Easy filexechange by mounting vhd on MiSTer from Windows

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Easy filexechange by mounting vhd on MiSTer from Windows

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Maybe everybody besides me already knew this, then feel free to ignore the post. I just realised that I can mount the VHD files on my MiSTer directly in Windows by browsing to the MiSTer from the explorer.
For me this makes transferring larger files like CD-Images much easier than using the shared folder. Copying files from the shared folder to one of the VHD drives from within the core takes much longer then mounting the VHD in Windows and transferring the files directly.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Easy filexechange by mounting vhd on MiSTer from Windows

Unread post by Newsdee »

Yep, that works with the Samba access, albeit my setup of Samba has been flaky for some reason (I sometimes can't see the MiSTer on the network).

Another way to transfer files is to copy files under /media/fat/games/ao486/shared/ and then use MISTERFS.EXE to see it from within the core.
That method is only good for copying files in DOS though... meaning you will need to copy your files in the VHD drive to use it. But it's much more convenient since you can just copy files via Filezilla to the /shared/ folder.
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

Keep in mind though that you eject the vhd cleanly every time. It can happen that the file is still in use and corrupts itself that way
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Newsdee wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:13 am Yep, that works with the Samba access, albeit my setup of Samba has been flaky for some reason (I sometimes can't see the MiSTer on the network).

Another way to transfer files is to copy files under /media/fat/games/ao486/shared/ and then use MISTERFS.EXE to see it from within the core.
That method is only good for copying files in DOS though... meaning you will need to copy your files in the VHD drive to use it. But it's much more convenient since you can just copy files via Filezilla to the /shared/ folder.
Copying larger files via the shared folder is extremely slow for me, it takes me 20 minutes to copy a 200 MB ISO file, but maybe this is just something with my setup. But even with fullspeed I would find mounting the VHD more convenient because I don't have to copy files 2 times (one to the shared folder via FileZilla and another time from the shared folder to the VHD).
I think what is more convenient depends on your taste by mounting the VHD I can access and copy files from within the Windows Explorer without even ejecting it from my MiSTer in the other room, for me this is the most convenient way.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

I use wired Ethernet, so it's pretty fast. But I agree: whatever works best for you is fine! :)
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:19 am
Newsdee wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:13 am Yep, that works with the Samba access, albeit my setup of Samba has been flaky for some reason (I sometimes can't see the MiSTer on the network).

Copying larger files via the shared folder is extremely slow for me, it takes me 20 minutes to copy a 200 MB ISO file, but maybe this is just something with my setup. But even with fullspeed I would find mounting the VHD more convenient because I don't have to copy files 2 times (one to the shared folder via FileZilla and another time from the shared folder to the VHD).
I think what is more convenient depends on your taste by mounting the VHD I can access and copy files from within the Windows Explorer without even ejecting it from my MiSTer in the other room, for me this is the most convenient way.
No it's not you. Copying files from the shared folder into the vhd from within ao486 is very slow and not worth it for large file sets. Even copying in between two vhds attached to primary and secondary is slower than coping files into the mounted vhd. Like others have said, if you don't unmount cleanly or try to use it while using it on the ao486, you can corrupt the file structure. (I've had folders overwrite other folders with its contents, including overwriting the windows directory with a game.) Don't be like me. :)
ZigZag

Unread post by ZigZag »

I keep one AO486 VHD on the MicroSD & the 2nd VHD on external HDD. If you copy from & to the same MicroSD it will be slow. Use 2 different storage devices in AO486 if possible. Also, HDD will generally work better for OS, & if using Win 95/98 turn virtual memory off.

I think the poster was talking about connecting & transferring files from PC to MiSTer though, not using inside AO486.

AFTERTHOUGHT: I wonder if we could eventually do a RAID setup using multiple USB's & VHD's to speed up w/r....
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

If you want to copy more than 50mb or so, its probably best to just take the USB or SD card and plug it directly into your PC. It might have decent transfer speeds when you use Samba, but it is also likely very slow even with a cable. I think it depends on whether a core is running. That seems to use up the MiSTers resources. But even when it is working, this is a USB 2 connection going through a USB hub, if its a USB anyway, and if its on the SD card... well, that might be faster, I am not sure.

I have a very fast USB stick though that supports about 300mb/s read and write. The way HDD is done in AO486 means that copying files from one VHD to another, or just from the same to the same, the speed is very slow. 10MB will take several minutes. Same goes for the shared folder using MiSTerFS.