trouble loading some C64 games (d64 format)

Texemosis

trouble loading some C64 games (d64 format)

Unread post by Texemosis »

hello, there was some education programs I did at school way back then and I wanted to see them again. Designasaurus loads just fine, Spellicopter, however just shows white garbage symbols on the screen and crashes. Sticky Bear Math loads to the title screen, Sticky Bear does his juggling animation but then the game never loads up. So, any ideas? I tried both Dolphin and Speedy Dos. Same results for both.
kathleen
Top Contributor

Re: trouble loading some C64 games (d64 format)

Unread post by kathleen »

Hi @Texemosis,

I had a look to the game Sticky Bear and it seems that some disk images on the net are "not compatible" with the C64 Core (maybe also on a real C64, I do not know). Anyway, I found a fully working image of this education program here : https://csdb.dk/release/?id=154860
Let's try on your side, it should work as well. I guess this is the same for the other programs showing issues, it could be interesting to try other versions.

かすりん

Texemosis

Unread post by Texemosis »

ah, the game gets past the title screen now but alas it consistently crashes on specific screens. I think I have my work cut out for me.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

With some programs on the C64 it is necessary to try out different images. It is worse on other cores like the ZX Spectrum, but happens on the C64 as well. These images weren't necessarily made to work on FPGAs or on real hardware, they were intended to work with emulators. Because of this it looks like the FPGA is less accurate then the emulator when in fact it is quite the opposite.