eXoflynn Top 300 update script fail

mcmister

eXoflynn Top 300 update script fail

Unread post by mcmister »

Hi

My folders are mounted to my NAS using CIFS script
When I run the top 300 update script, the script finds the VHD in games/ao486 and downlaods the update.

Script then fails to create folders in E and reports loads of errors including the following (these are just from the last few I can read on screen):
"cannot create /tmp/dos_games/E/utils"
Input/output error
Unable to process E/utils/WBAT/W.Bat. etc etc

If I then run the script again I get the following error:
"mikdir: cannot create directory ?/tmp/dos_games?: File exists"

I'm guessiing this is a file permissions issue. I ftp'd into the mister and have tried changing tmp/dos_games and tmp/dos_games/E to RW (0777) but it fails due to various INI files being read only (which I've also tried changing to 0777 but can't).

Can anyone help? I'm a Windows user and Linux makes little sense to me!

Thanks
Attachments
errors
errors
20210127_202704.jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 11490 times
errors
errors
20210127_202452.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 11490 times
manni199

Re: eXoflynn Top 300 update script fail

Unread post by manni199 »

Hi mcmister,

the script V0.7.3 worked fine on my MiSTer system.
I used the script on 26.01.2020.

First you need a working internet connection on your MiSTer.

Looking on your screenshots it seems you have a problem with the VHD file (IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games).
(BTW: Mine is 23,622GB size)
The mkdir command was not able to create the folder 'dos_games' because it already exists??
On my VDH-file the folder 'dos_games' was deleted after successfully running the script.
So maybe the update script gets confused when the 'dos_games' folder already exists.
Delete the folder?
But this is only speculation.

Or download the VHD image again if yours is corrupted?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

New update script is out there that should take care of all of these issues. Make sure you wget the latest update script from github and then run it.
chocomochino

Unread post by chocomochino »

i ran the script yesterday for the first time using the base vhd and had no issues with it
jcarvalho

Unread post by jcarvalho »

Hi! in my case the script fails with rsync : mkstemp : "/tmp/dos_vhds/E/games and path to the game" failed: Read-only file system (30)
Fails in every file/folder , so the script sucks
And the strange thing that all errors are inside microsd card in the dolfer created by the update script
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

jcarvalho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:18 pm the script sucks
Maybe this is a language difference, but this is very disrespectful, flynn has poured countless hours into this project. Please show some respect. Flynn doesn't get a paycheck and this isn't some McDonald's front counter interaction.
birdybro~
jcarvalho

aberu wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:55 pm
Maybe this is a language difference, but this is very disrespectful, flynn has poured countless hours into this project. Please show some respect. Flynn doesn't get a paycheck and this isn't some McDonald's front counter interaction.
Dont want o offend anyone here. But if I followed the instructions (only 2 steps required) for install it and it goes crazy with errors for each file, what I can say? That the script works maybe? When I am coding and the code wont work as intended , I blame only me.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

jcarvalho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:52 pm
Dont want o offend anyone here. But if I followed the instructions (only 2 steps required) for install it and it goes crazy with errors for each file, what I can say? That the script works maybe? When I am coding and the code wont work as intended , I blame only me.
Okay, I'm glad you don't want to insult Flynn. A better thing would be to just not say the script sucks. You are reporting a bug potentially, or you need help getting it to work. There are two options here, either there is unintended behavior from the script (a bug) or your configuration isn't setup right.

Neither of those options means the script "sucks", agreed?

Now let's try and figure this out for ya. :)

You said your folders are mounted to your nas using CIFS script. What do you mean specifically? Do you mean all the files are on your NAS and you mounted them using CIFS in the MiSTer? If this is true then it is almost certainly a permissions problem.

What are you using for a NAS? Is it your home windows PC or is it a separate box (like a Synology, QNAP, etc...)

If your files are mounted via CIFS to a Windows NAS, then setting Unix style permissions from the Linux device isn't correct. And you wouldn't be able to anyway if your MiSTer user (anonymous/guest/etc...) doesn't have full control of those on the Windows NAS end.

If it's a Synology/QNAP separate nas or something like that, you will need to enable the Guest account on it to allow "Everyone" to write to the folder. This has to be set on your NAS, not on the MiSTer. You won't be able to modify permissions from the MiSTer since the MiSTer can't modify the storage on your NAS anyways, if it doesn't have permissions.
birdybro~
gibs

Unread post by gibs »

Don't edit the .ini with Windows, but directly on the mister (windows add weirds characters)

ssh your mister (with the software 'putty') .
Enter login/password (default are root/1)

Code: Select all

cd /media/fat/Scripts
If your vhd is in your SD Card in the path below:
/media/fat/games/AO486/
the name of your vhd is probably : IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games.vhd

nano AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.ini
you should put : BASE_PATH=/media/fat

exit and save : CONTROL+X then Y

While you are in the terminal, enter (to launch the script):

./AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh
Or you can launch it directly from the Mister.
jcarvalho

aberu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:02 am
jcarvalho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:52 pm

Okay, I'm glad you don't want to insult Flynn. A better thing would be to just not say the script sucks. You are reporting a bug potentially, or you need help getting it to work. There are two options here, either there is unintended behavior from the script (a bug) or your configuration isn't setup right.

Neither of those options means the script "sucks", agreed?

Now let's try and figure this out for ya. :)

You said your folders are mounted to your nas using CIFS script. What do you mean specifically? Do you mean all the files are on your NAS and you mounted them using CIFS in the MiSTer? If this is true then it is almost certainly a permissions problem.

What are you using for a NAS? Is it your home windows PC or is it a separate box (like a Synology, QNAP, etc...)

If your files are mounted via CIFS to a Windows NAS, then setting Unix style permissions from the Linux device isn't correct. And you wouldn't be able to anyway if your MiSTer user (anonymous/guest/etc...) doesn't have full control of those on the Windows NAS end.

If it's a Synology/QNAP separate nas or something like that, you will need to enable the Guest account on it to allow "Everyone" to write to the folder. This has to be set on your NAS, not on the MiSTer. You won't be able to modify permissions from the MiSTer since the MiSTer can't modify the storage on your NAS anyways, if it doesn't have permissions.
Hi! the games/ao486 folder is in an external usb hd connected to mister. The script is the scrips folder of the mister sd card, the ini file is is BASE_PATH=/media/usb0

The problem is that the script goes to the tmp folder in sd card and "mark" the files as system files. The rsync cant do nothing with them because they are "locked". When I reboot mister the /tmp folder is "cleaned up" that is good, the bad is the flag of "system file"
jcarvalho

gibs wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:49 am Don't edit the .ini with Windows, but directly on the mister (windows add weirds characters)

ssh your mister (with the software 'putty') .
Enter login/password (default are root/1)

cd /media/fat/Scripts
If your vhd is in your SD Card in the path below:
/media/fat/games/AO486/
the name of your vhd is probably : IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games.vhd

nano AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.ini
you should put : BASE_PATH=/media/fat

exit and save : CONTROL+X then Y

While you are in the terminal, enter (to launch the script):

./AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh
Or you can launch it directly from the Mister.
Hi Sir. I have done all the edit in nano. the file is BASE_PATH=/media/usb0 the problem I think is not where the vhd is, since the script can find it but the permissions set to the files downloaded from the script. the rsync command cant use them because they are marked as "system files"
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

gibs wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:49 am Don't edit the .ini with Windows, but directly on the mister (windows add weirds characters)
btw, recent versions of Windows 10 don't do this anymore. Notepad can open files in UTF-8 now (it used to only edit in ANSI) since Windows 10 1803 (a feature update that is 3 years old now).

If you are referring to the line-endings (CRLF instead of LF), this shouldn't have any impact on an ini file in linux.
jcarvalho wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:40 pm Hi! the games/ao486 folder is in an external usb hd connected to mister. The script is the scrips folder of the mister sd card, the ini file is is BASE_PATH=/media/usb0

The problem is that the script goes to the tmp folder in sd card and "mark" the files as system files. The rsync cant do nothing with them because they are "locked". When I reboot mister the /tmp folder is "cleaned up" that is good, the bad is the flag of "system file"
Oh I'm confused, I thought you were the initial OP.

Something is wrong with your configuration, I just removed the previous scripts, redownloaded the newest scripts, plugged in my USB flash storage device that i use for the ao486 image (formatted as exFAT), set the ini to BASE_PATH=/media/usb0, ran the update script and it all worked.

https://pastebin.com/LAaxp10d

Log for proof.

How is your drive partitioned? What file system is it using?

Additionally if you are getting permissions errors to /tmp/... and I'm not, then that indicates something has changed about /tmp on your MiSTer when compared to the two of us here for who the script works fine.

If you use theypsilon's update_all script for and us it for the official updater, and in the past you have let it update linux, it could be that the linux side is corrupted. This occurs because theypsilon's script doesn't reboot immediately after the official updater runs and updates main and linux. If you use update_all, the surefire fix is to flash a new microSD, star fresh.

Also, try not to run the script from the OSD, try to run it from the terminal, this ensures you are using it in the correct user space.
birdybro~
jcarvalho

aberu wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:37 am
btw, recent versions of Windows 10 don't do this anymore. Notepad can open files in UTF-8 now (it used to only edit in ANSI) since Windows 10 1803 (a feature update that is 3 years old now).

If you are referring to the line-endings (CRLF instead of LF), this shouldn't have any impact on an ini file in linux.
jcarvalho wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:40 pm Hi! the games/ao486 folder is in an external usb hd connected to mister. The script is the scrips folder of the mister sd card, the ini file is is BASE_PATH=/media/usb0

Oh I'm confused, I thought you were the initial OP.

Something is wrong with your configuration, I just removed the previous scripts, redownloaded the newest scripts, plugged in my USB flash storage device that i use for the ao486 image (formatted as exFAT), set the ini to BASE_PATH=/media/usb0, ran the update script and it all worked.

Log for proof.

How is your drive partitioned? What file system is it using?

Additionally if you are getting permissions errors to /tmp/... and I'm not, then that indicates something has changed about /tmp on your MiSTer when compared to the two of us here for who the script works fine.

If you use theypsilon's update_all script for and us it for the official updater, and in the past you have let it update linux, it could be that the linux side is corrupted. This occurs because theypsilon's script doesn't reboot immediately after the official updater runs and updates main and linux. If you use update_all, the surefire fix is to flash a new microSD, star fresh.

Also, try not to run the script from the OSD, try to run it from the terminal, this ensures you are using it in the correct user space.
Hi! Thanks for your kind help, my external hdd is formated in exFat, I use the update_all script, one that has a cool menu for config what I want to update and has a counter from 13 or 14 seconds backwards before start updating.

Error:

ao486_rsync.jpg
ao486_rsync.jpg (222.3 KiB) Viewed 10089 times
immaburr

Unread post by immaburr »

mcmister wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:22 pm Hi

My folders are mounted to my NAS using CIFS script
When I run the top 300 update script, the script finds the VHD in games/ao486 and downlaods the update.

Script then fails to create folders in E and reports loads of errors including the following (these are just from the last few I can read on screen):
"cannot create /tmp/dos_games/E/utils"
Input/output error
Unable to process E/utils/WBAT/W.Bat. etc etc

If I then run the script again I get the following error:
"mikdir: cannot create directory ?/tmp/dos_games?: File exists"

I'm guessiing this is a file permissions issue. I ftp'd into the mister and have tried changing tmp/dos_games and tmp/dos_games/E to RW (0777) but it fails due to various INI files being read only (which I've also tried changing to 0777 but can't).

Can anyone help? I'm a Windows user and Linux makes little sense to me!

Thanks
Had this problem with my external hard drive and trying to update the AO486 Top 300. This post:https://askubuntu.com/questions/197459/ ... ile-system helped me fix the problem
jvas

Unread post by jvas »

immaburr wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:00 pm Had this problem with my external hard drive and trying to update the AO486 Top 300. This post:https://askubuntu.com/questions/197459/ ... ile-system helped me fix the problem
Can you tell me what the solution was? I'm dumb to linux... :(
immaburr

Unread post by immaburr »

jvas wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:54 pm
immaburr wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:00 pm Had this problem with my external hard drive and trying to update the AO486 Top 300. This post:https://askubuntu.com/questions/197459/ ... ile-system helped me fix the problem
Can you tell me what the solution was? I'm dumb to linux... :(
mount -o remount,rw /
jvas

Unread post by jvas »

Thanks, but it doesn't help. Still:
246465336_6246959855374035_2517303918434354746_n.jpg
246465336_6246959855374035_2517303918434354746_n.jpg (93.93 KiB) Viewed 8079 times
The strange thing is the "loop*" which is readonly even after remount:
245800394_636181207791180_3305506755900468267_n.jpg
245800394_636181207791180_3305506755900468267_n.jpg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 8079 times
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Is your VHD on a NAS/SAN/shared drive and not local? Do you have the VHD mounted as a drive in windows still? This is usually what happens. People mount them and then forget to unmount, linux will then only allow you to mount the VHD as read only.

If none of these are the case, you can drop to the console on the mister and use 'losetup -a' to list all the loopback devices and 'losetup -d' to remove any that have a reference to the vhd. Then try the script again.
jvas

Unread post by jvas »

The VHD is on an external USB HDD attached directly to the MiSTer. Not mounted other than the update script.
jvas

Unread post by jvas »

Help me please! The update scripts mounts the VHDs and during the update process they somehow becomes read only and I don't know why.
marcelosofth

Unread post by marcelosofth »

Hello friends, I don't have the "IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games.vhd" file, is it possible to run the script without having the vhd file?
jvas

Unread post by jvas »

marcelosofth wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:40 pm Hello friends, I don't have the "IDE 0-1 Top 300 DOS Games.vhd" file, is it possible to run the script without having the vhd file?
No. The part of the update process is to update the content of this VHD.