eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

Tofana10am

Re: eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support

Unread post by Tofana10am »

Selecting QEMM fixed my problem. I’ll check the ALT F5 using EMM386 to see what exactly was/is going on. Thanks for your quick response!
Kaeril

Unread post by Kaeril »

Hi,

I could install and use your DOS pack, many thanks for this great time saver.
Warcraft 2 doesn't seem to work for me though. The game boots to the main menu, but trying to run the main campaign will stuck the game in a loop where it asks for the CD and can't find it, even though the script got it mounted properly.

I checked with your 14 hours video and it seems that you didn't try to run the campaign, and validated the game just from the fact it could boot to the main screen, but didn't try to go further. So I don't know if it's a real issue or if it's on me. Could anyone else give it a try and report, please?
charmless

Unread post by charmless »

Kaeril wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:30 pm Hi,

I could install and use your DOS pack, many thanks for this great time saver.
Warcraft 2 doesn't seem to work for me though. The game boots to the main menu, but trying to run the main campaign will stuck the game in a loop where it asks for the CD and can't find it, even though the script got it mounted properly.

I checked with your 14 hours video and it seems that you didn't try to run the campaign, and validated the game just from the fact it could boot to the main screen, but didn't try to go further. So I don't know if it's a real issue or if it's on me. Could anyone else give it a try and report, please?
I just tried it, same for me. Just keeps asking for the CD.

Also discovered that the Launcher have stopped working for me for some reason, keep getting an error message instead of the normal start..setup window.

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Looks like Warcraft II doesn't like my D: CD drive hack. Just change the drive letter in the configs to F:\ and it will work. Here is a video on the process and changes you need to make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsm_Z25 ... e=youtu.be
Don't just change the war2.ini in the base directory or the run.bat will just overwrite it with the ones in either SB16 or SC55. Fix those and then run.bat will move it and fix the game for you.
charmless

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:28 pm Looks like Warcraft II doesn't like my D: CD drive hack. Just change the drive letter in the configs to F:\ and it will work. Here is a video on the process and changes you need to make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsm_Z25 ... e=youtu.be
Don't just change the war2.ini in the base directory or the run.bat will just overwrite it with the ones in either SB16 or SC55. Fix those and then run.bat will move it and fix the game for you.
Awesome, Thank You!

Do you have any idea why the Dos Launcher keeps giving me error messages? For now I'll just start the games from the dos prompt, no big deal, but it's weird that it just stopped working.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

charmless wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:53 am
flynnsbit wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:28 pm Looks like Warcraft II doesn't like my D: CD drive hack. Just change the drive letter in the configs to F:\ and it will work. Here is a video on the process and changes you need to make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsm_Z25 ... e=youtu.be
Awesome, Thank You!

Do you have any idea why the Dos Launcher keeps giving me error messages? For now I'll just start the games from the dos prompt, no big deal, but it's weird that it just stopped working.
Give me the error, screenshot, or something to work off of and I can help you. what does it do when you type TDL on E:\
bengmo

Unread post by bengmo »

Wow this pack looks amazing, needs Artic Adventure and Pharoh's Tomb!
charmless

flynnsbit wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:03 pm
charmless wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:53 am
flynnsbit wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:28 pm

Looks like Warcraft II doesn't like my D: CD drive hack. Just change the drive letter in the configs to F:\ and it will work. Here is a video on the process and changes you need to make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsm_Z25 ... e=youtu.be

Awesome, Thank You!

Give me the error, screenshot, or something to work off of and I can help you. what does it do when you type TDL on E:\

Thats what the error looks like. I have not messed around with anything. When i type TDL from E it starts the launcher. It's not every game that gives the error message, seems to be around 50% of them. But it's no big deal, they start fine from dos.

bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

charmless wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Thats what the error looks like. I have not messed around with anything. When i type TDL from E it starts the launcher. It's not every game that gives the error message, seems to be around 50% of them. But it's no big deal, they start fine from dos.

That is an issue with the chosen color scheme. You'll notice the same thing if you press F10...

You can change "COLOR_WIN_BODY= 99h" to "COLOR_WIN_BODY= 9Eh" (in TDL.INI) and then should be able to see the error.

The leftmost "9" is the background color and rightmost "9" is text color, so those ideally should NOT be the same.

You can see available color combinations by running "E:\games\-utilityi\pallette.exe" or within TDL pick "palette.exe" under "-Utilities and System Files".

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

bbond007 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:16 pm

That is an issue with the chosen color scheme. You'll notice the same thing if you press F10...

You can change COLOR_WIN_BODY= 99h to COLOR_WIN_BODY= 9Eh (in TDL.INI) and then should be able to see the error.

The leftmost "9" is the background color and rightmost "9" is text color, so those ideally should NOT be the same.

You can see available color combinations by running "E:\games\-utilityi\pallette.exe" or within TDL pick "palette.exe" under "-Utilities and System Files".

Oh no! It's like that in the original pack ini... I need to fix that in the updater....

The color problem is not their issue though, it looks more like it couldn't find files in the game folder extracted location.

charmless

bbond007 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:16 pm

You can change "COLOR_WIN_BODY= 99h" to "COLOR_WIN_BODY= 9Eh" (in TDL.INI) and then should be able to see the error.

thanks! I'll give that a try so I at least can see what the error message says.

buttersoft

Unread post by buttersoft »

Hi Flynn,
Where would be the best place to report non-working ExoDOS games that re not part of your top 300 pack? I'm happy to do it here, but would raising an issue on the exoDOS-converter github be preferred?
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

buttersoft wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:07 am Hi Flynn,
Where would be the best place to report non-working ExoDOS games that re not part of your top 300 pack? I'm happy to do it here, but would raising an issue on the exoDOS-converter github be preferred?
I have noticed Screamer is in the collection. Pretty sure this game requires FPU and wont run on the AO486. I got a physical copy of the game and it has been one of the games I have attempted to get working.

I do not think the github would be relevant for this, as the exoDOS converter is more general than the AO486.
buttersoft

Some things not working on the MiSTer are due to config options not set right - I'm fixing those where i find them for my VHD. Other things might be compatibility-related, but the ExoDOS converter has recently added the MiSTer output option, so it's not irrelevant there either to my mind. They may not even want to do anything but flag such games, i guess. I just don't want to piss in anybody's pool until i know which one is most heavily chlorinated :)
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

buttersoft wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:07 am Hi Flynn,
Here: https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_updates/issues
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

But everything I do gets sourced back to ExoDOSConverter through Voljega, but let's keep the pack specific issues to that github above and I will work through them. This entire pack was created using the Converter and Voljega and I spent weeks working to get it where it is today for the MiSTer option. It still needs more to prevent having to touch any configs or re-do games but I need to get through the update scripts first.

On my github, There is an update zip release out there that fixes about 9 games in the pack, but the actual scripting to extract it over the existing pack isn't done. I am close though.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Sorry @buttersoft, you said not part of my top 300 pack,. The better place would be under the 7000 game github here: https://github.com/flynnsbit/ExoFlynn_scripts/issues
AeroCity

Unread post by AeroCity »

Found a bug - maybe tied to the release or a crack:

Little Big Adventure / Relentless:

Using the motorcycle on the 2nd island results in the motorcycle glitching out and shifting towards the bottom of the screen.

Sadly, this is a gamebreaking bug that is not circumventable. :(
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

AeroCity wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:03 pm Found a bug - maybe tied to the release or a crack:

Little Big Adventure / Relentless:

Using the motorcycle on the 2nd island results in the motorcycle glitching out and shifting towards the bottom of the screen.

Sadly, this is a gamebreaking bug that is not circumventable. :(
Can you share the save game maybe? I can try to see if it helps using the CD version of the game.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

I have the update scripts working for the pack now so I can update it if you find the issue. For those that have the ExoDOS collection it is always good to drop to that and test on a Windows box and see if it does the same thing.
buttersoft

Flynn, the System Shock 1_start.bat first line in your top300 pack looks like this:
imgset ide11 "/cd/SystemSh/system_.cue"
Should it be set to ide10? I did that and it works for me now...

Also, i can't get Warcraft II to run at all, it just crashes after the CD fix you posted. Your video fix for that is down, by the way, but I can go into the war2.ini files easily enough. Do i need to change the start.bat file as well? Or remove the subst D: d or however that goes?

in addition, i can't get that Bioforge fix to work. Every time i open the setup, the sound settings are back to default or whatever, they never seem to save. I can copy the install.opt file into SB16 and SC55, but it's not doing anything noticeably different, just crashing.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

RE SystemSh, yup that is fat fingered and should be IDE-10.

I have fixes in github for Warcraft II and Bioforge in these checkins. : https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... mmits/main

I also have the Mister update script working so that you can just pull down a pack updater and it fixes all games and configuration problems found. Seems to work well. We are getting to a point where it will just be run a script and 5-10 games start working.
buttersoft

One more, not sure if you fixed it because your fixes video has no sound, but... I couldn't get any sound in Wing Commander 2. Game loads fine, but is completely silent for me.

if you go into e:\games\(yourwingcom2dir)\WC2DLX\CD\wing2\ and run winstall.exe you can set up the soundblaster for speech, port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1.

This then shows that speech is enabled on launch for WC2, SO1 and SO2, sound works, and you can hear Thrakath speaking to his grandfather the emperor in the main intro :)

Thanks for the updates - now i have my custom HDD working, i just want a few files, not the mister update script as i tend to customise things heavily - or any just pick and choose.

EDIT: i also had a bit of trouble with those updates. I downloaded the fixes for Bioforge and Warcraft2 directly from your github (https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... 7c59/games) and overwrote my existing folders/files.

But the Bioforge 1_start.bat file doesn't run the game. And the 4_edit.bat doesn't do anything. I simply edited 1_Start to mount the CD image and then change into directory Bioforge and run Bioforge.exe - which worked.

Haven't tested Warcraft 2 yet but i'll report back when i do.

Is there a zip for the update pack that i could have grabbed?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

riblad_om

Unread post by riblad_om »

I've got the initial vhds up and running, but am having a bit of a hard time understanding the update instructions. My AO486 directory looks like

cd\
floppy\
boot0.rom
boot1.rom
IDE 0-0 BOOT-DOS98.vhd
IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games.vhd
msdos.vhd
Win95.vhd

Do I need to create a /shared/ directory? Do I copy update.zip in this directory, or unzip the contents of update.zip into this directory?

Not sure how to add UpdPack.BAT to my E:\games-utiliti\ directory. Is this inside one of the vhds?
buttersoft

Hmm, i still can't get Warcraft 2 running :( was there meant to be a subst command somewhere? Sorry to be a pain. Hopefully I'm not making you run in circles fixing the same stuff over and again :)

Also, may i ask what the new joystick.exe file is for? What does it do? Can i run it to config anything?

I filed an issue on the 7000 games list github. Still working on a few more...

Hi riblad_om,
Your setup files look fine. using it on the mister will create the shared directory for you when it's needed. The E:\games\-utiliti directory is on the main, larger vhd. You can mount that vhd in windows - it will show up as two drives. Just copy files across to the right place.
riblad_om

buttersoft wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:50 am Hi riblad_om,
Your setup files look fine. using it on the mister will create the shared directory for you when it's needed. The E:\games\-utiliti directory is on the main, larger vhd. You can mount that vhd in windows - it will show up as two drives. Just copy files across to the right place.
Thanks! I was tired last night and was missing that mounting the image resulted in two separate drives, so I can see where the -UTILITI folder is now. I'm not sure about the the /shared/ folder, though. I've run some games but I don't have a E:\games\AO486\shared on my usb drive. Should I just make it and unzip the update.zip into there?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

riblad_om wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:21 am I've got the initial vhds up and running, but am having a bit of a hard time understanding the update instructions. My AO486 directory looks like

cd\
floppy\
boot0.rom
boot1.rom
IDE 0-0 BOOT-DOS98.vhd
IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games.vhd
msdos.vhd
Win95.vhd

Do I need to create a /shared/ directory? Do I copy update.zip in this directory, or unzip the contents of update.zip into this directory?

Not sure how to add UpdPack.BAT to my E:\games-utiliti\ directory. Is this inside one of the vhds?
Don't use update pack yet. That's bleeding edge. I should make the github private until that is ready. No support for that yet. I'll fix it today.
For now, you can manually copy update.zip to /games/ao496/shared. Then move updpack.bat anywhere onto the pack, and put jchoice.exe in e:\utils. Then you can just run that updpack.bat script.

I would REALLY advise backing up your vhd first.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

shared is on the Mister side under /games/ao486/shared/ This allows you to drop files there over samba/ftp/etc and then you can get access to that directory from within AO486 core. That uses a product called Misterfs and is already setup in my packs to mount to Z:\

so somewhere on the mister side, drop a file you want access to within the vhd, in games/ao486/shared (has to be 8.3 format) and then simply go to Z: and copy the file where you want to.
riblad_om

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:15 pm shared is on the Mister side under /games/ao486/shared/ This allows you to drop files there over samba/ftp/etc and then you can get access to that directory from within AO486 core. That uses a product called Misterfs and is already setup in my packs to mount to Z:\

so somewhere on the mister side, drop a file you want access to within the vhd, in games/ao486/shared (has to be 8.3 format) and then simply go to Z: and copy the file where you want to.
I can hold off on doing any updating, but there's a couple things about your explanation I don't grasp yet if you don't mind:

1) All my games are on usb. Is the point of the /shared/ folder simply the convenience of being able to ftp into the mister without having to manage the usb directly? What should I do if I'd rather just plug my usb drive into my pc and manage from there? fwiw, my /media/fat/games/AO486 is empty.

2) updpack.bat is easy to find but I don't know where to find jchoice.exe. I did a search of the update.zip and both vhd files.