usually a cold reboot (going back to MiSTer menu) seems to work fine.

If you mean my image, there is a bug which makes keyboard operations freeze sometimes unless SPACE is pressed. It's got something to do with using bob_fossil's LFN browser.

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

akeley wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:20 am

If you mean my image, there is a bug which makes keyboard operations freeze sometimes unless SPACE is pressed. It's got something to do with using bob_fossil's LFN browser.

Not just your image, I have another image which I couldn't get to work. It is a pack of games from the Zx-Uno community.

I managed to fix it by removing all system files and copying in a fresh set of files from the ESXDOS default install.
It broke the built-in menu they added (which is a set of programs per folder); I suppose it relied on special commands in 0.8.8 that do not exist in the newer version... or I'm missing one file. Anyway, no big deal.

I like using ESXDOS because in principle the same image would work in real hardware.
Otherwise - we can load .z80 and .TAP directly through the core OSD menu... so we're not missing that much by not using ESXDOS.