C64 SID player

Grumpy-Old-Gamer

C64 SID player

Unread post by Grumpy-Old-Gamer »

Would it be possible to add a .SID player to the core ?

I had a Turbo Chameleon a few years ago and that had one which was a nice and handy feature
commander

Re: C64 SID player

Unread post by commander »

oh yes, great idea!.
Hope somebody will do it. C64 Sid Music rules
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

Would probably make more sense to set up the core to let it see the SID files directly on the SD card with a program like https://sourceforge.net/projects/sidplay64/ and how the Ultimate 1541 uses the With REU & Command Interface mode with Sidplay64 .. (it might even work now with the recent core updates .. I have not tried it myself)
Hackshed_Carl

Unread post by Hackshed_Carl »

I've wished this myself but I think that the bigger picture would be to have a "Chiptune player" that is a separate core that is able to load files for any of the retro sound chips.

This is certainly "possible" as most sound chips have been implemented into different cores however, the problem lays with dev interest in creating such a core.

Maybe one day it'll happen but for now, I'm not holding my breath as most core devs focus on what interests them and not what people like us simply wish would appear.

From experience, I've tried learning about core development but even the simplest of things are far more complicated than my brain can process.

For this particular request, I'm excited but not expectant.
pomegran

Unread post by pomegran »

Hi all,

If anybody is interested, I have created a test D64 file including Sidplayer and Martin Galway's best tracks. You can get it from here and run within Mister:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MSrQGV ... sp=sharing

If you like it I'm happy to create a few more for other famous artists (Hubbard, Daglish, Follin, Huelsbeck etc.)

Easy to load. Just do LOAD "*",8,1 and RUN.

Just some points of note:
  • Does not work with Dolphindos for some reason so you'll need to use a standard 1541 drive :-(
  • For some reason Combat School crashes Sidplayer (also does this on a real C64 too!)
Be patient with load times :-)

Hope you find it useful.
TonyBat

Unread post by TonyBat »

Hi there! I’m new to the forum. :mrgreen:

I wanted to share a solution I’m using to have a (sort of) SID player with the C64 core. You lose a little of the retro experience, but it is very convenient.
The HVSC archive can also be downloaded in PSID64 format, where each file is a prg with its own player. So you can create a directory like games/C64/Music, save there your preferred SIDs and then start them from the core menu. They start in an instant because prg files are injected into memory and run, and you can use long file names. Within the player you can change tune with keyboard and joystick.

The link to the pack is just under the two tables with the main archives, on the official site here: https://hvsc.c64.org/downloads