How to flip a disk

Report2Marty

How to flip a disk

Unread post by Report2Marty »

Greetings!

I’ve been trying over and over to flip the disk for Maniac Mansion, but to no avail. When prompted I hit F12 mount the b side of the disk, go back to the prompt screen and hit the a button, then i get a message reading that there was an error reading disk.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cebion

Re: How to flip a disk

Unread post by Cebion »

When you dump a flippy disk on c64 you get two images. Image [Side A] Image [Side B].
But I think you did that already. Now I had the same problem with maniac mansion on a real c64 with copied disks from the previous owner. It wouldnt take the B side. I never could figure out why not and I think it is due to a bad dump or copy protection on the disk itself.

Have you tried another copy?
tontonkaloun

Unread post by tontonkaloun »

Hello !

Try these files
Attachments
Maniac_Mansion.zip
(209.56 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Report2Marty

Unread post by Report2Marty »

Greetings!

Thank you for your responses! So, no sooner than I posted this question, I got Disk 2 to load. Here’s what I did different. My first attempts I had chosen Razor as my third character, but this last time I chose the first 3 (Dave, Syd, and Michael) and it loaded no problem. I was even able to flip the disk to watch the TV. Could it be that the file included in the mister pack has a specific error triggered by selecting Razor?

Thank you for the download! I’ll swap it out this afternoon!
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Sounds like a bad image, try another version of the game.
ZigZag

Unread post by ZigZag »

Chris23235 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:14 pm Sounds like a bad image, try another version of the game.
Most likely a copy protection i induced malfunction the crackers failed to bypass.

There's an "easyflash" CRT version on CSDB. That wouldn't require any disk swap, it'll load faster and should be properly cracked.
tomxp411

Unread post by tomxp411 »

ZigZag wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:45 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:14 pm Sounds like a bad image, try another version of the game.
Most likely a copy protection i induced malfunction the crackers failed to bypass.
This sounds likely. Maniac Mansion didn't work for me when I tried to run it from SD2IEC a couple of years ago... but it DID work when I copied the image to a real 1541. So it may be imperfect 1541 emulation on the MiSTer core.