Insector Hecti in the Interchange bug or core bug? [Solved]

AmintaMister

Insector Hecti in the Interchange bug or core bug? [Solved]

Unread post by AmintaMister »

Hi all!

Today my sister played at Insector Hecti in the Interchange, a game of her childhood but suddenly, at the stage of the game you can see in the screenshot below, the game stops. It doesn't freeze, because the background parallax keep moving, but the player and the enemy characters are completely stopped.

What can be the problem? The version of the game or the core?

The version played is "Interchange (1991)(Hi-Tec Software)[cr Active][t +3 Active].prg".

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all!

EDIT: I've tried other .prg / .d64 versions of the game and, above all, I've tried a perfect raw copy in G64 format using original C64 Kernel and loading the disk without hacks: it produces the same bug.

The bug is: suddenly, the character graphics freezes but the parallax background keeps scrolling; after some time, all characters disappears and the screen says "Level Cleared" but whatever key or joy button you presses the game doesn't resume.
IMG_1216.jpeg
IMG_1216.jpeg (223.32 KiB) Viewed 5751 times
EDIT
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Insector Hecti in the Interchange bug or core bug?

Unread post by akeley »

Did you try the .dsk versions? There's >20 of them, by different crackers, and as it quite often is on C64 some might not be working.

I played one and it worked ok for a few levels, but then I died and since you haven't noted the level number the crash happens on, it does not mean much. It's a nice little puzzler, but it has over 700 levels so...

(got the same telly btw ;)
AmintaMister

Ok, I've tried "Inspector-Hecti-in-the-Inter-Change-plus3P-VAN.d64", same result, as from picture:

IMG_1287.jpeg
IMG_1287.jpeg (254.02 KiB) Viewed 5710 times
AmintaMister

EDIT: I've tried other .prg / .d64 versions of the game and, above all, I've tried a perfect raw copy in G64 format using original C64 Kernel and loading the disk without hacks: it produces the same bug.

The bug is: suddenly, the character graphics freezes but the parallax background keeps scrolling; after some time, all characters disappears and the screen says "Level Cleared" but whatever key or joy button you presses the game doesn't resume.
AmintaMister

Ok, I've tried the original game from original hardware (Commodore 64C and Commodore 1541 Drive) and I get the same error: so I've changed the joystick and no more errors! The culprit was a faulty Albatros Joystick!