c64 "humming" sound after modem connection

jalbarracin

c64 "humming" sound after modem connection

Unread post by jalbarracin »

When using ccgms ultimate, if i dial any address it connects OK but, after the "modem handshaking sounds", it leaves the sound channel open with a very subtle "humming" sound.

Didn't noticed it because I used my Mister with a low volume, but if you put it a little high you will hear the buzz.

Hope this can be corrected. best!
jalbarracin

Re: c64 "humming" sound after modem connection

Another sad issue :( trying to fix the issue I updated midi-link with the midilink-update script.
After that modem does not dial :'( :'(
tried everything. CCGMS Ultimate "talks" with the modem, when i type atz it returns OK
but after using the atdt command with any address it just hangs there :(
it seems like the "dial" command is stalled by something.
Hope anybody can help.
jalbarracin

I don't know if this is related but found that the command "atdir" (which in theory shows the contents of the MidiLink.DIR file) also stops working when I send the command atdir.
All other "hayes" commands work. The only one that does nothing is atdt :(
if i re-install mister should this be fixed?
jalbarracin

Is there an easyway to reinstall core-files to fix this?
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

jalbarracin wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:50 pm it seems like the "dial" command is stalled by something.
Possibly a DNS issue. Please make sure your DNS is working and report back.

What happens if you do

ATDT127.0.0.1

it should dial and connect to itself.
jalbarracin wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:31 pm I don't know if this is related but found that the command "atdir" (which in theory shows the contents of the MidiLink.DIR file) also stops working when I send the command atdir.
All other "hayes" commands work. The only one that does nothing is atdt :(
if i re-install mister should this be fixed?
I recently checked on a change in my repo is supposed to allow for a different MidiLink.DIR per core.

Maybe I broke MidiLink.DIR completely.

Please revert back:
jalbarracin wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:58 pm Is there an easyway to reinstall core-files to fix this?
grab the SD installer and extract the file linux.img.
replace /media/fat/linux/linux.img on your SD

Please don't run MidiLink update.

This is script is only to assist people who are assisting testing out WIP features.

Once I am fairly confident there are no regressions, I will generally submit a PR for these changes to be included the main repo.
jalbarracin wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:18 pm When using ccgms ultimate, if i dial any address it connects OK but, after the "modem handshaking sounds", it leaves the sound channel open with a very subtle "humming" sound.

Didn't noticed it because I used my Mister with a low volume, but if you put it a little high you will hear the buzz.
I'm not sure if this bug is related to the modem sounds or something with ALSA in general. The way the code works, it seems unlikely to me it would be the DTMF tones causing it...

Could you try out ATMP3 and play a MP3 file (ATMP3! to stop) and report back if its 'humming" after that?

You'll need to put at least one MP3 file in /media/fat/MP3
jalbarracin

Hi
bbond007 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:22 pm What happens if you do

ATDT127.0.0.1
Same thing, it stays waiting and nothing happens. Not a dns issue. PPP works in AO486 Core (I can connect to IRC using mIRC32 without any issue)
bbond007 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:22 pm I'm not sure if this bug is related to the modem sounds or something with ALSA in general. The way the code works, it seems unlikely to me it would be the DTMF tones causing it...

Could you try out ATMP3 and play a MP3 file (ATMP3! to stop) and report back if its 'humming" after that?

You'll need to put at least one MP3 file in /media/fat/MP3
I will try to test that, but don't know how to do it? just ATMP3 /name/of/directory/file.mp3 ?

Best!!
Javier
jalbarracin

OK I played an MP3 with the ATMP3 command and confirm that after the end there is the "hummmm" sound. So it seems an ALSA problem.

In the *bad news side* I grabbed the linux.img file from the Mr.Fusion distro img, It was 20mb so It made me doubt (the one installed is around 300mb) so just renamed the old to oldlinux.img and copied the new.. then reboot and ... just a black screen :'(

I inserted the SD Card to my PC and edited the oldlinux to linux.img and it works ok. Where can I obtain the latest linux.img file?
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

jalbarracin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:38 pm I will try to test that, but don't know how to do it? just ATMP3 /name/of/directory/file.mp3 ?
Looks like you figured it out, but for anyone else interested:

just ATMP3

It will present you with a menu of dirs and files...
jalbarracin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:04 pm OK I played an MP3 with the ATMP3 command and confirm that after the end there is the "hummmm" sound. So it seems an ALSA problem.
Now its making me go "humm" :) as i have no idea how to fix the issue.

I really have never noticed it, but maybe its more prevalent on your config.

You could always set TCP_SOUND=FALSE in MidiLink.INI to disable the sound.

Alternately you set your modem INIT string to include M0:

ATZ&M0
jalbarracin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:04 pm In the *bad news side* I grabbed the linux.img file from the Mr.Fusion distro img, It was 20mb so It made me doubt (the one installed is around 300mb) so just renamed the old to oldlinux.img and copied the new.. then reboot and ... just a black screen :'(

I inserted the SD Card to my PC and edited the oldlinux to linux.img and it works ok. Where can I obtain the latest linux.img file?
I'm not super familiar with Mr.Fusion, but I believe it is an SD card image and what you want is the linux filesystem image...

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Inst ... n64_MiSTer

release_20210711.rar - is currently the latest.

files\linux\linux.img
jalbarracin

Hi, eveything works great. I just inserted the SD Card to my PC and copied all my games, configs... after that I re-installed with mr. fusion, setup networking and updated with the update_all script. All my configs work O.K. and also for example my "THEC64" keyboard input file works as if nothing happened. Very HAPPY!! Thank you *VERY* much for your great help!