Can't bring up the OSD in the ao486 core?

TheMrAwesomeness

Can't bring up the OSD in the ao486 core?

Unread post by TheMrAwesomeness »

Hi, I'm brand new to the Mister, I just got my De10-nano today and set it up. Really liking it so far. I have been able to get cores to work and have mapped actions to my controller. However, upon starting the ao486 core, I could not get the on screen display to show up. Neither my controller nor my keyboard work. I know I am supposed to press the Windows key at the same time as F12 for this core, but that didn't work. No matter what I type, either, nothing shows up on the command prompt. Because of this, I have the feeling my keyboard is not detected for some reason. It works perfectly fine everywhere else, I was able to play the Turbografx core without a problem. I'm stuck here, since without being able to bring up the OSD, I can't install DOS on this core. Does anyone know what could possibly be contributing to my issue?
paulbnl
Core Developer

Re: Can't bring up the OSD in the ao486 core?

Unread post by paulbnl »

Is your Main MiSTer up to date?
TheMrAwesomeness

Yeah, first thing I did was connect it via ethernet and I assume it was the most recent firmware that was downloaded.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

check you've d/loaded the a0486 core and all the necessary files, boot0/boot1 etc.. check the file sizes are correct..
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
TheMrAwesomeness

I've checked and it seems I have all the files I need, according to the guides I read/watched. I tried with another keyboard, with the same results, so I ruled out it being an issue with this keyboard, specifically. Here is a picture of what the boot screen looks like when I start the ao486 core, and a couple screenshots of what files I have on my SD card. Let me know if anything in these pictures seems off. https://imgur.com/a/QNHOuaW
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Don't assume the update scripts are going to do every little thing for you. I would go back to the instructions for the core and walk through each line in detail: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/ao486_MiSTer
It is probably the boot roms.
TheMrAwesomeness

OK. The boot roms are the ones linked in the GitHub page, though. I’ll try redoing the process from scratch and see if that helps.
TheMrAwesomeness

I can't find much info for guides to using this core, but all the boot screens I found look slightly different than the one that I experienced. My boot screen didn't show the revision number and only showed "Booting from Hard Disk," there is no "Booting from Floppy" message that appears. Also, the "options: eltorito" is something I have not seen on anyone else's boot screen that I was able to find. It looks like something is wrong with my setup for this core, but I meticulously followed the instructions on the GitHub page again, even tried previous versions of the .rbf file to see if it made a difference, but the same results occurred. Here is a comparison of my boot screen with another boot screen I was able to find in a video guide. Maybe the boot roms on GitHub are bad and I need to download them from somewhere else? Maybe there are some settings in the main menu I need to tweak for the core to run properly? https://imgur.com/a/MalAiNf
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

none of those VHD files you have (1990 etc) are bootable drives.. not that it matters if you can't get into the OSD.. i'm confused as to why windows+F12 isn't working..
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
TheMrAwesomeness

I ran the update script again and the OSD works now. Not sure why it didn't before. Thanks for the advice.