Has Anyone Got ADC Working In C64

allyourbasekris

Has Anyone Got ADC Working In C64

Unread post by allyourbasekris »

I know it had been added but for the life of me I can't get it work. The C64 will start to load the tape .wav and then it'll fail. I'm using a high quality audio player and it works fine for the speccy and amstrad cores. Has anyone had any luck with this? Thanks all.

kathleen
Top Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Got ADC Working In C64

Unread post by kathleen »

allyourbasekris wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:12 pm I know it had been added but for the life of me I can't get it work. The C64 will start to load the tape .wav and then it'll fail. I'm using a high quality audio player and it works fine for the speccy and amstrad cores. Has anyone had any luck with this? Thanks all.
On my side I do confirm that it works pretty well. I'm using an "simple" tape player, not a high-end, a simple portable like the one that I used back in the days.
I guess that you're using the headphone output and not the AUX right ?
When it does not work on my side, it is due to a wrong audio level or a bad tape.
You can also try to load a .WAV file via any Windows player, it should also work.

When you say it fail, what does this mean, is the C64 find anything ? I mean do you see after a "short" while on the screen after a load (Shift / Esc on std C64) : FOUND 'PRG NAME" ? or does this not appear at all ?

かすりん

NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

I've loaded .wav files using Dropbox from my iPhone. One thing I've noticed if I don't hit a key soon after the file is found the game fails to load properly. The MiSTer tape device doesn't auto-pause like on a real C64 tape drive waiting for a keypress to continue the tape load. Could that be the issue?
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

NML32 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:00 pm I've loaded .wav files using Dropbox from my iPhone. One thing I've noticed if I don't hit a key soon after the file is found that the game fails to load properly. The MiSTer tape device doesn't auto-pause like on a real C64 tape drive waiting for a key press to continue the tape load. Could that be the issue?
This is due to the fact that the C64 stops the motor of the tape player right after the FOUND 'XXXX" appears on the screen. Either it restarts the motor after a while without touching anything or manually once the C(ommodore) key is pressed.

As the control of the motor (remote of the tape player) is not handled by the core, this needs to be done manually (the play/pause on the tape player or any source device like phone, windows etc).

It would be a nice feature to get this remote control implemented (for those like me which are still using a portable tape player having the in/ou/remote), but this seems to be not so easy. I asked this for the COCO core but no way. Maybe possible but not easy to put in place and will require some additional hardware as I understood, mainly to make the galvanic insulation between the Mister and the device (motor).

かすりん

allyourbasekris

Unread post by allyourbasekris »

Thanks you two. I got it working by whacking space after it found a file to load. Simple when you know how.
NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

allyourbasekris wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:35 pm Thanks you two. I got it working by whacking space after it found a file to load. Simple when you know how.
:D Cool, I'm glad it was something simple. :)