Depricated.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support

Unread post by flynnsbit »

But everything I do gets sourced back to ExoDOSConverter through Voljega, but let's keep the pack specific issues to that github above and I will work through them. This entire pack was created using the Converter and Voljega and I spent weeks working to get it where it is today for the MiSTer option. It still needs more to prevent having to touch any configs or re-do games but I need to get through the update scripts first.

On my github, There is an update zip release out there that fixes about 9 games in the pack, but the actual scripting to extract it over the existing pack isn't done. I am close though.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Sorry @buttersoft, you said not part of my top 300 pack,. The better place would be under the 7000 game github here: https://github.com/flynnsbit/ExoFlynn_scripts/issues
AeroCity

Unread post by AeroCity »

Found a bug - maybe tied to the release or a crack:

Little Big Adventure / Relentless:

Using the motorcycle on the 2nd island results in the motorcycle glitching out and shifting towards the bottom of the screen.

Sadly, this is a gamebreaking bug that is not circumventable. :(
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

AeroCity wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:03 pm Found a bug - maybe tied to the release or a crack:

Little Big Adventure / Relentless:

Using the motorcycle on the 2nd island results in the motorcycle glitching out and shifting towards the bottom of the screen.

Sadly, this is a gamebreaking bug that is not circumventable. :(
Can you share the save game maybe? I can try to see if it helps using the CD version of the game.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

I have the update scripts working for the pack now so I can update it if you find the issue. For those that have the ExoDOS collection it is always good to drop to that and test on a Windows box and see if it does the same thing.
buttersoft

Unread post by buttersoft »

Flynn, the System Shock 1_start.bat first line in your top300 pack looks like this:
imgset ide11 "/cd/SystemSh/system_.cue"
Should it be set to ide10? I did that and it works for me now...

Also, i can't get Warcraft II to run at all, it just crashes after the CD fix you posted. Your video fix for that is down, by the way, but I can go into the war2.ini files easily enough. Do i need to change the start.bat file as well? Or remove the subst D: d or however that goes?

in addition, i can't get that Bioforge fix to work. Every time i open the setup, the sound settings are back to default or whatever, they never seem to save. I can copy the install.opt file into SB16 and SC55, but it's not doing anything noticeably different, just crashing.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

RE SystemSh, yup that is fat fingered and should be IDE-10.

I have fixes in github for Warcraft II and Bioforge in these checkins. : https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... mmits/main

I also have the Mister update script working so that you can just pull down a pack updater and it fixes all games and configuration problems found. Seems to work well. We are getting to a point where it will just be run a script and 5-10 games start working.
buttersoft

One more, not sure if you fixed it because your fixes video has no sound, but... I couldn't get any sound in Wing Commander 2. Game loads fine, but is completely silent for me.

if you go into e:\games\(yourwingcom2dir)\WC2DLX\CD\wing2\ and run winstall.exe you can set up the soundblaster for speech, port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1.

This then shows that speech is enabled on launch for WC2, SO1 and SO2, sound works, and you can hear Thrakath speaking to his grandfather the emperor in the main intro :)

Thanks for the updates - now i have my custom HDD working, i just want a few files, not the mister update script as i tend to customise things heavily - or any just pick and choose.

EDIT: i also had a bit of trouble with those updates. I downloaded the fixes for Bioforge and Warcraft2 directly from your github (https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... 7c59/games) and overwrote my existing folders/files.

But the Bioforge 1_start.bat file doesn't run the game. And the 4_edit.bat doesn't do anything. I simply edited 1_Start to mount the CD image and then change into directory Bioforge and run Bioforge.exe - which worked.

Haven't tested Warcraft 2 yet but i'll report back when i do.

Is there a zip for the update pack that i could have grabbed?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

riblad_om

Unread post by riblad_om »

I've got the initial vhds up and running, but am having a bit of a hard time understanding the update instructions. My AO486 directory looks like

cd\
floppy\
boot0.rom
boot1.rom
IDE 0-0 BOOT-DOS98.vhd
IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games.vhd
msdos.vhd
Win95.vhd

Do I need to create a /shared/ directory? Do I copy update.zip in this directory, or unzip the contents of update.zip into this directory?

Not sure how to add UpdPack.BAT to my E:\games-utiliti\ directory. Is this inside one of the vhds?
buttersoft

Hmm, i still can't get Warcraft 2 running :( was there meant to be a subst command somewhere? Sorry to be a pain. Hopefully I'm not making you run in circles fixing the same stuff over and again :)

Also, may i ask what the new joystick.exe file is for? What does it do? Can i run it to config anything?

I filed an issue on the 7000 games list github. Still working on a few more...

Hi riblad_om,
Your setup files look fine. using it on the mister will create the shared directory for you when it's needed. The E:\games\-utiliti directory is on the main, larger vhd. You can mount that vhd in windows - it will show up as two drives. Just copy files across to the right place.
riblad_om

buttersoft wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:50 am Hi riblad_om,
Your setup files look fine. using it on the mister will create the shared directory for you when it's needed. The E:\games\-utiliti directory is on the main, larger vhd. You can mount that vhd in windows - it will show up as two drives. Just copy files across to the right place.
Thanks! I was tired last night and was missing that mounting the image resulted in two separate drives, so I can see where the -UTILITI folder is now. I'm not sure about the the /shared/ folder, though. I've run some games but I don't have a E:\games\AO486\shared on my usb drive. Should I just make it and unzip the update.zip into there?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

riblad_om wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:21 am I've got the initial vhds up and running, but am having a bit of a hard time understanding the update instructions. My AO486 directory looks like

cd\
floppy\
boot0.rom
boot1.rom
IDE 0-0 BOOT-DOS98.vhd
IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games.vhd
msdos.vhd
Win95.vhd

Do I need to create a /shared/ directory? Do I copy update.zip in this directory, or unzip the contents of update.zip into this directory?

Not sure how to add UpdPack.BAT to my E:\games-utiliti\ directory. Is this inside one of the vhds?
Don't use update pack yet. That's bleeding edge. I should make the github private until that is ready. No support for that yet. I'll fix it today.
For now, you can manually copy update.zip to /games/ao496/shared. Then move updpack.bat anywhere onto the pack, and put jchoice.exe in e:\utils. Then you can just run that updpack.bat script.

I would REALLY advise backing up your vhd first.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

shared is on the Mister side under /games/ao486/shared/ This allows you to drop files there over samba/ftp/etc and then you can get access to that directory from within AO486 core. That uses a product called Misterfs and is already setup in my packs to mount to Z:\

so somewhere on the mister side, drop a file you want access to within the vhd, in games/ao486/shared (has to be 8.3 format) and then simply go to Z: and copy the file where you want to.
riblad_om

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:15 pm shared is on the Mister side under /games/ao486/shared/ This allows you to drop files there over samba/ftp/etc and then you can get access to that directory from within AO486 core. That uses a product called Misterfs and is already setup in my packs to mount to Z:\

so somewhere on the mister side, drop a file you want access to within the vhd, in games/ao486/shared (has to be 8.3 format) and then simply go to Z: and copy the file where you want to.
I can hold off on doing any updating, but there's a couple things about your explanation I don't grasp yet if you don't mind:

1) All my games are on usb. Is the point of the /shared/ folder simply the convenience of being able to ftp into the mister without having to manage the usb directly? What should I do if I'd rather just plug my usb drive into my pc and manage from there? fwiw, my /media/fat/games/AO486 is empty.

2) updpack.bat is easy to find but I don't know where to find jchoice.exe. I did a search of the update.zip and both vhd files.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

riblad_om wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:15 pm 2) updpack.bat is easy to find but I don't know where to find jchoice.exe. I did a search of the update.zip and both vhd files.
This is the most current version. Does not currently work with Gravis mode...
JCHOICE.ZIP
(6.15 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
andyvanhout

Unread post by andyvanhout »

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:15 pm shared is on the Mister side under /games/ao486/shared/ This allows you to drop files there over samba/ftp/etc and then you can get access to that directory from within AO486 core. That uses a product called Misterfs and is already setup in my packs to mount to Z:\
It all makes sense now, here I placed the update.zip in games/ao486. I didn't even notice the /shared directory until walking away for 24 hours....

Just for anyone else who was looking at this: yesterday I added jchoice to E:\utils, since it wasn't in whatever I downloaded originally (I'm fairly certain from archive.org). There were a few other things that I was "missing" that I copied over, but I didn't write down or remember what they were. If I do a line-by-line comparison of my instance off the E:\ drive and the github repo, I also have a bunch of "extra" stuff. I'll clean it up (or start over) at some point. I won't be too fussed if I have to nuke everything and start over, personally.
riblad_om wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:15 pm 1) All my games are on usb. Is the point of the /shared/ folder simply the convenience of being able to ftp into the mister without having to manage the usb directly? What should I do if I'd rather just plug my usb drive into my pc and manage from there? fwiw, my /media/fat/games/AO486 is empty.
Yeah, for folks like me who have a 512gb microSD plugged directly into the DE-10, this is great. I was getting sick of unplugging the SD card, so I try to move things over via FTP.

I was taking my memory card back to my PC, mounting the "games vhd" in Windows Disk Management, and making change in Windows to that now mounted drive. That's probably a heck of a lot easier if you just have to move your USB drive over.
riblad_om

I attempted to do the manual Dune CD fix but it doesn't seem to have worked for me, I think maybe because E:\GAME\DUNE1992\DUNE\DUNECD\DUNE.BAT points to C:\DUNECD\ which doesn't seem to exist.

Also, the audio in Dark Sun II isn't working for me, at least in the intro.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

riblad_om wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:53 pm I attempted to do the manual Dune CD fix but it doesn't seem to have worked for me, I think maybe because E:\GAME\DUNE1992\DUNE\DUNECD\DUNE.BAT points to C:\DUNECD\ which doesn't seem to exist.
Correct, and the CD version of Dune requires EMM386. That's all fixed in the update pack. Here is the commit for Dune if you want to look at the changes and manually fix it. Pack updater will be released this weekend if you want to wait.

https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... 465dd32403
riblad_om

flynnsbit wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:09 pm
riblad_om wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:53 pm I attempted to do the manual Dune CD fix but it doesn't seem to have worked for me, I think maybe because E:\GAME\DUNE1992\DUNE\DUNECD\DUNE.BAT points to C:\DUNECD\ which doesn't seem to exist.
Correct, and the CD version of Dune requires EMM386. That's all fixed in the update pack. Here is the commit for Dune if you want to look at the changes and manually fix it. Pack updater will be released this weekend if you want to wait.

https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... 465dd32403
I tried using the script and it errored out, I'm guessing it doesn't account for having games on usb? The way I (and I think most people) use usb is having the /game/system/ directory folder present on the sd card but empty, then the mister automatically looks for files on the usb under /game/system/. This way you don't have to manually switch, and update scripts work.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

It should. Change the User options in the top of the script to the path you have your usb on. I updated the script again last night so you need to go pull a new one.
riblad_om

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:58 pm It should. Change the User options in the top of the script to the path you have your usb on. I updated the script again last night so you need to go pull a new one.
Not sure where mister thinks my usb drive is but I'll probably figure out eventually. In the meantime since my mister is right next to my Win 10 pc it's pretty trivial to just unzip update.zip and overwrite the contents of the vhd.

Would you happen to know if the audio in Dune CD is adjustable? Currently the music overwhelms the dialogue, but none of the audio mixing sliders do anything.
spicer

Unread post by spicer »

riblad_om wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:02 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:58 pm It should. Change the User options in the top of the script to the path you have your usb on. I updated the script again last night so you need to go pull a new one.
Not sure where mister thinks my usb drive is but I'll probably figure out eventually. In the meantime since my mister is right next to my Win 10 pc it's pretty trivial to just unzip update.zip and overwrite the contents of the vhd.

Would you happen to know if the audio in Dune CD is adjustable? Currently the music overwhelms the dialogue, but none of the audio mixing sliders do anything.
I have it going fine, i modified option 6 in run.bat

:CDGOLD
CONFIG -set "mididevice=default"
d:
cls
DNCDPRG ADL SBP2227 EMS 386 SAF WRIE:\GAMES\dune1992\dune\
goto quit

im sure there are alot of other ways to do it but this works for me :)
on my personal dos drive i actually just have "DNCDPRG ADL SDB2225 WRID:\DUNECD\" but i dont want to mess with what is working in this pack.
DerGali

Unread post by DerGali »

Hi first thanks for your awesome package(with latest update) tried descent 1 today but it crashes with error missing bitmaps.tbl and bitmaps.bin file and a DOS32a warning real mode interrupted has been modified int 24h. Does anyone else had this issue?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

The easiest fix is to copy those files from F: after the descent cd is mounted. you need the .tbl, .bin, and the .pig file. Copy them into e:\games\DESCENT1\Descent\DESCENT
DerGali

Unread post by DerGali »

I just looked a bit into it. It think your Descent.PIG from the github update package is broken. i took the same files and put them into a descent gog installation on my pc and i got the same error.
Will try the GOG Files into the vhd now.
Edit:works fine with gog files in the vhd.
ItsTigerTime

Unread post by ItsTigerTime »

i only got the Top 300 DOS Pack download over the weekend finally got it working today (im still new to the Mister)
just downloaded the Update pack where do i place the update folder
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

The update script goes in the Scripts folder and then you just run it like any other script from the MiSTer menu.
ItsTigerTime

Unread post by ItsTigerTime »

Cool thanks for that look forward to checking out some CLassic DOS Games
SwedishGojira

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

Now that MiSTer support the CHD format for isos, will that be usable for this pack to save some space? CHD can save alot of space and is non destructive.