Difficulty with "modem"

rhester72
Top Contributor

Difficulty with "modem"

Unread post by rhester72 »

I followed the directions for serial support (UART Connection: MIDI, MidiLink: Remote, Type: TCP) and loaded Striketerm 2014 (confirming baud to be 2400), but I can't get basic communication with itself working - typing anything at all just results in the same C= graphics character being printed. Something is listening, because "at" results in a longer string of the same garbage characters being returned than just, for example, hitting RETURN, but I can't seem to get any actual data back. I've tried PAL and NTSC, I've tried a full config reset (C64 and UART) - can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I've also tried manually setting the MIDI baud rate to 2400 and MIDI with no change (what should it be?).
Threepwood

Re: Difficulty with "modem"

Unread post by Threepwood »

In the OSD of the C64 core you need to set "User Port:" to "UART". It is set to "Joystick" by default.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

rhester72 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:35 am I've also tried manually setting the MIDI baud rate to 2400 and MIDI with no change (what should it be?).
The new OSD "Change UART Baud" (or Soundfont) options won't work (for now) unless you have updated MidiLink with midilink_updater.sh

The INI is set for 2400 for the C64 core. You can verify (or change) this by checking the "[C64]" section in "/media/fat/linux/MidiLink.INI"
Threepwood wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:30 am In the OSD of the C64 core you need to set "User Port:" to "UART". It is set to "Joystick" by default.
Yes, that will most likely fix the behavior you describe.

Joysticks 3 and 4 also utilize the USER port. Joysticks 1 and 2 will still be available...
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Thanks to you both - sorted!