eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

DerGali

Re: eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support

Unread post by DerGali »

I just looked a bit into it. It think your Descent.PIG from the github update package is broken. i took the same files and put them into a descent gog installation on my pc and i got the same error.
Will try the GOG Files into the vhd now.
Edit:works fine with gog files in the vhd.
ItsTigerTime

Unread post by ItsTigerTime »

i only got the Top 300 DOS Pack download over the weekend finally got it working today (im still new to the Mister)
just downloaded the Update pack where do i place the update folder
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

The update script goes in the Scripts folder and then you just run it like any other script from the MiSTer menu.
ItsTigerTime

Unread post by ItsTigerTime »

Cool thanks for that look forward to checking out some CLassic DOS Games
SwedishGojira

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

Now that MiSTer support the CHD format for isos, will that be usable for this pack to save some space? CHD can save alot of space and is non destructive.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Yes, it's on the list but in reality each CD game will need to be re-tested. I've only converted about 10 games in my own collection to test.

If someone wants to run through that automated conversion that was posted in the forum and test the games, each 1_start.bat will need to be updated to reference the chd. That is easy to do now that their is an update script for the pack on github and each of those files are out there. It's probably a better idea to fork the Top300_updates github and make a CHD version. So the steps for users:
1. run the chd conversion against your cd folder library while leaving the file names exactly the same, except for the extension.
2. update a github fork for CHD version, pull the fork version down locally, find and replace in files with a filter for 1_start.bat and find .iso, .bin, .cue and replace with .chd. Submit a pull request for all those file changes (there should be 140 of them)
3. run the update script for that forked repo from the mister side and it should be good to go.

I am in the middle of trying to fix the remaining games in the pack before adding something new. Fixed 3 more games last night.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Updated second post to cover changes since the initial pack release and how to run the update script to pull the 100+ changes since the first version. Instructions for updating are on the github.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

flynnsbit wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 pm Updated second post to cover changes since the initial pack release and how to run the update script to pull the 100+ changes since the first version. Instructions for updating are on the github.
Excellent, good to know that you have also updated the second post for future reference and revised instructions. I still need to update the pack. Hopefully in the weekend!
KnC

Unread post by KnC »

flynnsbit wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:39 am If someone wants to run through that automated conversion that was posted in the forum and test the games, each 1_start.bat will need to be updated to reference the chd. That is easy to do now that their is an update script for the pack on github and each of those files are out there. It's probably a better idea to fork the Top300_updates github and make a CHD version. So the steps for users:
1. run the chd conversion against your cd folder library while leaving the file names exactly the same, except for the extension.
2. update a github fork for CHD version, pull the fork version down locally, find and replace in files with a filter for 1_start.bat and find .iso, .bin, .cue and replace with .chd. Submit a pull request for all those file changes (there should be 140 of them)
3. run the update script for that forked repo from the mister side and it should be good to go.
Just a little note not all changes are in the 1_start.bat some of the cd images are called from within the run file from the game folder
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Ahh good point. So we would just need to run the replace twice, one for 1_start and one for run.bat. If you do a full find and replace without the filter you are going to run into games that have .BIN as their extension and they are not CDs but game data. For those that want to try and tackle this.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

@flynnsbit,

I have finally manged to update the 300 DOS Pack. That's great, thanks!

I would like to report something that perhaps is meant to work like that. If the base VHD is on a USB drive and you change the line in the script accordingly:

Code: Select all

base_path="/media/usb0
you would need to either delete or rename the folder /media/fat/games/AO486 otherwise the script will fail to find the base VHD.

Thanks!
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

No Betrayal At Krondor ? my bad a win98 game!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:55 pm @flynnsbit,

I would like to report something that perhaps is meant to work like that. If the base VHD is on a USB drive and you change the line in the script accordingly:

base_path="/media/usb0
you would need to either delete or rename the folder /media/fat/games/AO486 otherwise the script will fail to find the base VHD.

Thanks!
Correct. That is how it should work. If you are using a usb drive you should remove all references to the folders with the same name on the SD card (for any core, not just ao486). It can cause issues with misterfs and cd mounting on ao486 specifically. Glad you worked through it and everything is working!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:17 am
Alkadian wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:55 pm @flynnsbit,

base_path="/media/usb0

Thanks!
Correct. That is how it should work. If you are using a usb drive you should remove all references to the folders with the same name on the SD card (for any core, not just ao486). It can cause issues with misterfs and cd mounting on ao486 specifically. Glad you worked through it and everything is working!
Great, many thanks for confirming that!
Just one more question please. Would you please also confirm that when running the script only the base IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games.vhd will be updated? I am asking that as the following files/folders:

IDE 0-0 BOOT-DOS98.vhd
cd folder
floppy folder

were not within the folder /media/usb0/games/AO486 when I have run the script.

Many thanks!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

correct, for now. I am working on a path to update the BOOT.VHD as there are some small config files for a couple of games that need to be there. for now you can just pull down the release manually and add then to C. They are already in the update.zip file.

No updates for cd and floppy needed.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:36 pm correct, for now. I am working on a path to update the BOOT.VHD as there are some small config files for a couple of games that need to be there. for now you can just pull down the release manually and add then to C. They are already in the update.zip file.

No updates for cd and floppy needed.
Great, many thanks for your further explanations. Looking forward to the next update for the BOOT.VHD as well!
spikemorrissey

Unread post by spikemorrissey »

Thank you for this and I have got it working its great HOWEVER :

I have fetched the update script but it doesn't work - this is the error message I receive:
IMG_9579.jpg
IMG_9579.jpg (4.02 MiB) Viewed 8151 times
Please can you advise?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Whoa, something is not right there. You should be getting a shell screen that looks like this:
update.png
update.png (29.24 KiB) Viewed 8113 times
You need to re-download your update file. Don't copy and paste the contents from github, instead, use wget or the zip file linked in the readme, and then extract it to your mister: \\mister\fat\Scripts
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Also if FTP was used to move the script to the mister make sure it is using binary as file transfer not text or auto.
That could mess up the files otherwise.
spikemorrissey

flynnsbit wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:24 pm Whoa, something is not right there. You should be getting a shell screen that looks like this:
update.png

You need to re-download your update file. Don't copy and paste the contents from github, instead, use wget or the zip file linked in the readme, and then extract it to your mister: \\mister\fat\Scripts

I redownloaded the file below following the instructions and I get exactly the same problem sadly

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flynn ... 00_Pack.sh
spikemorrissey

grizzly wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:13 pm Also if FTP was used to move the script to the mister make sure it is using binary as file transfer not text or auto.
That could mess up the files otherwise.

thanks for trying to help. I changed my FTP transfer to binary but still got the same problem sadly
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

spikemorrissey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:27 am
flynnsbit wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:24 pm Whoa, something is not right there. You should be getting a shell screen that looks like this:
update.png

I redownloaded the file below following the instructions and I get exactly the same problem sadly

Are you running get from the mister itself in an SSH session or from your own machine and copying it?
spikemorrissey

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:55 am
update.png

Are you running get from the mister itself in an SSH session or from your own machine and copying it?
I opened up putty on my pc and then connected to my misters ip address ran it from there and then copied it over using binary transfer with WINSCP
I didnt know it was possible to open up an ssh session directly from the mister! - Is that what I need to do? - if so how do I do that please?!
spikemorrissey

spikemorrissey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:18 am

I opened up putty on my pc and then connected to my misters ip address ran it from there. I then connected to the mister clicked on the script and got that error box.
I didnt know it was possible to open up an ssh session directly from the mister! - Is that what I need to do? - if so how do I do that please?!
spikemorrissey

spikemorrissey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:20 am
I opened up putty on my pc and then connected to my misters ip address ran it from there. I then on the mister scrolled down to the script and got that error box.
dwmcqueen

Unread post by dwmcqueen »

This pack is great! Already spent hours playing the games on it.

I did notice a little quirk with Dune 1992. If you select the CD version, you can't save a game. I dug a bit and it looks like the WRI parameter passed to start the program is incorrect (in the run.bat). However, I edited it to be right and it still didn't save so something else is amiss.

In any case - tremendous work!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

I opened up putty on my pc and then connected to my misters ip address ran it from there and then copied it over using binary transfer with WINSCP
All you have to do is to make sure that the script is saved in the correct path /media/fat/Scripts and then run the script itself from the Mister System Settings menu where you can see the Scripts option among the others (i.e. Remap keyboard, Define joystick buttons and Reboot).

By selecting the Scripts menu from there you will see all the scripts available including the one you need to update the AO486 pack. In fact it should be the first of the list.
spikemorrissey

That's what I do and that's the error message I get. I can successfully update all other cores using the main update script so this is very strange.

Thanks for trying to help.

Alkadian wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:07 pm
All you have to do is to make sure that the script is saved in the correct path /media/fat/Scripts and then run the script itself from the Mister System Settings menu where you can see the Scripts option among the others (i.e. Remap keyboard, Define joystick buttons and Reboot).

By selecting the Scripts menu from there you will see all the scripts available including the one you need to update the AO486 pack. In fact it should be the first of the list.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

spikemorrissey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:14 pm That's what I do and that's the error message I get. I can successfully update all other cores using the main update script so this is very strange.

Thanks for trying to help.

Alkadian wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:07 pm

That's very odd indeed. I have tried again from my side and it worked. I can't think of anything else, I am afraid.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

try this.
Putty to your mister and when at the prompt type:
cd /
cd /media/fat/Scripts
then just run the update by typing AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh from right there. (not in the mister menu but over the SSH connection)