Dot and Comma Swapped [Solved]

pgimeno
Top Contributor

Dot and Comma Swapped [Solved]

Unread post by pgimeno »

When I press the "," key, I get a "." and vice versa. The "<" and ">" characters (in the same keys, with shift) are correct, though. If I remap the keyboard, the "<" and ">" characters are swapped.
azesmbog

Re: Dot and Comma Swapped

Unread post by azesmbog »

pgimeno wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:33 pm When I press the "," key, I get a "." and vice versa.
if this is the case, I would try swapping two lines. (or rather, two numbers in them 3\2 :)

Code: Select all

8'h49 : begin // , <
					keys[2][4] <= release_btn | ~shift; // <
					keys[7][3] <= release_btn |  shift; // ,
				end
			8'h41 : begin // . >
					keys[2][3] <= release_btn | ~shift; // >
					keys[7][2] <= release_btn |  shift; // .
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

azesmbog wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:46 pm
pgimeno wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:33 pm When I press the "," key, I get a "." and vice versa.
if this is the case, I would try swapping two lines. (or rather, two numbers in them 3\2 :)

Code: Select all

8'h49 : begin // , <
					keys[2][4] <= release_btn | ~shift; // <
					keys[7][3] <= release_btn |  shift; // ,
				end
			8'h41 : begin // . >
					keys[2][3] <= release_btn | ~shift; // >
					keys[7][2] <= release_btn |  shift; // .
Thanks. Unfortunately I can't compile. Does anyone have a binary for the current version with the patch?

Also, am I the only one having this problem? I am using the 20201108 core.
azesmbog

Unread post by azesmbog »

pgimeno wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:45 pm Also, am I the only one having this problem? I am using the 20201108 core.
I checked the old versions from the last year - there the period and comma are normal.
Checked the latest version - yes, messed up.
Well, wait until they officially fix it.
I can compile, of course, if necessary.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

azesmbog wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:04 pm
pgimeno wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:45 pm Also, am I the only one having this problem? I am using the 20201108 core.
I checked the old versions from the last year - there the period and comma are normal.
Checked the latest version - yes, messed up.
Well, wait until they officially fix it.
I can compile, of course, if necessary.
Or just fix it and submit a pull request?
Psych0phobiA

Unread post by Psych0phobiA »

The keyboard is messed up because "most people just want to run games" and it's apparently easier with this change and the quote key weirdness. If you want better keyboard support, you can use the 20201109 release from this fork: https://github.com/JulianPaoloThiry/ZX-Spectrum_MISTer. The pull request for this effort was rejected because, again, "most people just want to run games". If you're curious what makes this keyboard better, read the notes starting on line 42 of https://github.com/JulianPaoloThiry/ZX- ... eyboard.sv.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Thank you for the explanation. Yeah, most people will probably just want to run games, but I don't see why that's an excuse. Having no mapping at all would probably be better. If I had to choose, I'd prefer to have < and > swapped, if it's a requisite to swap something in these keys. It was a nightmare to type in a long DATA line (see viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1678 which is how I found it). I had to use symbol shift + N to get a comma, and symbol shift (CTRL) is in a very uncomfortable position for that.

In my second emulator, I mapped CTRL to the real Caps Shift, ALT to the real Symbol Shift, and SHIFT was a "PC-style shift" that modified some keys according to the keyboard layout (I offered several to choose from). That way, you could be sure that when you wanted CS or SS you got it, regardless of what else you pressed. It also had the advantage that if you're used to a ZX Spectrum (non +) keyboard, the left CTRL and the right ALT are also at a location that allows your hands to go to a position that is somewhat intuitive to get extended mode. The right ALT is also in a position where SS symbols are not so hard to type when using the right hand for SS like in the real Spectrum. Additionally, I remember there was a game (was it Ant Attack? Scuba Dive? I don't remember well) that uses SS and Space for controls, and you could use left ALT and Space, which are in the right positions, without a major disturbance.

I've downloaded that core, thanks!
Hackshed_Carl

Unread post by Hackshed_Carl »

Sorg has fixed this is todays update