eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

akeley
Top Contributor

Re: eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support

Unread post by akeley »

Seems you're still using flynn's boot vhd. Try to unmount everything in MiSTer's OSD. If the vhd you made has DOS installed you can then mount it and use just that. Alternatively you can mount yours as secondary and still use flynn's boot vhd, it just needs some tweaks in autoexec.cfg to stop it looking for its own stuff.
hooxxx

Unread post by hooxxx »

Hi,

How can I enable text in ultimate talkie edition of Secret of Monkey Island? I want to play with both text and voice acting.
Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

hooxxx wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 am Hi,

How can I enable text in ultimate talkie edition of Secret of Monkey Island? I want to play with both text and voice acting.
Do you have an MT32 Hat?
hooxxx

Unread post by hooxxx »

Swainy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:27 am

Do you have an MT32 Hat?
Yes I have, sound works fine (music and voice acting) no problems here but I want to eneble text/subtitles.
Moosey82

Unread post by Moosey82 »

hooxxx wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:31 am

Do you have an MT32 Hat?
Yes I have, sound works fine (music and voice acting) no problems here but I want to eneble text/subtitles.
Control & T changes the text and speech options.
hooxxx

Unread post by hooxxx »

Moosey82 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 am
hooxxx wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:31 am

Do you have an MT32 Hat?
Control & T changes the text and speech options.
thank you! can't belive it was this simple :lol:
nizce

Unread post by nizce »

Hi,

I'm having trouble with starting CD games.
When starting the dig for example I get an error saying:

"No files found -> D:/*.*
Add "/cd/dig/thedig.cue" TO /GAMES/AO486/CD/"

If I quit TDL to DOS and try D: and then dir, I get a general failure reading drive F(yeah it says F even though I'm on D:)
After quitting TDL it also says "secondary VHD not mounted!". I guess it is expecting it to be mouted to D: but seems it's mounted to E: for some reason.

HAs anyone else had this issue and know how to fix it? :)
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

nizce wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:40 pm Hi,

I'm having trouble with starting CD games.
When starting the dig for example I get an error saying:

"No files found -> D:/*.*
Add "/cd/dig/thedig.cue" TO /GAMES/AO486/CD/"

If I quit TDL to DOS and try D: and then dir, I get a general failure reading drive F(yeah it says F even though I'm on D:)
After quitting TDL it also says "secondary VHD not mounted!". I guess it is expecting it to be mouted to D: but seems it's mounted to E: for some reason.

HAs anyone else had this issue and know how to fix it? :)
A couple of things:
1. Yes, in the pack the F: drive is the actual CD drive that is mapped in DOS, then the D: drive is a like a symbolic link to F:. D: and F: are the same.
2. GPF usually means the disc didn't mount correctly. If you manually try and mount it using the mister menu, then at the dos prompt run a DIR on either D: or F:, does that work?
3. IF so, you just need to fix your paths. it would need to be exactly the way it is called in the 1_LAUNCH.BAT script for The Dig. You can edit that script using the 3_EDIT.BAT command in the same directly. That will just open EDIT 1_LAUNCH.BAT in the event you want to change the launch script. Look for the exact path that is being mounted and make sure that is exactly like the folder structure you are using. Sometimes it can be case sensitive, if your SDCARD or USB drive is formatted using NTFS.

Last ditch effort, rename your thedig.bin file to thedig.iso and see if you can mount the iso, if so, just change the launch script to reference .iso instead of .cue/bin.

All of this should have worked out of the box with the pack though...
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

I'm also having this problem, Every CD-based game I attempt to play fails with with the same error nizce reported. Furthermore, I can say that going into the OSD, mounting the CD image again (literally just selecting IDE 1-0, navigating to the same image, and selecting it again) causes the error to clear and lets me play the game normally after a moment.

It seems like it might be a problem with imgset, it isn't mounting the image properly despite the image being listed in the OSD as mounted prior to me mounting it again myself. I'm curious to know if mounting the correct image via the OSD fixes it for nizce like it does for me.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Mr. Encyclopedia wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:04 pm I'm also having this problem, Every CD-based game I attempt to play fails with with the same error nizce reported. Furthermore, I can say that going into the OSD, mounting the CD image again (literally just selecting IDE 1-0, navigating to the same image, and selecting it again) causes the error to clear and lets me play the game normally after a moment.

It seems like it might be a problem with imgset, it isn't mounting the image properly despite the image being listed in the OSD as mounted prior to me mounting it again myself. I'm curious to know if mounting the correct image via the OSD fixes it for nizce like it does for me.
That sounds like the issue that was in the main core but that was fixed a while ago. Assuming you have updated mister to the latest, and updated the pack to the latest from github?

If your directories are ANY where else besides /media/fat/games/ao486/cd then the imgset isn't going to work right. (USB will work if you let mister map it correctly to /games/ao486/etc... imageset is case sensitive if it is NTFS volume. If you are trying to use /ao486/cd instead of it being in /games, not going to work. etc...

If you have multiple /ao486 (USB and SD) or /games/ao486 on both, imgset isn't going to work. Lots of people get hung up on that because of the update_all script.
Mr. Encyclopedia

Hmmm, is it possible that the recent switch from /media/fat to /media/sdcard might be causing an issue? All my CDs are in /media/sdcard/games/AO486/cd. It seems like I have the case lined up, but from what I remember the last time I troubleshot this the full path isn't in LAUNCH.BAT, so it's possible that imgset isn't looking in the right place. The only confusing part is the correct CD image does show up mounted in the OSD, but it doesn't work until I re-mount it myself.

I also had difficulty getting the updater script to work, I ended up having to download the script to my scripts folder and run it myself rather than run the one that automatically pulls the script from github, because that one would fail to find the VHDs despite them being exactly where they're supposed to be. I poked around the code in the script but I couldn't figure out why it wasn't looking in the right place. Maybe I should put on my programmer hat and add some lines to make it tell me exactly where it's looking. The curious thing is when I ran the actual updater script after downloading it manually it seemed to work just fine. Now I'm really starting to wonder if these two problems are related.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Mr. Encyclopedia wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:56 pm Hmmm, is it possible that the recent switch from /media/fat to /media/sdcard might be causing an issue? All my CDs are in /media/sdcard/games/AO486/cd. It seems like I have the case lined up, but from what I remember the last time I troubleshot this the full path isn't in LAUNCH.BAT, so it's possible that imgset isn't looking in the right place. The only confusing part is the correct CD image does show up mounted in the OSD, but it doesn't work until I re-mount it myself.

I also had difficulty getting the updater script to work, I ended up having to download the script to my scripts folder and run it myself rather than run the one that automatically pulls the script from github, because that one would fail to find the VHDs despite them being exactly where they're supposed to be. I poked around the code in the script but I couldn't figure out why it wasn't looking in the right place. Maybe I should put on my programmer hat and add some lines to make it tell me exactly where it's looking. The curious thing is when I ran the actual updater script after downloading it manually it seemed to work just fine. Now I'm really starting to wonder if these two problems are related.
Yeah that sounds highly likely. Something "funny" with your setup when compared to what I expect. Probably not "wrong" but just different. I haven't seen any reports of the /sdcard switch causing an issue, as /media/fat still exists and functions. I would lean to something like AO486/Ao486/ao486 or you have another ao486 directory that mister is picking up first. (like in the root)

If the linux script for the ao486 updater couldn't find the VHD then you know it is something there. Imgset is probably having the exact same issue.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

It would be cool if there were versions of this for the various different popular game companies, like all Sierra games, all Lucasfilm games, all id software games (at least the ones that work), all Might and Magic games, all Ultima games, etc. and some way to mount the corresponding VHD on the fly from a menu. Just a suggestion for the future. Thanks! :-)
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

thorr wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:05 am It would be cool if there were versions of this for the various different popular game companies, like all Sierra games, all Lucasfilm games, all id software games (at least the ones that work), all Might and Magic games, all Ultima games, etc. and some way to mount the corresponding VHD on the fly from a menu. Just a suggestion for the future. Thanks! :-)
If you look on archive you will see some other packs from other creators, including one with all the Sierra and adventure games.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

It's really easy to DIY: just put the games you want in a directory, run the TDL script on that directory and then put the result on a vhd.
nizce

Unread post by nizce »

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:33 pm
A couple of things:
1. Yes, in the pack the F: drive is the actual CD drive that is mapped in DOS, then the D: drive is a like a symbolic link to F:. D: and F: are the same.
2. GPF usually means the disc didn't mount correctly. If you manually try and mount it using the mister menu, then at the dos prompt run a DIR on either D: or F:, does that work?
3. IF so, you just need to fix your paths. it would need to be exactly the way it is called in the 1_LAUNCH.BAT script for The Dig. You can edit that script using the 3_EDIT.BAT command in the same directly. That will just open EDIT 1_LAUNCH.BAT in the event you want to change the launch script. Look for the exact path that is being mounted and make sure that is exactly like the folder structure you are using. Sometimes it can be case sensitive, if your SDCARD or USB drive is formatted using NTFS.

Last ditch effort, rename your thedig.bin file to thedig.iso and see if you can mount the iso, if so, just change the launch script to reference .iso instead of .cue/bin.

Hi,
Just tried to manually mount the image and it worked, as in I could browse the files on D:
Before I manually mounted the image from the OSD I saw that I looked as it was mounted(but got GPF), probably from my last try do start the game vid TDL.

My 'cd' folder is placed here /media/fat/games/AO486/cd/
But I noticed that the error screen says: add "/cd/dig/thedig.cue" TO /GAMES/AO486/CD/."
My games folder is lower case while the above error message in capitals. Perhaps it's not case sensitive(I use SMB/CIFS).

One thing I also noticed is that the 1_START.BAT that says:
CALL imagery ide10 D "/cd/dig/thedig.chd" "/cd/dig/thedig.cue"
The .cue files look correct and points to the .img file, but I have no .chd file in the /cd/dig folder.
Perhaps I should change that to something else, but not sure?
nizce

Unread post by nizce »

I’ll just set it up from scratch again :)
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

nizce wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:04 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:33 pm
A couple of things:

Hi,
Just tried to manually mount the image and it worked, as in I could browse the files on D:
Before I manually mounted the image from the OSD I saw that I looked as it was mounted(but got GPF), probably from my last try do start the game vid TDL.

My 'cd' folder is placed here /media/fat/games/AO486/cd/
But I noticed that the error screen says: add "/cd/dig/thedig.cue" TO /GAMES/AO486/CD/."
My games folder is lower case while the above error message in capitals. Perhaps it's not case sensitive(I use SMB/CIFS).

One thing I also noticed is that the 1_START.BAT that says:
CALL imagery ide10 D "/cd/dig/thedig.chd" "/cd/dig/thedig.cue"
The .cue files look correct and points to the .img file, but I have no .chd file in the /cd/dig folder.
Perhaps I should change that to something else, but not sure?
The CHD thing is okay. That is for people who wanted to compress all their CD's for more disk space so the script is setup to try either file.
nizce

Unread post by nizce »

Just setup the pack again with original files, still the same issue though.
Tried both before and after running the update script for the 300 pack, same issue :(
Dumb question, the error message seem to indicate that there should be a cd directory inside the /games/ao486/cd/ directory, I guess that's just a type-o?
ex. /games/ao486/cd/cd/dig/thedig.cue

Any other ideas?
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

akeley wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:44 am It's really easy to DIY: just put the games you want in a directory, run the TDL script on that directory and then put the result on a vhd.
Thanks. In order to get all the various sound and video options like there is in the top 300 pack, would I need to get the huge exopack that has every game in it, then delete all the folders I don't want, then run the script? Or if I just find the game somewhere else, will the TDL script create all the various sound and video options for it?
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

thorr wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:18 pm Thanks. In order to get all the various sound and video options like there is in the top 300 pack, would I need to get the huge exopack that has every game in it, then delete all the folders I don't want, then run the script? Or if I just find the game somewhere else, will the TDL script create all the various sound and video options for it?
Nah, there's no script that clever :) The TDL script just adapts your zipped collections to the TDL launcher format. All the game settings need to be done manually - at least in case of individual games pulled from the net. Maybe if you pull games from eXoDOS itself they're already adjusted.

I don't actually use the 300 pack myself so can't say 100% sure how it works regarding the settings. The TDL unpacks all the games into cache.dir, and so if you make any config changes that's where they will be saved. It's probably the same with the 300.

For small collections I think it could be actually better to skip the TDL and just make a vhd with unpacked games which boots to Dos Navigator or a similar program. TDL is cool, but I prefer to launch games old school style, feel a bit more in control this way. So I use it only for my big by-year packs, to check stuff out.

If you want the already-set up games then yes, I suppose you'd have to get the big pack and then copy games from its cache directory.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Thanks! I do like the command line approach as well for nostalgia reasons, but I also like all the sound and video options provided by the 300 pack. They make it very easy to try the Roland MT-32, Sound Canvas, Adlib, Game Blaster, etc. without having to run the setup every time, and it seems to always just work where it doesn't always when trying to do it on the command line. There are modes that I didn't know existed like the talky mode in Monkey Island. I think I will just get the huge Exodos collection and see if I can get a few select games to work and then once I figure it all out, make the perfect VHD with just the games I care about. I also like the demos like Second Reality and it would be nice to have everything in one place, or multiple VHD's as I suggested above. I will probably check out the Sierra/Adventure collections that flynnsbit mentioned as well. They may suit most of my needs of what is missing from the top 300.
nizce

Unread post by nizce »

Mr. Encyclopedia wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:04 pm I'm also having this problem, Every CD-based game I attempt to play fails with with the same error nizce reported. Furthermore, I can say that going into the OSD, mounting the CD image again (literally just selecting IDE 1-0, navigating to the same image, and selecting it again) causes the error to clear and lets me play the game normally after a moment.

I just got it working when I tried placing the cd folder in /media/fat/ao486 and not /media/fat/games/AO486.
Think I read somewhere that I should put the 300 pack in under the games/AO486 directory but I might be wrong.

Perhaps the imgset command defaults to /media/fat/ao486.

You could also try and see if that solves your issue too.
Mr. Encyclopedia

nizce wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:05 pm I just got it working when I tried placing the cd folder in /media/fat/ao486 and not /media/fat/games/AO486.
Think I read somewhere that I should put the 300 pack in under the games/AO486 directory but I might be wrong.

Yes! This worked for me too. I've talked with some folks on the discord and it seems like our MiSTers use /media/fat/{whatever core}/ as the working folder for roms and images instead of /media/fat/games/{whatever core}/. There must be a setting to define this and for whatever reason our MiSTers are looking in the root directory instead of /games like most other people.

Also, flynn, I also resolved the problem I was having with the updater by changing the ini file from "/media/sdcard" back to "/media/fat". I had changed it anticipating it would be required, but this ended up breaking the updater.
nizce

Unread post by nizce »

Mr. Encyclopedia wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:17 pm
nizce wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:05 pm I just got it working when I tried placing the cd folder in /media/fat/ao486 and not /media/fat/games/AO486.

Yes! This worked for me too. I've talked with some folks on the discord and it seems like our MiSTers use /media/fat/{whatever core}/ as the working folder for roms and images instead of /media/fat/games/{whatever core}/. There must be a setting to define this and for whatever reason our MiSTers are looking in the root directory instead of /games like most other people.

Also, flynn, I also resolved the problem I was having with the updater by changing the ini file from "/media/sdcard" back to "/media/fat". I had changed it anticipating it would be required, but this ended up breaking the updater.
After some more digging into why, it seems like if you have a ao486 folder on your SD-card under /media/fat it'll use that by default. And if it doesn't exist it'll look under games/ and see if it finds it there.
So I simply removed it(/media/fat/ao486) and then it automatically used the AO486 directory placed under games/

:)
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

yeah, you can't have any other ao486 folder anywhere or it breaks a lot of things.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I am working on setting up my own VHD's based on the "ExoDOSConverter for MiSTer AO486 (PC DOS) Setup from Scratch and first look!!!" video. I watched the previous video that uses Metropolis to find the games you want. Is there a way to use Metropolis to filter the games you want to a folder, and then use the ExoDOSConverter on that instead of the entire ExoDos collection?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

yeah I think you could use Metropolis to get the games list and export that to a text list and then import that list into the Exodos converter. The names would have to be exact. it might be easier to grab the name from this excel document and just make your own list that you import into the selections screen on exodosconverter:

https://github.com/Voljega/ExoDOSConver ... oDOSv5.csv
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

flynnsbit wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:05 pm yeah I think you could use Metropolis to get the games list and export that to a text list and then import that list into the Exodos converter. The names would have to be exact. it might be easier to grab the name from this excel document and just make your own list that you import into the selections screen on exodosconverter:

Thanks! I am pretty good at DOS, but I am a little lost. I have a working Top 300 DOS setup. In the tutorial, it says you need to run the tdlindexer python script, but I am not sure if I need to. The latest ExoDOSConverter makes a TDL_VHD folder which I assume is all set with nothing needed to do to it. I created a new VHD with Windows and used the guiformat utility to make it FAT32. The issue I have found is that my Total 300 VHD has a D and and E in it, and everything is on the E. My drive only has a D. I assume I need to make multiple partitions to make this work correctly, correct?

I plan to make a bunch of these and I want to do it as painlessly as possible. I am not sure if I should makes drives with D and E on them, or change the Top 300 C: drive so that it can work with games in D:. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
I am making some progress. I edited the TDL.INI on the new games VHD I created and changed it to D:\games for the cache folder. I also made a copy of the Total Dos C: drive into a new VHD and edited the autoexec.bat.

Now I can launch games, but I have new problems:
- Some games work fine, Space Quest III for example. However, if I change Turbo to Slow which this game needs for the intro to play all the way through, the mouse goes crazy. Putting it back to fast works with the mouse.
- Some games have screwed up music, King's Quest VI for example using the CD and MT-32 options. I confirmed it is using the Sound Canvas mode even though I chose MT/32 (it sounds good on my Sound Canvas, but terrible on my MT-32)
- King's Quest V asks what mode you want to start with, but doesn't wait for an answer and launches immediately
- Many programs say "bad command or file name" after you pick which mode you want to launch the game with, and then it launches the game anyway. This may be the reason for the sound card selection problem. Space Quest III is able to change between Sound Blaster and MT-32. I tried Sound Blaster on King's Quest VI and it was mostly silent, but for a moment, it sounded like screwed up chip tunes but not music. Laura Bow 1 didn't have the "bad command or file name" and succesfully plays MT-32 and Sound Blaster.
- King's Quest VI starts the intro, but it says "unable to open movie file" which tells me it doesn't know where to find the CD drive. It is on F:. Maybe I need to edit TDL.ini for that too.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

thorr wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:11 am
flynnsbit wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:05 pm yeah I think you could use Metropolis to get the games list and export that to a text list and then import that list into the Exodos converter. The names would have to be exact. it might be easier to grab the name from this excel document and just make your own list that you import into the selections screen on exodosconverter:

Thanks! I am pretty good at DOS, but I am a little lost. I have a working Top 300 DOS setup. In the tutorial, it says you need to run the tdlindexer python script, but I am not sure if I need to. The latest ExoDOSConverter makes a TDL_VHD folder which I assume is all set with nothing needed to do to it. I created a new VHD with Windows and used the guiformat utility to make it FAT32. The issue I have found is that my Total 300 VHD has a D and and E in it, and everything is on the E. My drive only has a D. I assume I need to make multiple partitions to make this work correctly, correct?

I plan to make a bunch of these and I want to do it as painlessly as possible. I am not sure if I should makes drives with D and E on them, or change the Top 300 C: drive so that it can work with games in D:. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
I am making some progress. I edited the TDL.INI on the new games VHD I created and changed it to D:\games for the cache folder. I also made a copy of the Total Dos C: drive into a new VHD and edited the autoexec.bat.

Now I can launch games, but I have new problems:
- Some games work fine, Space Quest III for example. However, if I change Turbo to Slow which this game needs for the intro to play all the way through, the mouse goes crazy. Putting it back to fast works with the mouse.
- Some games have screwed up music, King's Quest VI for example using the CD and MT-32 options. I confirmed it is using the Sound Canvas mode even though I chose MT/32 (it sounds good on my Sound Canvas, but terrible on my MT-32)
- King's Quest V asks what mode you want to start with, but doesn't wait for an answer and launches immediately
- Many or all programs say "bad command or file name" after you pick which mode you want to launch the game with, and then it launches the game anyway. This may be the reason for the sound card selection problem.
Yes correct on the D and E. If you look at my secondary VHD you will see a stub disk for D which then allows for the assign dos command to take over that and duplicate the CD drive from F to D.

Exodosconverter now does all you need for TDLconverter so you don't need to do that if you are using the converter. Voljega added all that to the converter with the goal of the converter creating everything you need to just transfer that to a VHD (that has both the stub D: drive (10MB or whatever) and E: (everything else).

D: is setup because the CD drive is defaulted to D: in eXoDOS and it prevented a change to every launch file.

There are an amazing amount of changes still needed to eXoDOS's setup to get games working on AO486. This is why I ended up with the github repo for just the Top 300 games, with more that 200 changes after the initial image was created. Some game ini files still reference different directory structures, drive letters, etc. You can look at my repo for the specifc games to see what I had to change to get it working with my setup.

I wouldn't put an amazing amount of effort into TDL and the converter as we have something new coming that is better.