eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

grizzly

Re: eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support

Unread post by grizzly »

A bit offtopic now but hope Flynn is ok with it :|

For those that do not know (i sure didn´t until about 3 months ago :evil: ) there exits "sourceports" for Duke Nukem/doom/hexxen/heretic/Wolfenstein/and many more.
For example eDuke32 for Duek Nukem which works extremely well on windows 10 and give options for higer resolution/better graphic.
There also exits many usermade maps for many of the "sourceports" games some work fine on the original port many do need a "sourceport" for graphic/etc to be able to run though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_port
https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/inde ... urce_Ports
https://dukenukem.fandom.com/wiki/EDuke32
https://dukenukem.fandom.com/wiki/User_map

I have tried many of them and prefer to play with the "sourceport", sure it will not be on the specific "MiSTer setup" it will be played on for those that have one setup.
wackygamer

Unread post by wackygamer »

grizzly wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:16 pm A bit offtopic now but hope Flynn is ok with it :|

For those that do not know (i sure didn´t until about 3 months ago :evil: ) there exits "sourceports" for Duke Nukem/doom/hexxen/heretic/Wolfenstein/and many more.
For example eDuke32 for Duek Nukem which works extremely well on windows 10 and give options for higer resolution/better graphic.
There also exits many usermade maps for many of the "sourceports" games some work fine on the original port many do need a "sourceport" for graphic/etc to be able to run though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_port
https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/inde ... urce_Ports
https://dukenukem.fandom.com/wiki/EDuke32
https://dukenukem.fandom.com/wiki/User_map

I have tried many of them and prefer to play with the "sourceport", sure it will not be on the specific "MiSTer setup" it will be played on for those that have one setup.
Ive been aware of the ports, but Im one that prefers playing on original hardware. (I own and use old p2's and celeron laptops for such a task) Not sure if I was just tired or what but I was mistaken about the performance gain in duke3d.. theres a way to switch modes in duke3d, and I thought since theres a tseng driver for windows that it would work.. but ended up being a garbled mess. I think its safe to say that Duke3d/Quake and earlier 3d games were developed with the Pentium in mind. Though its able to start and run on a 486 its not ideal.
Voljega

Unread post by Voljega »

HIjacking a little bit Flynnsbit's thread to announce release of 0.9 version of ExoDOSConverter

https://github.com/Voljega/ExoDOSConver ... g/0.9-beta

Changelog:
Add full support for eXoWin3x for most generation types (but not MiSTeR or maybe it needs to be tested, most likely doesn't work)
Add support for eXoDOS updates (done through Launchbox or the update.bat script)
Automatic detection of which collection is used
Better fixed game shortnames for MiSTeR using names from eXoDOS
Full rework of the image cache systems to be more stable, more quick, and system agnostic
Lots of fixes

I would be gratefull and curious if anyone could test some Windows 3.1 games on MiSTeR and tell me if it works
(on github's issues please thaaanks)
matthewpont

Unread post by matthewpont »

I tried to play Dark Forces yesterday, but it failed (can't remember the error though).

Ever since then, the Top 300 menu no longer loads up, as I get "Secondary VHD not mounted". It is definitely mounted! Maybe it got corrupted?
chocomochino

Unread post by chocomochino »

matthewpont wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:39 pm I tried to play Dark Forces yesterday, but it failed (can't remember the error though).

Ever since then, the Top 300 menu no longer loads up, as I get "Secondary VHD not mounted". It is definitely mounted! Maybe it got corrupted?
I was able to make it load just today :

Launch in the last option de DOS image; browse to the dark forces directory, and launch setimuse.exe in the directory, configure the sound;
then launch the game got it working like that!
matthewpont

I can't even get the menu to appear anymore though...

I'm currently trying a new usb HD to see if that is the issue
chocomochino

I have to mount them twice, in the entries, Is weird
chocomochino

Voljega wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:45 am HIjacking a little bit Flynnsbit's thread to announce release of 0.9 version of ExoDOSConverter

https://github.com/Voljega/ExoDOSConver ... g/0.9-beta

Changelog:
Add full support for eXoWin3x for most generation types (but not MiSTeR or maybe it needs to be tested, most likely doesn't work)
Add support for eXoDOS updates (done through Launchbox or the update.bat script)
Automatic detection of which collection is used
Better fixed game shortnames for MiSTeR using names from eXoDOS
Full rework of the image cache systems to be more stable, more quick, and system agnostic
Lots of fixes

I would be gratefull and curious if anyone could test some Windows 3.1 games on MiSTeR and tell me if it works
(on github's issues please thaaanks)
I tried running this version of the tool, some games like india jones and hugo showed error with extracted files, not compatible
matthewpont

matthewpont wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:39 pm I tried to play Dark Forces yesterday, but it failed (can't remember the error though).

I fixed my issue. I think it was because I used an older version of the update script which bust my install. I created a fresh install of Top 300, and then updated using the latest script. All good now.
mapti89

Unread post by mapti89 »

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:48 pm Known issues:
Prince of Persia crashes after level one. Seems to be a bug with the crack used in the game.
I have the same issue with my CD copy of PoP ( without crack ) it doesn't happen when using internal pc speaker mode
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

mapti89 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:36 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:48 pm Known issues:
Prince of Persia crashes after level one. Seems to be a bug with the crack used in the game.
I have the same issue with my CD copy of PoP ( without crack ) it doesn't happen when using internal pc speaker mode
Yeah there is a github issue that details the options and workaround now. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/ao486_MiSTer/issues/34
AnthonyQ

Unread post by AnthonyQ »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Mister and I am having problems with updating the top 300

ao486 runs fine and I can get into the main menu
The files are located on usb0

I have read all 10 pages, but I still cannot get the update to run, it keeps telling me that it cannot find the files and it keeps looking at the SD card.

I have successfully run the script below and it finished telling me that it is now at 0.75

I then try to run the update script for the top300 pack and it still keeps wanting to look only at the sd card.

Would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:12 pm
MrX_Cuci wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:40 am Hmmm....scripts seems to look at media/fat/games, but I have them on media/usb0/games i can't seem to find any mnetion of the games directory in the 0.76 update script. Can anyone tell me where to put the path in the SH file?
For now, pull this script down and edit the top for /usb0. I'll fix it to where it finds it in the next revision:
https://git.io/JtMwe

Code: Select all

# Base directory for all script’s tasks, "/media/fat" for SD root, "/media/usb0" for USB drive root.
BASE_PATH="/media/usb0"

then run it.
ryanvb

Unread post by ryanvb »

This pack is allowing me to relive some fond childhood memories. Thank you so much flynnsbit!

I have one question. Is there a tutorial somewhere for adding our own games into the mix, but without breaking compatibility with future updates?

Edit: Spoke too soon. Just discovered the "manually added games" tutorial here.
Voljega

Unread post by Voljega »

chocomochino wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:45 pm I tried running this version of the tool, some games like india jones and hugo showed error with extracted files, not compatible
Hi, yes there were some bugs, I fixed them since but haven't released a new version yet, I want to include some other things before
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

AnthonyQ wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:52 pm Hi everyone,

I'm new to Mister and I am having problems with updating the top 300

ao486 runs fine and I can get into the main menu
The files are located on usb0

I have read all 10 pages, but I still cannot get the update to run, it keeps telling me that it cannot find the files and it keeps looking at the SD card.

I have successfully run the script below and it finished telling me that it is now at 0.75

I then try to run the update script for the top300 pack and it still keeps wanting to look only at the sd card.

Would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:12 pm
MrX_Cuci wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:40 am Hmmm....scripts seems to look at media/fat/games, but I have them on media/usb0/games i can't seem to find any mnetion of the games directory in the 0.76 update script. Can anyone tell me where to put the path in the SH file?
For now, pull this script down and edit the top for /usb0. I'll fix it to where it finds it in the next revision:
https://git.io/JtMwe

# Base directory for all script’s tasks, "/media/fat" for SD root, "/media/usb0" for USB drive root.
BASE_PATH="/media/usb0"

then run it.
You can pull down the script here and then just change the basepath at the top of the script, or you can use the .ini file that is in the github and set it that way. https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... ter/update
AnthonyQ

Unread post by AnthonyQ »

Thanks Flynnsbit,

I got that working but I'm a little confused now.

What is the difference between
AO486_Update_Top300_Pack (continues to only look at the SD Card)
vs
AO486_Update_Top300_updater (which is the only one that works as I can tell the path to be usb0)
Schyz

Unread post by Schyz »

Hi,

Just tried the pack and I wanted to comment that my copy of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade adventure (6 x 360K floppy disks) has always ran on ao486, with Adlib sound ("indy256.exe a"), without issues, maybe there is something wrong with the Exodos version of the game that causes the error.

Also Gobliiins and Gobliins 2 both worked perfectly for me, I haven't tried the CD version from Exodos but my floppy disk version seems to run fine.

Try different versions/releases of those games, I did an in-place replacement in the existing folder in E: drive and it runs fine with this "eXoFlynn" environment, so it's not even related to any difference in my setup like using himem instead of hiram or my usage of emm386.
ReadyPlayerTwo

Unread post by ReadyPlayerTwo »

Been looking through the pack and been enjoying the hard work you put in, so a big thumbs up from me!! Thanks for the hard work!!

Have found a small issue with 'Prisoner of Ice', looks fun so i decided to play it. However it crashes back to the menu right after the captain gets taken by the tentacle things about 2 mins into game.

Have tried Himem and EMM386 and both give same results, did briefly see an error about 'test' filename or something, it flashed up so quick could barely read it.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Schyz wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:45 pm Hi,

Just tried the pack and I wanted to comment that my copy of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade adventure (6 x 360K floppy disks) has always ran on ao486, with Adlib sound ("indy256.exe a"), without issues, maybe there is something wrong with the Exodos version of the game that causes the error.

Also Gobliiins and Gobliins 2 both worked perfectly for me, I haven't tried the CD version from Exodos but my floppy disk version seems to run fine.

Try different versions/releases of those games, I did an in-place replacement in the existing folder in E: drive and it runs fine with this "eXoFlynn" environment, so it's not even related to any difference in my setup like using himem instead of hiram or my usage of emm386.
Thanks, yeah I already figured out there really isn't an issue with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I am embarrassed to say I had Creative Music System disabled which Crusade uses... I just need to remove the broken flag on the next update and maybe put a disclaimer at the front to make sure and have it enabled.

I'll see if the Total DOS Collection version of Gobliins and Gobliins 2 work instead of Exo. This could be the same issue as Oddworld is having. If you ever find that it is just a config or ini file difference, feel free to submit a Pull Request to the repo to fix those files. If it is actual game issues then the original pack has to be fixed.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

ReadyPlayerTwo wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:59 pm Been looking through the pack and been enjoying the hard work you put in, so a big thumbs up from me!! Thanks for the hard work!!

Have found a small issue with 'Prisoner of Ice', looks fun so i decided to play it. However it crashes back to the menu right after the captain gets taken by the tentacle things about 2 mins into game.

Have tried Himem and EMM386 and both give same results, did briefly see an error about 'test' filename or something, it flashed up so quick could barely read it.
If you can submit a bug here I will prioritize looking at it. https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_updates/issues
Schyz

Unread post by Schyz »

flynnsbit wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:41 pm Thanks, yeah I already figured out there really isn't an issue with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I am embarrassed to say I had Creative Music System disabled which Crusade uses... I just need to remove the broken flag on the next update and maybe put a disclaimer at the front to make sure and have it enabled.
I guess CMS works, but I mean Adlib. The Exodos version crashes wiht FM sound, my version, dumped IMGs from the original floppies, doesn't.

I'm thinking that maybe the Exodos version includes changes on the main EXE to bypass the need for the "translation table" included in the manual . The Total DOS Collection has multiple versions of this game so I hope you can find one in there that works.
aihooo444

Unread post by aihooo444 »

aihooo444 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:11 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:06 am
aihooo444 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:57 am on mega man x I cannot get to the second level all works fine until you beat first level then after you continue or save and continue later it goes back to launcher
Lol, I could never beat the boss car on the first level to test that. How do you beat it?
LOL
You have to completely destroy the cars that drop down not just the guys driving them I think 3 maybe 4 then a unbeatable boss beats you up and then that is end of level one then once you continue goes back to launcher
Flynnsbit have you tried this out yet.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

wackygamer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 pm Thank you so much for the pack, the dedication to old dos gaming is 100%!

Ive run into a problem I cant figure out how to solve, prior to the update Duke Nukem 3d and Shadow Warrior worked at the proper resolution (I use 640x480 output with vga on the mister IO) to my old crt. With the latest script the only way to get the resolution to work
is to go into the setup and change it to 320x200 then save and start from there.. once I quit and try to launch without the setup the resolution is off again (only showing the top portion stretched out). Ive quit to dos and ran both from command prompt with no problems.
I've just installed and run the updater today and experienced a similar thing. It ran smoothly before that, but now the frame rate tanks and the resolution looks way too high.

Using EMM instead of himem seemed to fix it crashing.

EDIT: Similar to the above, running the Duke Nukem setup and setting the resolution to 320x200 (to which it was already set) and then running it from there fixes it once. Start it next time and it runs at 1024x768. I have no core specific settings for it and am using normal HD output over HDMI and have no scan-doubling enabled.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:55 pm
wackygamer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 pm Thank you so much for the pack, the dedication to old dos gaming is 100%!

Ive run into a problem I cant figure out how to solve, prior to the update Duke Nukem 3d and Shadow Warrior worked at the proper resolution (I use 640x480 output with vga on the mister IO) to my old crt. With the latest script the only way to get the resolution to work
is to go into the setup and change it to 320x200 then save and start from there.. once I quit and try to launch without the setup the resolution is off again (only showing the top portion stretched out). Ive quit to dos and ran both from command prompt with no problems.
I've just installed and run the updater today and experienced a similar thing. It ran smoothly before that, but now the frame rate tanks and the resolution looks way too high.

Using EMM instead of himem seemed to fix it crashing.

EDIT: Similar to the above, running the Duke Nukem setup and setting the resolution to 320x200 (to which it was already set) and then running it from there fixes it once. Start it next time and it runs at 1024x768. I have no core specific settings for it and am using normal HD output over HDMI and have no scan-doubling enabled.
It sounds like I borked the config files that are used when you use the RUN.BAT file which is overwriting the config every time you use the Launcher + Run script. If you run the setup manually it will fix it until you run the game from the launcher and then it is going to copy a config over the one there and break it again. Sure enough, I broke it. See the resolution for the config files in SB16 and SC55 folders. Those will overwrite on run.
https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... DUKE3D.CFG

I'll fix it tonight and do a build.
chanunnaki

Unread post by chanunnaki »

I feel like I'm going a little crazy.

I've downloaded the eXoflynn pack from archive.org, and everything is works.

Now I'm trying to update with the script [v.0.9] but I keep getting told that the script "couldn't find disk image".

That's fine, I'm running the VHD from an external USB SSD formatted as an ext4 drive.

Here's the problem: When you start the script, it explicitly tells you to "edit the script and change the User options at the top to fit your setup and re-run."

BUT: there is no option at the beginning of the script!

Am I missing something totally obvious?

This is all that is at the top of the script...

#!/bin/bash
# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.

# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.

# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

# Copyright 2019-2020 Alessandro "Locutus73" Miele

# You can download the latest version of this script from:
# https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater_script_MiSTer

ver="v.0.9"

# ========= OPTIONS ==================
URL="https://github.com"
SCRIPT_URL="${URL}/flynnsbit/Top300_updates/blob/main/_mister/update/AO486_Update_Top300_updater.sh"
CURL_RETRY="--connect-timeout 15 --max-time 120 --retry 3 --retry-delay 5 --silent --show-error"

# ========= ADVANCED OPTIONS =========
# ALLOW_INSECURE_SSL="true" will check if SSL certificate verification (see https://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html )
# is working (CA certificates installed) and when it's working it will use this feature for safe curl HTTPS downloads,
# otherwise it will use --insecure option for disabling SSL certificate verification.
# If CA certificates aren't installed it's advised to install them (i.e. using security_fixes.sh).
# ALLOW_INSECURE_SSL="false" will never use --insecure option and if CA certificates aren't installed
# any download will fail.
ALLOW_INSECURE_SSL="true"

# ========= CODE STARTS HERE =========
Edit: OK, I see now that the script in the Scripts/ dir is only to download the latest script from the GitHub that does the updating. It would make a lot more sense if the option to change the directory in the local script.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

chanunnaki wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:58 am I feel like I'm going a little crazy.

Now I'm trying to update with the script [v.0.9] but I keep getting told that the script "couldn't find disk image".

That's fine, I'm running the VHD from an external USB SSD formatted as an ext4 drive.

Here's the problem: When you start the script, it explicitly tells you to "edit the script and change the User options at the top to fit your setup and re-run."

#!/bin/bash

ver="v.0.9"

SCRIPT_URL="${URL}/flynnsbit/Top300_updates/blob/main/_mister/update/AO486_Update_Top300_updater.sh"
CURL_RETRY="--connect-timeout 15 --max-time 120 --retry 3 --retry-delay 5 --silent --show-error"

# ALLOW_INSECURE_SSL="true" will check if SSL certificate verification (see https://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html )
# is working (CA certificates installed) and when it's working it will use this feature for safe curl HTTPS downloads,
# otherwise it will use --insecure option for disabling SSL certificate verification.
# If CA certificates aren't installed it's advised to install them (i.e. using security_fixes.sh).
# ALLOW_INSECURE_SSL="false" will never use --insecure option and if CA certificates aren't installed

You need the ini file that is out there now, then just change the base path in the ini and run the script. it will download the latest updater and run it.
Attachments
files.PNG
files.PNG (21.17 KiB) Viewed 8680 times
chanunnaki

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:03 am
chanunnaki wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:58 am I feel like I'm going a little crazy.

#!/bin/bash

ver="v.0.9"

You need the ini file that is out there now, then just change the base path in the ini and run the script. it will download the latest updater and run it.
Thanks, where do I get the ini?
chanunnaki

ok, I did it. Wow...

Incredible work dude!

I've successfully updated.

Thanks

Just in case anyone else runs into this issue, just make a file called "AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.ini" in the same folder as the .sh script with a single line in it:

BASE_PATH=/media/fat
of course, you wanna change the path to suit your setup. mine was /media/usb0
chanunnaki

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:28 pm Looks like Warcraft II doesn't like my D: CD drive hack. Just change the drive letter in the configs to F:\ and it will work. Here is a video on the process and changes you need to make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsm_Z25 ... e=youtu.be
Don't just change the war2.ini in the base directory or the run.bat will just overwrite it with the ones in either SB16 or SC55. Fix those and then run.bat will move it and fix the game for you.
I followed what was in your video to get WC2 working, but when I went into the files, they were already on drive f! So I changed them back to drive d and rebooted the game. Still no luck.

Finally, I went back in to those files and once again changed them to drive f and the game now runs and can be played.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

just wanted to say to flynn and everyone who's worked on the top 300.. thank you.. really is incredible work, i've been sat on the files waiting for a bigger sdcard to arrive.. yesterday I did a clean install of everything, and then updated the top 300.. no problems or issues, worked first time and i'm very impressed.. i can see literally months of work has gone into this collection.. amazing effort.. many many thanks.
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back