ESXDos, is it possible?

jordi

ESXDos, is it possible?

Unread post by jordi »

Is it possible to run ESXDOS on core?
akeley

Re: ESXDos, is it possible?

Unread post by akeley »

Seems it is, now. Just saw there's a DiVMMC option in the core now. Pretty cool, though of course this being MiSTer it's not as needed as on the real machine. Any ideas what the .vhds could be used for?

Also, I recommend this amazing browser for esxDOS, has got long filename support, can play .ay, display scr$ and has a heap of other options. Hope it works here too.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/ ... =36&t=2553
lister_of_smeg

Unread post by lister_of_smeg »

akeley wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:38 pm Seems it is, now. Just saw there's a DiVMMC option in the core now. Pretty cool, though of course this being MiSTer it's not as needed as on the real machine. Any ideas what the .vhds could be used for?
One useful feature it adds is the ability for instant snapshots to be saved/loaded using the NMI menu. Handy for games that are difficult to get through in one sitting, or games that would ordinarily save/load progress to/from tape.
akeley

Unread post by akeley »

That's a great idea. I think you can actually make snapshots already using the +D interface (as per wiki) but I never got around to actually doing it coz it sounds a bit tricky.

I did test ride a little .vhd with esxDOS 0.8.8 and the aforementioned bob_fossil's LFN browser. It works great. You can make snapshots, name them and load easily from the browser's menu, and do other stuff like listen to .ay files, etc...

I attach it here in case anybody wants to have a looksee. You'll also need to download esxDOS 0.8.8 from here, extract ESXMMC.BIN, rename it to boot1.rom, and place in "games/Spectrum/" on MiSTer.

There are some ay/scr files included. Caps Shift+h shows keyboard shortcuts, and there's a manual in a .txt file on the vhd. You can also go back to original esxDOS browser by pressing CAPS+N and doing a reset.
Attachments
DivMMC.7z
(5.87 MiB) Downloaded 13 times