eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support

Unread post by flynnsbit »

chanunnaki wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:58 am I feel like I'm going a little crazy.

I've downloaded the eXoflynn pack from archive.org, and everything is works.

Now I'm trying to update with the script [v.0.9] but I keep getting told that the script "couldn't find disk image".

That's fine, I'm running the VHD from an external USB SSD formatted as an ext4 drive.

Here's the problem: When you start the script, it explicitly tells you to "edit the script and change the User options at the top to fit your setup and re-run."

BUT: there is no option at the beginning of the script!

Am I missing something totally obvious?

This is all that is at the top of the script...

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.

# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.

# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

# Copyright 2019-2020 Alessandro "Locutus73" Miele

# You can download the latest version of this script from:
# https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater_script_MiSTer

ver="v.0.9"

# ========= OPTIONS ==================
URL="https://github.com"
SCRIPT_URL="${URL}/flynnsbit/Top300_updates/blob/main/_mister/update/AO486_Update_Top300_updater.sh"
CURL_RETRY="--connect-timeout 15 --max-time 120 --retry 3 --retry-delay 5 --silent --show-error"

# ========= ADVANCED OPTIONS =========
# ALLOW_INSECURE_SSL="true" will check if SSL certificate verification (see https://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html )
# is working (CA certificates installed) and when it's working it will use this feature for safe curl HTTPS downloads,
# otherwise it will use --insecure option for disabling SSL certificate verification.
# If CA certificates aren't installed it's advised to install them (i.e. using security_fixes.sh).
# ALLOW_INSECURE_SSL="false" will never use --insecure option and if CA certificates aren't installed
# any download will fail.
ALLOW_INSECURE_SSL="true"

# ========= CODE STARTS HERE =========
You need the ini file that is out there now, then just change the base path in the ini and run the script. it will download the latest updater and run it.
Attachments
files.PNG
files.PNG (21.17 KiB) Viewed 8677 times
chanunnaki

Unread post by chanunnaki »

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:03 am
chanunnaki wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:58 am I feel like I'm going a little crazy.

I've downloaded the eXoflynn pack from archive.org, and everything is works.

Now I'm trying to update with the script [v.0.9] but I keep getting told that the script "couldn't find disk image".

That's fine, I'm running the VHD from an external USB SSD formatted as an ext4 drive.

Here's the problem: When you start the script, it explicitly tells you to "edit the script and change the User options at the top to fit your setup and re-run."

BUT: there is no option at the beginning of the script!

Am I missing something totally obvious?

This is all that is at the top of the script...

#!/bin/bash
# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.

# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.

# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

# Copyright 2019-2020 Alessandro "Locutus73" Miele

# You can download the latest version of this script from:
# https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater_script_MiSTer

ver="v.0.9"

# ========= OPTIONS ==================
URL="https://github.com"
SCRIPT_URL="${URL}/flynnsbit/Top300_updates/blob/main/_mister/update/AO486_Update_Top300_updater.sh"
CURL_RETRY="--connect-timeout 15 --max-time 120 --retry 3 --retry-delay 5 --silent --show-error"

# ========= ADVANCED OPTIONS =========
# ALLOW_INSECURE_SSL="true" will check if SSL certificate verification (see https://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html )
# is working (CA certificates installed) and when it's working it will use this feature for safe curl HTTPS downloads,
# otherwise it will use --insecure option for disabling SSL certificate verification.
# If CA certificates aren't installed it's advised to install them (i.e. using security_fixes.sh).
# ALLOW_INSECURE_SSL="false" will never use --insecure option and if CA certificates aren't installed
# any download will fail.
ALLOW_INSECURE_SSL="true"

# ========= CODE STARTS HERE =========
You need the ini file that is out there now, then just change the base path in the ini and run the script. it will download the latest updater and run it.
Thanks, where do I get the ini?
chanunnaki

ok, I did it. Wow...

Incredible work dude!

I've successfully updated.

Thanks

Just in case anyone else runs into this issue, just make a file called "AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.ini" in the same folder as the .sh script with a single line in it:

BASE_PATH=/media/fat
of course, you wanna change the path to suit your setup. mine was /media/usb0
chanunnaki

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:28 pm Looks like Warcraft II doesn't like my D: CD drive hack. Just change the drive letter in the configs to F:\ and it will work. Here is a video on the process and changes you need to make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsm_Z25 ... e=youtu.be
Don't just change the war2.ini in the base directory or the run.bat will just overwrite it with the ones in either SB16 or SC55. Fix those and then run.bat will move it and fix the game for you.
I followed what was in your video to get WC2 working, but when I went into the files, they were already on drive f! So I changed them back to drive d and rebooted the game. Still no luck.

Finally, I went back in to those files and once again changed them to drive f and the game now runs and can be played.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

just wanted to say to flynn and everyone who's worked on the top 300.. thank you.. really is incredible work, i've been sat on the files waiting for a bigger sdcard to arrive.. yesterday I did a clean install of everything, and then updated the top 300.. no problems or issues, worked first time and i'm very impressed.. i can see literally months of work has gone into this collection.. amazing effort.. many many thanks.
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

chanunnaki wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:15 am ok, I did it. Wow...

Incredible work dude!

Thanks

Just in case anyone else runs into this issue, just make a file called "AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.ini" in the same folder as the .sh script with a single line in it:

BASE_PATH=/media/fat
Didn't work for me. I still get the "cannot find disk image in /media/fat/games/AO486" - even though it's there, and I can play games from it.
chanunnaki

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:34 pm

Incredible work dude!

Thanks

BASE_PATH=/media/fat
Didn't work for me. I still get the "cannot find disk image in /media/fat/games/AO486" - even though it's there, and I can play games from it.
Hmm, odd. Worked for me without a hitch. How did you create the .ini? Seems like the script is having an issue reading the .ini
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:34 pm

Incredible work dude!

Thanks

BASE_PATH=/media/fat
Is your disk NTFS or exFAT? Also do you have an ao486 folder somewhere else as well, like the root of your mister?
RalphJB

Unread post by RalphJB »

Hi all,

I downloaded all parts of the pack but when I attempt to unzip only the first part unzips and the others do not. I have them all in the same folder. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I downloaded parts 001-017. Please advise.
spicer

Unread post by spicer »

RalphJB wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:43 am Hi all,

I downloaded all parts of the pack but when I attempt to unzip only the first part unzips and the others do not. I have them all in the same folder. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I downloaded parts 001-017. Please advise.
are u using 7zip?
you also need to check the hash if you have a problem.
i cant help beyond that
MiSTer_Kirk

Is your disk NTFS or exFAT? Also do you have an ao486 folder somewhere else as well, like the root of your mister?
SDCard is NTFS. No other ao486 folder anywhere else. Even tried to see if it was case-sensitive, but no change.
The games in the pack run great, and work perfect in ao486. I can see the files, the script is looking for, by logging into the Mister from my PC.
Weird. This only started from the moment the script needed an ini file, before that the updater worked perfect.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:17 pm
SDCard is NTFS. No other ao486 folder anywhere else. Even tried to see if it was case-sensitive, but no change.
The games in the pack run great, and work perfect in ao486. I can see the files, the script is looking for, by logging into the Mister from my PC.
Weird. This only started from the moment the script needed an ini file, before that the updater worked perfect.
You can skip the double script that is there and download the one in the update folder. If you do that and I change the update script again then you will have to update it manually. Grab the one here, change the base path, and test: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flynn ... updater.sh
chanunnaki

I had to combine all the parts into one file using 'cat' before unzipping. There are many ways of joining them across different OSes. I'm not sure they can be unzipped when still in segments like that.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

chanunnaki wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:33 pm

I had to combine all the parts into one file using 'cat' before unzipping. There are many ways of joining them across different OSes. I'm not sure they can be unzipped when still in segments like that.
7-zip will just do it if you start with the first file and they are exactly the same as they were when they were uploaded. start with the first one and start unzipping and it will do the rest. It knows if there are .001, 002. etc.
MiSTer_Kirk

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:20 pm You can skip the double script that is there and download the one in the update folder. If you do that and I change the update script again then you will have to update it manually. Grab the one here, change the base path, and test: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flynn ... updater.sh
Thanks, will do a test a bit later and report back. Many thanks.
Nope, didn't work. Got a bit further, but now get the following.
Attachments
IMG_20210304_173109.png
IMG_20210304_173109.png (254.2 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:16 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:20 pm You can skip the double script that is there and download the one in the update folder. If you do that and I change the update script again then you will have to update it manually. Grab the one here, change the base path, and test: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flynn ... updater.sh
Thanks, will do a test a bit later and report back. Many thanks.
Nope, didn't work. Got a bit further, but now get the following.

Hard reboot and/or go clear your /dev/loops. SSH to your mister.
Run

losetup -a
anything with /dev/loop1XXX remove by typing

losetup -d /dev/NAME
reboot
run the script again
P207

Unread post by P207 »

There's a file called top-300-final_files.xml that contains cheksums (md5, crc32, sha1...) for all the files in the pack. Check that your files have the same cheksum. I think some files from the torrent are mismatched. I had to download almost all zip files again, one by one.

Hope it helps :)
MiSTer_Kirk

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:16 pm Hard reboot and/or go clear your /dev/loops. SSH to your mister.
Run

losetup -a
anything with /dev/loop1XXX remove by typing

losetup -d /dev/NAME
reboot
run the script again
Thanks again. I removed anything with loop1xxx, there were 8 entries. Still get exactly the same error in the screenshot.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

I am out of ideas, maybe you have corrupted your IDE 0-1 Top 300 VHD somehow. You could try to mount it manually and fsck the disk to fix any errors but this is getting beyond my ability to troubleshoot. You can just pull the update.zip release file, mount that VHD on your windows machine as a drive, take the contents of the E folder in the update and copy it over the top of the files on E. That is exactly what the script is doing for the C and E drives. Here is the update file.https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... update.zip
MiSTer_Kirk

Thanks for all your help, Flyn. I may just do that, and pull the update manually.
Don't suppose there is a full upto date vhd to download ? Or is it a bit too big ? I was thinking of starting again from scratch with the ao486 core.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I ran the updater script yesterday and it was doing its thing, but the Duke Nukem 3D resolution fix from a couple of days ago wasn't applied. Am I doing something wrong or is this not part of the official update yet?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

They are checked in but I still didn't do a release of all the changes yes so there isn't a zip. I had a few more things I wanted to finish for the next build. You can go grab those files in the commit and just drop them where they go on E: and it will fix it for now.
FredFromBerks

Unread post by FredFromBerks »

Hello, and awesome work, many thanks. Almost everything running perfect - so good.

Maybe it is me, but the Loom CD version does not have any sound (Loom floppy does have sound) - am I doing something wrong, I tried with all memory options... ?

Thanks!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

FredFromBerks wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:55 pm Hello, and awesome work, many thanks. Almost everything running perfect - so good.

Maybe it is me, but the Loom CD version does not have any sound (Loom floppy does have sound) - am I doing something wrong, I tried with all memory options... ?

Thanks!
Loom CD has a Redbook audio track which is not implemented in the ao486 core. I left it all there for when it gets added.
FILE "loom.bin" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00
INDEX 01 04:57:60
RalphJB

Unread post by RalphJB »

Problem solved. Thanks, y'all.
Beaps

Unread post by Beaps »

I know its a bit much, but do you think you can add Xenon 1 & 2 to the next build?
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

Question by a stupid man: this setup work on a real CRT 31khz monitor with the HDMI->VGA Directvideo trick?
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Yes it should video output options is in the AO486 and misters main cores and have nothing do with roms/harddrives/etc.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

grizzly wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:57 pm Yes it should video output options is in the AO486 and misters main cores and have nothing do with roms/harddrives/etc.
Thank you, I'll try.

I was recently burned by the purchase of a Windows 10 mini pc because the Intel HD integrated gpu scale every resolution to the monitor's: great for modern fixed resolution displays, but awful for CRT monitors.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

As far as I've experimented, it looks like direct video is stuck on something a little higher than 640x480 with the scandoubler turned on. I don't believe this core has "genuine" analog output timings at all, in the sense that it does not reflect the emulated hardware. You're better off using the scaler to pick a useful resolution, like 1440x400 scales cleanly for 720x400 DOS text and 320x200 VGA games. Of course those settings are bad if you want to use windows and such. But yeah this kind of gets back to your Intel HD comment, this core likewise does not seem to allow programs to change the actual output resolution (although it can change refresh with vsync_adjust=1 or 2)