Advice for Setting Up DOS Games

TheMrAwesomeness

Advice for Setting Up DOS Games

Unread post by TheMrAwesomeness »

Hi, I recently successfully installed DOS 6.2 on my Mister ao486 core, but don't know where to go from here. I found a few .vhd DOS game compilations on Archive.org and have been able to mount them, but I can't figure out how to bring up the games. The GitHub page only explains how to set up the core, as well. Information on this core seems scarce compared to others, and there are a few video tutorials for setting up the core, but they don't cover how to actually start a game. I have smaller, about 2GB .vhd's, because I don't have space for one of those 500GB all-in-one packs, although I would love to. I know there are some launchers that you can use, so you can easily select the game you want from a menu, instead of having to type everything in the command prompt, but I don't see much info as to how to install one of those things. Does anyone have some sort of guide or tutorial to recommend, for someone who wants to set up small .vhd packs on this core for DOS 6.2 to play games?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: Advice for Setting Up DOS Games

Unread post by flynnsbit »

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCERFWN ... subscriber
Basically every video I have created in the last 10 days covers everything you are asking for. Also:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1156
TheMrAwesomeness

Unread post by TheMrAwesomeness »

Cool, thanks! Ran into some of your vids while researching, but wasn't sure which ones to look for. Thanks for letting me know to watch the most recent vids! Been itching to play some Commander Keen on my Mister, so hopefully not too much longer.
HMPoweredMan

Unread post by HMPoweredMan »

Basically you're setting up a DOS computer which I'm sure you know but for others that stumble on this thread.

After you get your DOS installation you'll need mouse drivers. Cutemouse is the go-to and you can just drop that executable on the vhd anywhere. Then you can add it to the autoexec.bat

edit system.cfg
edit autoexec.bat

dir /w /p
cd
cd..

These commands will be your friend

Install games like you would a real PC
Mount the floppy
A:\setup

The installer should run you through the rest.
Specific audio setups are listed on the ao486 GitHub

As for launchers I like to keep it simple and use Launchbox for DOS
You define your own games and can add additional commands if needed.