TSR Trainer like Action Replay for DOS.

zeen

TSR Trainer like Action Replay for DOS.

Unread post by zeen »

I remember back in the DOS days that there was a software only TSR trainer for DOS. I don't remember the program name. Anyone remember the program name?

Thank you,
ash2fpga

Re: TSR Trainer like Action Replay for DOS.

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Game Wizard 32 is the one I remember.
zeen

Unread post by zeen »

The program is in the link bellow.

https://anapan.525lines.moe/Game%20Wizard.htm
zeen

Unread post by zeen »

I was able to install it and appears to be working fine. The program won't work with Qemm. Requires expanded memory. I haven't tried to cheat in a game yet.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Yeah, its a great program. Especially because you can use it for much more than just cheating. Save states, pause the game, use a DOS prompt while in a game, take screenshots, slow down a speed up a game.

The Pro version does not work with the new bios though that is used to get SVGA support for some reason. Unless maybe that got fixed in one of the updates.
zeen

Unread post by zeen »

I updated the bios to the latest and the registered version is not working. :(
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

zeen wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:34 am I updated the bios to the latest and the registered version is not working. :(
Yeah, that is what I just pointed out. The bios that supports SVGA graphics, somehow conflicts with the registered version of GW32Pro. I have tried many things, and it just wont work.

It even has to be a pretty old version of the bios as there is a new VGA bios as well, which also wont work with GW32. It sad because its actually an app I usually use to benchmark DOS systems to see how compatible they are, and AO486 feels a bit less compatible without it... and its also just fun to play around with.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Oh... I found something interesting.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=19292

"During installation they scan the bios portions and store a checksum somewhere,
so if you change the system (update dosbox) you'll have to reinstall."

So the problem I have been having, and probably others as well... is that when Game Wizard 32 Pro is installed, part of its copy protection is that it stores a checksum of the bios the computer has when installed. Pretty clever actually.

So that probably explains why we have trouble getting GW32Pro to run after updating the bios, even if its just to another VGA bios instead of the SVGA bios. I will try to do some tests later.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

It worked... it worked! :D Installing GW32 again makes it work. Still difficult to get it to work without crashing under FreeDOS, but works pretty well under DOS 6.22 and 7.x. Ahh... it also makes so much more sense than perfectly working drivers would somehow stop it from being able to launch.
zeen

Unread post by zeen »

Great, thank you very much. :)
Caldor wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:50 am It worked... it worked! :D Installing GW32 again makes it work. Still difficult to get it to work without crashing under FreeDOS, but works pretty well under DOS 6.22 and 7.x. Ahh... it also makes so much more sense than perfectly working drivers would somehow stop it from being able to launch.