Unable to point the ao486 core to VHDs on my USB hard drive -- why not?

corysnyder28

Unable to point the ao486 core to VHDs on my USB hard drive -- why not?

Unread post by corysnyder28 »

Hi all - I've got my boot VHDs on my USB hard drive (/media/usb0/games/a0486) , but I'm unable to point the ao486 core to them because I can't see my external USB drive from with the core's IDE setting menus.

I think no issue with the external drive itself, as I can run Mega CD games off the same USB drive (usb0/games/MegaCD) using the MegaCD core on my MiSTer's SD card with no issues.

On my MiSTer, I have a media/fat/games/a0486 directory that I can see from within the a0486 core, but my VHDs are too big to fit on my SD card, so I'm trying to run those and the full Flynn kit of that external USB drive.

I'd thought removing the /fat/games/ao486 directory from my sd card would force the core to look at the /games/ao486 directory on my USB drive. But doing this just results in a "Missing Directory" A0486" messages when I try to set the VHDs.

Can anybody suggest where I'm going wrong? Thanks.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Re: Unable to point the ao486 core to VHDs on my USB hard drive -- why not?

Unread post by bbond007 »

One solution would be to issue the following command in the console (F9) or connected via SSH...

Code: Select all

ln -s /media/usb0/ao486 /media/fat/ao486/usb0
Then you should see a "usb0" folder in the OSD which points to "/media/fat/usb0/ao486"

This works well for me and allows me to have additional VHDs which won't fit on my 256GB SD card which is unfortunately almost filled to capacity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ln_(Unix)

Also, you don't need to call the symlink "usb0" - you could name it whatever you'd like...

Hope that helps...
toastboy

Unread post by toastboy »

@bbond007 - typo in yr response, should be

"ln -s /media/usb0/ao486 /media/fat/ao486/usb0"
tribloke

Unread post by tribloke »

I too sym linked this yesterday as I couldn't get it to work without doing so.
chanunnaki

Unread post by chanunnaki »

I had the problem where the external HD would sometimes mount in usb0 and other time usb1.

I edited the fstab to mount in usb0 every time at boot, but it still happened sometimes when I cold reboot. Not sure why it happens to be honest. The symlink is a nice trick. I might try it with both usb0 and usb1 if my problem persists.