Does anyone have the Mega-Cart for the VIC-20 working?

teller

Does anyone have the Mega-Cart for the VIC-20 working?

Unread post by teller »

JudgeDrokk

Re: Does anyone have the Mega-Cart for the VIC-20 working?

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

I have a crt image of the MegaCart and would also like to have it running. I think it's an unusual beast.

In VICE it has its own launcher........... so something needs to be added to the CORE I guess?
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

Actually with Vice there is an option in the menu to attach among others, a Generic Image, A Mega-Cart Image etc...
I made some trial errors with the Mister and I found that by having the 8K ram additional selected, and the MegaCart loaded (remaned MegaCart.CTA), after a reset, I ended with the exact same behavior if I load the MegaCard under Vice by using attach a Generic Image. Both start the game Tooth Invaders and only this one.... Hope that a dev will dig into this in order to have as with Vice, the option to load this mega cart.

かすりん

teller

Unread post by teller »

Wicked that it loads only Tooth Invaders but not the menu itself. I hope we will get the option sooner or later. It's so much easier selecting all the games from the MegaCart menu. I always have troubles loading the games directly. Besides pushing Ctrl + F11 each time, sometimes I need to switch from NTSC to PAL to get the game actually working.
macro
Core Developer

Unread post by macro »

Looks like the mega cartridge has 32k of ram, 8k of nvram and 2mb of rom in there.
so it can be used as all of the different memory expansions as well as bank switching 256 8k cartridges.

tooth invaders is in the first bank, so that is all that is seen if you load it as a normal cartridge.

not sure if each cartridge in there allows it to specify the ram expansion that goes with it as well, but would need support for the bank switch registers and maybe the nvram to hold settings even if you selected the ram expansion via the normal menu.
Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee