eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Nemesis2k wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:57 pm I have been having some random issues with this pack. I cannot save a game in Discworld and it has randomly crashed on me throwing up the "secondary VHD not mounted error". Also when I run Fast DOOM, I can browse the menu but when I start a game it freezes and my core needs to be rebooted. When I try and run Fast DOOM II it just kicks me back to the 300 menu.

Any ideas?
Failing to the dos prompt is something I need to dig into. That secondary error message is a dump message that is basically the last thing listed in the autoexec.bat and it is to catch people that don't mount anything to IDE 0-1 in the core. So in your case it means nothing. if you are sitting on E:\ when that fails and you can DIR and get a directory structure, the VHD is mounted.

For Fast Doom, have you run the update script lately? I had to move some things around to make it work, but it should work with HIRAM. You can also try using EMM. I haven't had time to really sit down and play but I know others have.

For Discworld, It's probably memory related, so mess with the other options on boot and see if it makes a difference (EMM or QEMM) I've played a good 30- hour of discworld 1 just fine, Discword 2 has a terrible audio bug that is for sure a core issue.
Nemesis2k

Unread post by Nemesis2k »

I have only built my MiSTer this weekend and everything is freshly installed and updated with current scripts.

I have tried to play DW for an hour approx with no crash however, I will save the game, type in a filename, then when I go to load there is nothing there.

See video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_iMk4Ve5O4
martini2

Unread post by martini2 »

I assume the 'ao486 top 300 pack' from archive.org is the same as the 'eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack'. I have installed the former but can not get the update script to work. The vhds ('IDE 0-0 BOOT-DOS98.vhd' 'IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games.vhd') are in /media/fat/games/AO486/vhd and this is the path i have set in the "AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.ini" file but when i run "AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh" it shows this error

Code: Select all

This script updates the (flynnsbit AO486 - Top 300 DOS Games pack) VHD to fix games and add features that were not 
included in the original version.  This script directly mounts and modifies the VHD in one step. If the script fails
to find your VHD you will need to edit the script and change the User options at the top to fit your setup and re-run.
Please backup any changes you have made to the pack before running this update.

Script version v.0.9
Press any key to continue . . .
Downloading and executing
AO486_Update_Top300_updater.sh

Couldn't find disk image in "/media/fat/games/AO486/vhd/games/AO486".
The script appends /games/AO486 to the path and this obviously fails. I can not find this 'User options' that have to be changed in the script. Can anyone give me a hint how to solve this?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

martini2 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:12 pm I assume the 'ao486 top 300 pack' from archive.org is the same as the 'eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack'. I have installed the former but can not get the update script to work. The vhds ('IDE 0-0 BOOT-DOS98.vhd' 'IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games.vhd') are in /media/fat/games/AO486/vhd and this is the path i have set in the "AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.ini" file but when i run "AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh" it shows this error

Code: Select all

This script updates the (flynnsbit AO486 - Top 300 DOS Games pack) VHD to fix games and add features that were not 
included in the original version.  This script directly mounts and modifies the VHD in one step. If the script fails
to find your VHD you will need to edit the script and change the User options at the top to fit your setup and re-run.
Please backup any changes you have made to the pack before running this update.

Script version v.0.9
Press any key to continue . . .
Downloading and executing
AO486_Update_Top300_updater.sh

Couldn't find disk image in "/media/fat/games/AO486/vhd/games/AO486".
The script appends /games/AO486 to the path and this obviously fails. I can not find this 'User options' that have to be changed in the script. Can anyone give me a hint how to solve this?
simply move your vhds to AO486 instead of a vhd directory...
twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

Anyone have any recommend settings for Duke Nukem 3D? I've been having some terrible frame rates and then it usually crashes.
WILL1384

Unread post by WILL1384 »

twonunpackmule wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:36 pm Anyone have any recommend settings for Duke Nukem 3D? I've been having some terrible frame rates and then it usually crashes.
Much like the game "Quake", "Duke Nukem 3D", needs a faster CPU/FPU, and any game that runs slow in the "eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack" also needs a faster CPU/FPU, games like that will not be playable until the ao486 core improves.
twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

WILL1384 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:10 pm
twonunpackmule wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:36 pm Anyone have any recommend settings for Duke Nukem 3D? I've been having some terrible frame rates and then it usually crashes.
Much like the game "Quake", "Duke Nukem 3D", needs a faster CPU/FPU, and any game that runs slow in the "eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack" also needs a faster CPU/FPU, games like that will not be playable until the ao486 core improves.
I kinda figured, but I saw on some Excel Spreadsheet it was supported and confused me. I'm not shocked it need beefier hardware. I was actually surprised it was considered supported.
WILL1384

Unread post by WILL1384 »

twonunpackmule wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:19 pm
I kinda figured, but I saw on some Excel Spreadsheet it was supported and confused me. I'm not shocked it need beefier hardware. I was actually surprised it was considered supported.
I played Quake and Duke Nukem 3D when they first came out back in the later part of the 1990s, I had a 486DX66 at the time and Duke Nukem 3D ran on it, and was playable, but I seem to remember some slowdowns here an there, but when Quake came out, I had to upgrade my CPU and I had to get a 3D accelerator, I ended up with a Diamond Monster 3D card, it was a 3DFX video card, and a Intel Pentium MMX 233 CPU just to play Quake.
Nemesis2k

Unread post by Nemesis2k »

I tried playing discworld on the 300 pack without using update script and it saves fine. When i use the update script it breaks the ability to save the game.
metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

I was playing a few games yesterday that had problems.

Phantasmagoria crashes if you choose anything other than soundblaster so MT32 doesnt work.

Police Quest 1 crashed about 10 minutes into the game just after going into the briefing room.
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Hi ! That's an impressive piece of work and definitely ultra useful for people who weren't really into DOS back in the days (skipped from the Amiga to Windows 95 directly).

Could someone get Fast Doom (1&2) to work with sound ? I tried all memory profiles, no luck - whether sc or sb, which work with the regular doom version.
monsterchief

Unread post by monsterchief »

[/quote]
simply move your vhds to AO486 instead of a vhd directory...
[/quote]

Hey flynnsbit, I created an account specifically to post here and thank you for the work that has gone into this. Like you, I grew up with these games in the 80s and 90s and to have a somewhat accessible way to play some of them without having to fully re-educate myself on arcane DOS configs is fantastic! Looking forward to the upcoming 500 pack. Will it superscede this one? Would there be an easy way to extract save files to a PC in the event we have to transfer them to the new pack? (without having to copy the entire vhds over)

I think a good criteria for choosing which games to include would be to take into account the performance level of the ao486 core. For example, games like Bioforge technically work but the slowdown renders the experience rather suboptimal. I'd rather focus on games that run flawlessly on the hardware, like talkie adventure games; rather than having to endlessly tweak memory managers and config files to get games like Duke3D barely running.

Any idea if it's possible that we could get joystick with rudder support for games like Xwing and TieFighter? I read that the 7 wire restriction makes that difficult.

Also, I've been trying desperately to get the ultimate talkie editions of Monkey Island 1 and 2 running but they keep crashing no matter what options i tinker with. I've tried disabling L1, switching memory managers and even changing the mouse driver to Microsoft mouse 8.2 (someone on vogons reported that it eliminated crashes due to an issue with cutemouse). I know the hardware can run these games no problem so has anyone figured out the configuration required to get these 2 games running without crashes? Afaik only the ultimate talkie with MT32 crashes while the other versions are playable to the end. Monkey island perfection seems so tantalizingly close.
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Duke Nukem 3D

This guy got it to work without crashing. The question is, how?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gLH_LfStsA&t=4593s

Skip to 1:04:25
Dreams don't die!
lomdar67

Unread post by lomdar67 »

How would I change the keyboard layout to "QWERTZ"? Is this a Mister setting or do I have to change a DOS config file?

Best regards,
Michael
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Captain FPGA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:04 am
Duke Nukem 3D

From the top of my head, I used qemm to get it to work without crashing.
Captain FPGA

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:24 am

Duke Nukem 3D

When you said from the top of your config, did you mean the start screen before the ao486 logo hits? Because if so I tried activating Qemm before starting the core, it made the crashes worse.

I just can't catch a break with certain games in this core.
Dreams don't die!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Captain FPGA wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:48 pm

Duke Nukem 3D

When you said from the top of your config, did you mean the start screen before the ao486 logo hits? Because if so I tried activating Qemm before starting the core, it made the crashes worse.

Yes, at the first menu where you have to choose the memory manager. Maybe something changed, I haven't tried it in a while.
Captain FPGA

LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:54 am

Yes, at the first menu where you have to choose the memory manager. Maybe something changed, I haven't tried it in a while.
Do me a favor, try yours again and get back to me.
Dreams don't die!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Captain FPGA wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:18 am

What is it doing exactly? DOS32a bombing? Dropping back to TDL menu? Error message or duration you played so I can try and repo.
Captain FPGA

flynnsbit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:44 pm
What is it doing exactly? DOS32a bombing? Dropping back to TDL menu? Error message or duration you played so I can try and repo.
It keeps dropping back to the blue menu.
Dreams don't die!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:07 am
When it does that hit Alt-F5 on the blue menu and it will show the last error screen. Tell me what that is.
Captain FPGA

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:42 pm

When it does that hit Alt-F5 on the blue menu and it will show the last error screen. Tell me what that is.
I did what you asked, it hit me with a killscreen.
Attachments
TV.jpg
TV.jpg (128.64 KiB) Viewed 8908 times
Dreams don't die!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:30 pm
Oh Wow, that is a new one. Let me play around and see if I can get it to do that.
Captain FPGA

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:14 pm
Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Oh Wow, that is a new one. Let me play around and see if I can get it to do that.
Yes please! Let me know what you find.
Dreams don't die!
Spark_Tek

Unread post by Spark_Tek »

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:51 pm Looks like there is something up with the auto detection script that is trying to decide if you have CHD or IMG. You can just manually roll back to one of the other releases and extract update.zip/c update.zip/E to the VHDs by mounting them in Windows. I'll check it see if I have the same issue.

https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... ag/v.0.7.4
I've just tried to update and encountered the same issue you're replying to here.

No CD games were able to find their CD images to mount after the update. I'd get a flaming screen that says "ERROR No Files found -> D:\*.* ADD /cd/gk1/gabriel.cue to /games/ao486/cd/" but the image file seems to already be there.

Rolling back to 0.7.4 seems to have fixed the issue.

Did I update incorrectly? I just did the wgets and ran the script.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Did you update to the very latest MiSTer build from yesterday? There was a fix pushed for this to main.
metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:08 pm Did you update to the very latest MiSTer build from yesterday? There was a fix pushed for this to main.
i did yeah
Spark_Tek

Unread post by Spark_Tek »

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:08 pm Did you update to the very latest MiSTer build from yesterday? There was a fix pushed for this to main.
I have applied it and updated the pack now and things are working. Reading the changelog looks like I got caught up in imgset's hiccup.

Thank you!
RalphJB

Unread post by RalphJB »

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with using my mouse in certain games. Whenever I start Wing Commander and start the first mission, my mouse goes all wonky and erratic. Starts rapidly moving and firing everywhere without any input from me at all. Has anyone else experienced this?
RalphJB

Unread post by RalphJB »

Is anyone else having an issue with Wing Commander 2 having no sound?