Depricated.

spikemorrissey

Re: eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support

Unread post by spikemorrissey »

grizzly wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:13 pm Also if FTP was used to move the script to the mister make sure it is using binary as file transfer not text or auto.
That could mess up the files otherwise.

thanks for trying to help. I changed my FTP transfer to binary but still got the same problem sadly
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

spikemorrissey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:27 am
flynnsbit wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:24 pm Whoa, something is not right there. You should be getting a shell screen that looks like this:
update.png

You need to re-download your update file. Don't copy and paste the contents from github, instead, use wget or the zip file linked in the readme, and then extract it to your mister: \\mister\fat\Scripts

I redownloaded the file below following the instructions and I get exactly the same problem sadly

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flynn ... 00_Pack.sh
Are you running get from the mister itself in an SSH session or from your own machine and copying it?
spikemorrissey

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:55 am
flynnsbit wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:24 pm Whoa, something is not right there. You should be getting a shell screen that looks like this:
update.png

You need to re-download your update file. Don't copy and paste the contents from github, instead, use wget or the zip file linked in the readme, and then extract it to your mister: \\mister\fat\Scripts

I redownloaded the file below following the instructions and I get exactly the same problem sadly

Are you running get from the mister itself in an SSH session or from your own machine and copying it?
I opened up putty on my pc and then connected to my misters ip address ran it from there and then copied it over using binary transfer with WINSCP
I didnt know it was possible to open up an ssh session directly from the mister! - Is that what I need to do? - if so how do I do that please?!
spikemorrissey

spikemorrissey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:18 am

I opened up putty on my pc and then connected to my misters ip address ran it from there. I then connected to the mister clicked on the script and got that error box.
I didnt know it was possible to open up an ssh session directly from the mister! - Is that what I need to do? - if so how do I do that please?!
spikemorrissey

spikemorrissey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:20 am
I opened up putty on my pc and then connected to my misters ip address ran it from there. I then on the mister scrolled down to the script and got that error box.
dwmcqueen

Unread post by dwmcqueen »

This pack is great! Already spent hours playing the games on it.

I did notice a little quirk with Dune 1992. If you select the CD version, you can't save a game. I dug a bit and it looks like the WRI parameter passed to start the program is incorrect (in the run.bat). However, I edited it to be right and it still didn't save so something else is amiss.

In any case - tremendous work!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

I opened up putty on my pc and then connected to my misters ip address ran it from there and then copied it over using binary transfer with WINSCP
All you have to do is to make sure that the script is saved in the correct path /media/fat/Scripts and then run the script itself from the Mister System Settings menu where you can see the Scripts option among the others (i.e. Remap keyboard, Define joystick buttons and Reboot).

By selecting the Scripts menu from there you will see all the scripts available including the one you need to update the AO486 pack. In fact it should be the first of the list.
spikemorrissey

That's what I do and that's the error message I get. I can successfully update all other cores using the main update script so this is very strange.

Thanks for trying to help.

Alkadian wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:07 pm
All you have to do is to make sure that the script is saved in the correct path /media/fat/Scripts and then run the script itself from the Mister System Settings menu where you can see the Scripts option among the others (i.e. Remap keyboard, Define joystick buttons and Reboot).

By selecting the Scripts menu from there you will see all the scripts available including the one you need to update the AO486 pack. In fact it should be the first of the list.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

spikemorrissey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:14 pm That's what I do and that's the error message I get. I can successfully update all other cores using the main update script so this is very strange.

Thanks for trying to help.

Alkadian wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:07 pm

That's very odd indeed. I have tried again from my side and it worked. I can't think of anything else, I am afraid.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

try this.
Putty to your mister and when at the prompt type:
cd /
cd /media/fat/Scripts
then just run the update by typing AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh from right there. (not in the mister menu but over the SSH connection)
spikemorrissey

I tried the new method and initially it didn't work as it said it 'couldn't find the disk image'

Then I saw that it was looking in /media/fat/games/ao486 yet my mister was set up as /media/fat/ao486 so I changed the script to read games_subdir="/media/fat"

and it has worked!

Thank you for your help. Perhaps it might be worth putting in the readme for other people who have their Mister set up similiarly?

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:14 pm
try this.
cd /
cd /media/fat/Scripts
then just run the update by typing AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh from right there. (not in the mister menu but over the SSH connection)
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

spikemorrissey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:08 pm I tried the new method and initially it didn't work as it said it 'couldn't find the disk image'

Then I saw that it was looking in /media/fat/games/ao486 yet my mister was set up as /media/fat/ao486 so I changed the script to read games_subdir="/media/fat"

and it has worked!

Thank you for your help. Perhaps it might be worth putting in the readme for other people who have their Mister set up similiarly?

try this.
cd /
cd /media/fat/Scripts
Auto CD mounting in the VHD might not work if you are using /ao486 instead of /games/ao486. You will know pretty quickly when cd's try and mount and it doesn't work.
spikemorrissey

How do I rectify that please?
Is it just a matter of copying everything over to /games/ao486?
How then would I get the mister to point to that folder just for ao486?
flynnsbit wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:48 am
spikemorrissey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:08 pm I tried the new method and initially it didn't work as it said it 'couldn't find the disk image'

and it has worked!

try this.
cd /
cd /media/fat/Scripts
Auto CD mounting in the VHD might not work if you are using /ao486 instead of /games/ao486. You will know pretty quickly when cd's try and mount and it doesn't work.
buttersoft

Unread post by buttersoft »

ao486 will default to looking for games/a0486, wont it?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

yeah just move it into games, reboot your mister and it will pick up the new location.
spikemorrissey

How will it pick it up? - as when the mister boots up it just lists the cores in media/fat
As an example I just put the experimental jaguar core in games and my mister cannot see that, it just sees whats in media/fat/_computers and media/fat/_consoles

Thanks for your help
flynnsbit wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:23 pm yeah just move it into games, reboot your mister and it will pick up the new location.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

spikemorrissey wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:35 pm How will it pick it up? - as when the mister boots up it just lists the cores in media/fat
As an example I just put the experimental jaguar core in games and my mister cannot see that, it just sees whats in media/fat/_computers and media/fat/_consoles

Thanks for your help
flynnsbit wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:23 pm yeah just move it into games, reboot your mister and it will pick up the new location.
the cores go into the directories you references, the games/roms/vhds/ao486 files go into /games/corename
mister file_io does a search, see the /media/fat/games/ reference in the code:

Code: Select all

int findPrefixDir(char *dir, size_t dir_len)
{
	// Searches for the core's folder in the following order:
	// /media/fat
	// /media/usb<0..5>
	// /media/usb<0..5>/games
	// /media/fat/cifs
	// /media/fat/cifs/games
	// /media/fat/games/
	// if the core folder is not found anywhere,
	// it will be created in /media/fat/games/<dir>
	static char temp_dir[1024];
spikemorrissey

I moved it over and it wouldn't boot up at all!
Every game seems to be working the other way - how can I test a CD mounting please?
flynnsbit wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:26 pm
spikemorrissey wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:35 pm How will it pick it up? - as when the mister boots up it just lists the cores in media/fat

Thanks for your help
the cores go into the directories you references, the games/roms/vhds/ao486 files go into /games/corename
mister file_io does a search, see the /media/fat/games/ reference in the code:

Code: Select all

int findPrefixDir(char *dir, size_t dir_len)
{
	// Searches for the core's folder in the following order:
	// /media/fat
	// /media/usb<0..5>
	// /media/usb<0..5>/games
	// /media/fat/cifs
	// /media/fat/cifs/games
	// /media/fat/games/
	// if the core folder is not found anywhere,
	// it will be created in /media/fat/games/<dir>
	static char temp_dir[1024];
Xzarian

Unread post by Xzarian »

I tried mounting a games vhd I built using the steps in flynnsbit's youtube video, but I get error "invalid drive specification" and "Secondary VHD not mounted" when using IDE 0-0 BOOT-DOS98.vhd. Is there anything I need to update in the os vhd or is my games vhd no good?

It mounts fine under windows 10 and all the files seem to be where they need to be. I can also access the vhd and files using a boot floppy, and fdisk shows disk correctly as fat32.

Thanks,
"MiSTer is not a garbage can with random functions used by 1-2 people."
-Sorgelig
Alkadian
Top Contributor

@flynnsbit,

Yesterday I have enjoyed watching your channel's update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEyNDPc2Bug

that was very informative, thank you!

I would have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1. I have noticed that your startup menu looks slightly different from mine. Please refer to the attached screenshots. I have already updated the pack. Would you recommend to re-download the pack and the run the update script?

2. At some point during your video you have switched from Munt to Fluidsynth. Is there any particular advantage in doing so?

3. Have you had a chance to compare the MT32-pi with the Midilink option?

Many thanks!
Attachments
My setup.png
My setup.png (1.75 KiB) Viewed 7915 times
Flynnsbit setup.png
Flynnsbit setup.png (715.91 KiB) Viewed 7915 times
mapf

Unread post by mapf »

Hi,

I also have the old-style config.sys like @Alkadian. I have run the update script successfully.
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

Hi, after successfully running the update script twice I still have the previous boot menu and the games with issues still have the heart instead of !, also the list isn't browsable with mouse or pad. It's like that despite the update script went fine, I still have the old menus. Maybe it's a problem with the update pack as seems happened with others too?
mapf

Unread post by mapf »

Interestingly, I get the new menu with the "!" marking games with problems, but not the latest config.sys/autoexec.bat
mapf

Unread post by mapf »

I just ran Dune CD with the wrong config (EMM386, I believe), and it automatically restarted with a different setup in config.sys. Now I have the new menu.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

The new boot menu is a hacked version of the DOS IO.SYS file and I felt a bit funny about having that in the update pack. If you want it, drop both of these files in the root of our C: VHD and reboot. https://github.com/flynnsbit/scripts/tr ... r/DOS_MENU

IO.SYS Changes the Menu header to AO486, all I did was use a HEX editor and find the location where the title was and changed it for AO486.
Config.sys has:
The timeout set for HIMEM so if you are using a joystick it will actually select it eventually.
Descriptions for each mem config for general users to better understand the options.
Order changes of the menu as more of a priority list, with the less used items at the bottom.
Color changes, and I think that is it.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:32 am @flynnsbit,

Yesterday I have enjoyed watching your channel's update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEyNDPc2Bug

that was very informative, thank you!

I would have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1. I have noticed that your startup menu looks slightly different from mine. Please refer to the attached screenshots. I have already updated the pack. Would you recommend to re-download the pack and the run the update script?

2. At some point during your video you have switched from Munt to Fluidsynth. Is there any particular advantage in doing so?

3. Have you had a chance to compare the MT32-pi with the Midilink option?

Many thanks!
1. changes in the previous post, just pull those files down
2. MUNT is for MT-32 mode and Fluidsynth is for Sound Canvas. If you are on the latest v0.7.3 update then the game selection menu will automatically select the right mode for you on the mt32-pi so you don't have to worry about it.
3. mt32-pi will beat the midilink option in most things, just based on the horsepower available to it which is why everyone is excited.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

flynnsbit wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:02 pm
1. changes in the previous post, just pull those files down
Great, many thanks for the files. I have already downloaded both of them.
2. MUNT is for MT-32 mode and Fluidsynth is for Sound Canvas. If you are on the latest v0.7.3 update then the game selection menu will automatically select the right mode for you on the mt32-pi so you don't have to worry about it.
Thanks fully understood!
3. mt32-pi will beat the midilink option in most things, just based on the horsepower available to it which is why everyone is excited.
Excellent, that sounds very good to me.

Thanks.
MrX_Cuci

Unread post by MrX_Cuci »

@flynnsbit I love all the automated stuff. It's great! I just want to let you know Rebel Assault is really slow. I can't remember it being that slow in loading. The game itself runs fluid as I remember it. Keep up the great work.
virtuali

Unread post by virtuali »

Hi guys, I'm new here and wanted to ask if anybody managed to run Falcon 3.0 without crashing.

I've seen flynnsbit video in which he tested it, but the problem is that he went only as far as reaching the main menu, which works just fine for me as well. The problem happens when entering flight: the program freezes after 10 seconds or so in flight, anybody managed to run ?

Falcon 3.0 is one of the few games that used an FPU. However, as far as I know, it's only used by the "hi-fidelity" flight model and, the manual says that, if no math coprocessor is found, the "complex" flight model will be used instead automatically, even if the you select high-fidelity, suggesting the game should run fine with no fpu.

Note that, the very same install folder works just fine with DosBox or PCEm ( I'm using the same VHDs as the Mister ), the crash seems to happen only on the Mister, do you have any ideas ?
Teknostorm

Unread post by Teknostorm »

@flynnsbit great work putting this pack together.

After a bit of trial and error this evening I have managed to get Heroes of Might and Magic 2 working by doing the following:
  • Mount the IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games.vhd file under Windows.
  • Select the mounted VHD and browse to games\HEROESOA\heromm2d\CD.
  • Copy the bin and cue files from this folder.
  • On your SD card or USB drive browse to Game\AO486\cd and create a folder called heromm2d.
  • Paste the bin and cue files into the heromm2d folder.
  • Select the mounted VHD again and browse to games\HEROESOA\heromm2d.
  • Open the RUN.BAT file in a text editor.
  • Look for the line :POLSB16.
  • Comment out the line below this by changing it to REM imgmount d ".\eXoDOS\heromm2d\CD\Heroes of Might and Magic 2 - The Price of Loyalty.cue" -t cdrom
  • Underneath this add the line imgset ide10 "/cd/heromm2d/Heroes of Might and Magic 2 - The Price of Loyalty.cue"
  • Save the file and unmount the VHD.
  • On your MiSTer launch Heroes of Might and Magic 2 from the launcher, select 2 to load The Price of Loyalty and then 1 to use SoundBlaster audio.

I've played through the first level of the campaign and everything seemed to work fine.