C64 mini keyboard as a MiSTer Commodore core keyboard

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

C64 mini keyboard as a MiSTer Commodore core keyboard

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Some months ago I ordered a working keyboard kit for my C64 mini. I haven't built it yet, because I wasn't sure I would be able to successfully separate the original keys (which are one piece for the original whole, non-working keyboard).

Recently this kit was featured at the Retro Recipes YouTube channel:

Now the developer mentioned at his blog https://bleughbleugh.wordpress.com/ that it would also be possible to make it into a stand-alone working mini C64 USB keyboard. Then I came up with the idea of using it for MiSTer, to keep everything portable.

I mentioned this idea to the developer and he was very enthusiastic about it and said that it already works as a USB keyboard, he uses it connected to a PC to test it. He also said if keys would turn out to be incorrectly mapped, he would fix that in the firmware.

The author is currently working hard on creating good looking mini replica keys, so you don't have to hack up the C64 mini keyboard. A housing for it hasn't been designed yet, though you could probably sacrifice a C64 mini if you don't plan on using it.

Anyway, this would seem like a really cool solution for Commodore cores. Not for typing in programs, but it would be great for occasional key presses in games.
cuvtixo

Re: C64 mini keyboard as a MiSTer Commodore core keyboard

Unread post by cuvtixo »

Although the Mini has so many flaws, it must be satisfying to rip that fake keyboard out and dissect it into little pieces. I can imagine myself talking to it, "Oh I have a use for you now and it involves cutting you into tiny little pieces!" lol. Be careful with that axe, Eugene! With a full functioning keyboard it would make the Mini a total waste... too many regrets.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

cuvtixo wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:02 pm Although the Mini has so many flaws, it must be satisfying to rip that fake keyboard out and dissect it into little pieces. I can imagine myself talking to it, "Oh I have a use for you now and it involves cutting you into tiny little pieces!" lol. Be careful with that axe, Eugene! With a full functioning keyboard it would make the Mini a total waste... too many regrets.
Hahaha, I can picture it in my mind. Actually when using Project Carousel USB, which is very actively being developed, the Mini becomes a lot better. And I really love the way the housing looks.

I was actually not looking forward to hacking the keyboard up, because I'm not too confident I'll do a good job of it. But the gadget-factor of having this mini keyboard actually work made it an insta-buy for me. Now hopefully the resin-printed key caps will turn out well.
schendel

Unread post by schendel »

If you are going to get a second system to take apart, it is quite easy to convert the C64 maxi to a USB keyboard.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=351
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

schendel wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:37 pm If you are going to get a second system to take apart, it is quite easy to convert the C64 maxi to a USB keyboard.
https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=351
I'm not getting topic reply warnings apparently.

That is really cool. The advantage of the mini is portability though.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Use the quick links at the top left right under the big Mister logo, then choose "unread posts" and you see all new posts made since your last visit.
I use it all the time!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

grizzly wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:03 pm Use the quick links at the top left right under the big Mister logo, then choose "unread posts" and you see all new posts made since your last visit.
I use it all the time!
Ooh, nice, I didn't see those yet, thanks for the tip! I was always clicking 'new posts' but that doesn't always show everything.

I had to subscribe to my own topic to get notifications :lol: