Digital Audio Workstations?

HMPoweredMan

Digital Audio Workstations?

Unread post by HMPoweredMan »

Hey everyone.

I'm looking for good DOS era or Windows 3.11 digital audio workstation softwares that can interface with all the sound cards on the a048

Soundblaster (Adlib OPL3)
Gameblaster (Creative Music System)
MIDI (Roland Sound Canvas or General MIDI)

Has anyone developed anything like that or is there some old software worth trying out?
Cakewalk has come up in my search but it seems to be midi only?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/inde ... ml#msg2918

Maybe there is something for each individual card.
MostroW

Re: Digital Audio Workstations?

Unread post by MostroW »

Trackers were a thing back then which i know of, what about FastTracker 2?
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

The soundcards with the part in parentheses you mentioned are all MIDI based (just notes, etc. not PCM recorded waveforms). There were MIDI programs like Cakewalk and others, and there were trackers that played .MOD and .S3M files like FastTracker 2 that was mentioned. These were like MIDI files in that they were note based but also contained PCM recordings of the instruments so they typically sounded much better because they could contain anything for instruments, even people. The demos like Second Reality had this type of music and it was great. If you want to mix MIDI devices with WAV/PCM files I don't know if Cakewalk could do this or not, but back then this was less common as far as I know. There was Windows Sound Recorder for recording and playing back WAV files, but this was separate from MIDI.
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

ScreamTracker i think could use both the FM chip on the Soundblaster as well as the digital audio...