Spectrum core problem - Black screen

mrtomato

Spectrum core problem - Black screen

Unread post by mrtomato »

Hi I have problem with my new setup with SanDisk Ultra 512GB card. My previous setup was based on 128GB card. Now when I open core I have Black screen, not Spectrum screen. It is not card problem since I tester IT with h2testw before settings again mister. Now I use Update-All script not standard one.

I also have additional question since SNES core not handle MMU1 games, I saw YT video that probably beta core with MMU1 support exists somewhere, but IDK where.

Thanks for any help with fixing my problem and have nie day ;)
ZigZag

Re: Spectrum core problem - Black screen

Unread post by ZigZag »

For Speccy do you have the spectrum ROM in the folder?

"Installation:
Copy the *.rbf and spectrum.rom files to the root of the SD card."

ROM can be found in the "releases" folder:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/ZX-Spec ... ectrum.rom

Just copy it into same folder as the .rbf file.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

Did you make sure that the spectrum.rom is located in the root of the new SD card?
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I started having a kind of similar problem - but only when I try to boot into 48K Spectrum mode. The other ones (+2, Pentagon, etc) work OK. When i try to boot into 48k mode it either hangs on previous screen or produces a black screen (but not on borders).
mrtomato

Unread post by mrtomato »

akeley wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:06 pm I started having a kind of similar problem - but only when I try to boot into 48K Spectrum mode. The other ones (+2, Pentagon, etc) work OK. When i try to boot into 48k mode it either hangs on previous screen or produces a black screen (but not on borders).
My problem was as users above stated that I need spectrum rom... Without it I was only able to run *.z80 files.
lamp

Unread post by lamp »

I have the exact same problem. I boot to a black screen.

I have copied the spectrum rom files and the rbf files to the root of the sd card, and done a hard reboot, but nothing comes up on screen.

My DE10-Nano is brand new, but it has the 32MB RAM expansion, and Amiga core, megadrive,C64 core and other cores seems to work fine. Wondering why only my DE-10 is seeing this issue. I think I configured everything ok.
Richfx

Unread post by Richfx »

Do other PAL systems work for you? I had this problem until I uncommented 2 lines in the mister.ini file to let the system know what resolutions to use for PAL. Now all PAL cores work without having to do anything else

video_mode_ntsc=8
video_mode_pal=9

My computer monitor which I use for this HATES 720p so I set mine to 1080. It refuses to show 720p in PAL so that may be another issue with your setup.

Failing that, change the minimum frame rate to 60

vsync_adjust=1
refresh_min=60
lamp

Unread post by lamp »

An update. It seems that I somehow uploaded the wrong version of the ROM file into the folder (an older version).

I didn't realise it but the ROM file is tied to a particular release of the CORE, so I must have somehow got hold of an older release.
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

I have a problem with the ZX Spectrum +3 (128KB +3, ULA-128) version on a few of the later Ultimate games like Atic Attack, Sabre Wulf and Knightlore. The game loads fine. The menu screen appears and I choose Kempston and then hit start game. The game seems to start and I get a quick flash of the game and then it all goes black and seems to crash.

I'd try it on the original 48k Speccy but I can't figure out how to type LOAD ""
I managed the LOAD part by hitting J but can't do the "" :lol:
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

On a real +2/+3 you'd have to input "OUT 32765,48" in 48k Basic first, then load the game. You can do it in MiSTer too, and it works, but it's of course much simpler just to switch to 48k and load via LOAD "".

" is just a normal 101 PC keyboard quotation mark, either on number 2 or ' key. Unless you have some other keyboard - it still should be its default ".
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

I've tried the Shift 2 to get the " but it doesn't work. I'll give the OUT 32765,48 a go. Thanks
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

...but after the OUT you will have to type LOAD "" anyway :)
stevelup

Unread post by stevelup »

It's Symbol Shift + P on a Spectrum keyboard for a "
lister_of_smeg

Unread post by lister_of_smeg »

akeley wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:45 pm On a real +2/+3 you'd have to input "OUT 32765,48" in 48k Basic first, then load the game. You can do it in MiSTer too, and it works, but it's of course much simpler just to switch to 48k and load via LOAD "".
Selecting 48 BASIC from the 128/+2/+3 menu already locks the paging register. No need for the OUT command. You only need do that if you are using a expansion (i.e DivMMC) that forces the Spectrum to start in "USR 0" mode (48 BASIC with paging enabled).