Depricated.

pbsk8

Re: eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support

Unread post by pbsk8 »

is there a way to play pitfall the mayan adventure on a486 core?
Krieger

Unread post by Krieger »

pbsk8 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:50 am is there a way to play pitfall the mayan adventure on a486 core?
I believe that was an early Win95 game, not part of exoDOS, so install Win95 with drivers and install using CD image/folder.
Krieger

Unread post by Krieger »

Added Warlords 2 Deluxe to the pack and ran it using EMM386, ran a few turns without issues.
run install and set sound = Sound Blaster 16/music = Sound Blaster
cmdline: war2 -ns
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

Krieger wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:54 am
pbsk8 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:50 am is there a way to play pitfall the mayan adventure on a486 core?
I believe that was an early Win95 game, not part of exoDOS, so install Win95 with drivers and install using CD image/folder.
I had no idea it was possible to install win95 on mister.

I will try to look for a tutorial for a setup
Haque

Unread post by Haque »

Hello everyone, I just registered to ask my question and wanna start off with a huge thank you for the awesome work everbody put into this collection.

I downloaded the AO486 exoDOS Top 300 collection. The files are located in /media/usb0 (a 500gb thumbdrive). I downloaded the update script, adjusted and ran it, and I am now on version 0.7.2.

Most games do run fine, but I found that many of the CD games tell me that "CD is required to play the game" while the image is correctly mounted in F:\.
This occurs on Warcraft 2, The Settlers 2, Theme Hospital and a few others. I checked the war2.ini files, but since I am on version 0.7.2 the update script already fixed the configs. The error still occurs.

I have read through the pages in this thread and partially watched flynnbit's massive video, but could not find any solutions to this problem.

I would appreciate any input. Thank you in advance!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

7.4 is out, can you update and try one more time. I can't remember when I fixed those. And also, do other CD games work okay?
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

flynnsbit wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:05 pm 7.4 is out, can you update and try one more time. I can't remember when I fixed those. And also, do other CD games work okay?
That's cool! I have missed this update. Thanks flynnsbit! 8-)
Haque

Unread post by Haque »

flynnsbit wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:05 pm 7.4 is out, can you update and try one more time. I can't remember when I fixed those. And also, do other CD games work okay?
Thank you for your reply!
I ran the update script and the problem persisted. I also realized, that no other CD games launched. They all gave me the error "Disc required to play the game", which is really strange. I ran descent and Albion just yesterday.

In case I corrupted any files on my thumb drive, I will set it up freshly and post if I continue to have trouble if that's okay.

//Edit:
I am glad to report, that reformatting my drive, then copying the files over again and running the update script resolved the issue. I am having a blast with the collection! Thank you so much for the time and effort put into this!
MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

Ooo this is an awesome starting point, i got dos 6.22 installed and made some shareware images of duke 3d / doom to install but couldnt get NHL95 to work.

Maybe Ill give this a shot as it has more boot options than I have and probably lots of little tweaks :)

Is it easy to add games to the top 300 list? I have the ExoDOS sets and I have the cd image of NHL95 on the CD card. Hopefully I can get things to work!

Thanks!
Aeana

Unread post by Aeana »

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or I misunderstood, but trying out both Ultima 4 and 5 and picking the upgraded mode option with sound blaster audio still leads to no music in either game. The games originally didn't have any music on PC, but the upgrade patch is supposed to add it.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

@flynnsbit,

I have just run the script to update to 0.7.4. Unfortunately this time I didn't get the usual final message "Successfully updated to..". In fact I have got several checkdir and read only error messages as per the attached log.

When you get a chance, would you please look at it?

Thanks a lot!
Attachments
Log.zip
(19.15 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:34 pm
@flynnsbit,

I have just run the script to update to 0.7.4. Unfortunately this time I didn't get the usual final message "Successfully updated to..". In fact I have got several checkdir and read only error messages as per the attached log.

When you get a chance, would you please look at it?

Thanks a lot!
Where are your VHDs located? On a CIFS share? You can clean up and try again, follow this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx4D0Cq ... e=youtu.be
Alkadian
Top Contributor

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:29 pm
Where are your VHDs located? On a CIFS share? You can clean up and try again, follow this video:

Many thanks for getting back to me.

The VHD's are located on a usb drive.

I have removed the folder dos_games, as per your video, and I have run the script again bu to no avail.
However, I have noticed something wrong with the permissions. I believe it should be rw and not ro. But I am not sure..

Code: Select all

/dev/loop1p2 on /tmp/dos_games/E type vfat (ro,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
Thanks!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:47 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:29 pm

Many thanks for getting back to me.

The VHD's are located on a usb drive.

I have removed the folder dos_games, as per your video, and I have run the script again bu to no avail.
However, I have noticed something wrong with the permissions. I believe it should be rw and not ro. But I am not sure..

/dev/loop1p2 on /tmp/dos_games/E type vfat (ro,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
Thanks!
Run the latest update script, I added a clean up section and also the updates for C will now mount. https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... in/_mister
Alkadian
Top Contributor

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:18 pm
Run the latest update script, I added a clean up section and also the updates for C will now mount. https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... in/_mister
Thanks again. I have run the latest update script but exactly after extracting/inflating the same game relentle I start getting the usual error messages like:

checkdir error:  cannot create /tmp/dos_games/E/games/RELENTLE/lba/ULTRASND
                 Input/output error

error:  cannot delete old /tmp/dos_games/E/games/SCORCHEA/1_Start.bat
        Read-only file system
At some point I thought it was that I had a full SD card but the command df -h confirmed that I still have 55% of free disk space. No idea what it is going on. It is so odd as the script worked perfectly fine in the past and I haven't changed any files/folders permissions since then.

Please advise! Thanks a lot!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

It looks like we are running into this issue for those that are using CIFS shares. If the network blips at all it will switch the /dev/loop device --> VHD
to readonly mode. Also, just to verify, you can still mount the VHD on the mister, and you don't have it "mounted" somewhere else (windows). Do you have the option of copying the VHDs to a local USB stick/SD card/USB SSD/HDD drive and trying the update there? If not, Can you simply mount the VHDs on your windows box and manually extract the contents of the update.zip/c and update.zip/e to their corresponding vhds and test?

I think those that are trying this over the network are running into this edge case:
https://serverfault.com/questions/66056 ... donly-mode
Alkadian
Top Contributor

flynnsbit wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:39 pm It looks like we are running into this issue for those that are using CIFS shares. If the network blips at all it will switch the /dev/loop device --> VHD
to readonly mode. Also, just to verify, you can still mount the VHD on the mister, and you don't have it "mounted" somewhere else (windows). Do you have the option of copying the VHDs to a local USB stick/SD card/USB SSD/HDD drive and trying the update there? If not, Can you simply mount the VHDs on your windows box and manually extract the contents of the update.zip/c and update.zip/e to their corresponding vhds and test?

I think those that are trying this over the network are running into this edge case:
Thanks again for getting back to me. Just to clarify the /games/AO486 folder is already on a USB stick. I will try to update the VHD's manually in the mean time and report back here.

Thanks!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Hmm, very strange. We are looking for some help with the update script and either a better BASH programmer or a conversion to python that might clean up some of these issues. Let me know if the manual update doesn't work.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:48 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:39 pm It looks like we are running into this issue for those that are using CIFS shares. If the network blips at all it will switch the /dev/loop device --> VHD

Thanks again for getting back to me. Just to clarify the /games/AO486 folder is already on a USB stick. I will try to update the VHD's manually in the mean time and report back here.

Thanks!
Okay, new update script that extracts first and then uses Rsync to update both the VHDs. See if that fixes your problem. You need to wget the new update.sh to your mister obviously before running it.
https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... in/_mister
Alkadian
Top Contributor

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:54 am Okay, new update script that extracts first and then uses Rsync to update both the VHDs. See if that fixes your problem. You need to wget the new update.sh to your mister obviously before running it.
Thanks. I have just tried the new script. This is what I get:

Cleaning up any previous failed updates, ignore any errors...

rm: cannot remove '/tmp/update.zip': No such file or directory
umount: /tmp/dos_vhds/E: no mount point specified.
losetup: : No such file or directory
umount: /tmp/dos_vhds/C: no mount point specified.
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/dos_vhds': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/dos_extract': No such file or directory

Hit any key within 5 seconds to continue...
/# 
Thanks!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:25 am
flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:54 am Okay, new update script that extracts first and then uses Rsync to update both the VHDs. See if that fixes your problem. You need to wget the new update.sh to your mister obviously before running it.
Thanks. I have just tried the new script. This is what I get:

Cleaning up any previous failed updates, ignore any errors...

rm: cannot remove '/tmp/update.zip': No such file or directory
umount: /tmp/dos_vhds/E: no mount point specified.
umount: /tmp/dos_vhds/C: no mount point specified.
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/dos_vhds': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/dos_extract': No such file or directory

Hit any key within 5 seconds to continue...
/# 
Thanks!
go ahead and Hit any key within 5 seconds to continue... and try it. I'll change the clean up section at the top where it doesn't do that
Alkadian
Top Contributor

I did it, but nothing happened. I have just got back to the prompt.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:50 pm I did it, but nothing happened. I have just got back to the prompt.
New new version of the update script out there. make sure you wget the latest and then run it. Also, cold boot your mister before you do all of this.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Cool! I will try now! Thanks.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Success!!!
It worked like a charm and so quickly as well! It did everything within a few seconds.Whereas in the past it took way longer.
I have also double checked and both the VHD's got updated correctlty.
Thanks a lot!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Yup, I made a small change that does the unzip first and then copies to the vhds which seems to have speed things up considerably. Glad it worked for you.
Martin8bity

Unread post by Martin8bity »

Update to 0.7.4 finished successfully, but I see hearts instead of exclamation marks and mouse and gemapad are not working. What did I do wrong?
werpu

Unread post by werpu »

Pitfall was a Win95 game (in fact the first win95 game I bought)
I dont think there ever was a dos version.
So to get it up and running you need a working win95 and a copy of the game.
allyourbasekris

Unread post by allyourbasekris »

Well looks like I'm converting ISO to CHDS after work. Great job!
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

werpu wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:02 am
Pitfall was a Win95 game (in fact the first win95 game I bought)
I dont think there ever was a dos version.
So to get it up and running you need a working win95 and a copy of the game.
I will look for a tutorial how to install win 95 on mister