Cannot get FreeDOS to install

obitus1990

Cannot get FreeDOS to install

Unread post by obitus1990 »

Hi,

I grabbed a few blank VHDs from the several threads in this sub-forum and tried to install FreeDOS. I boot with a FreeDOS boot floppy and immediately re-partition the VHD, reboot, and then format the VHD with the format c: /sys command. I set the MiSTER to then boot from the HD, but on reboot the MiSTER hangs. The ao486 core detects the presence of the VHDs but, gets stuck at the BIOS screen. If I put a FreeDOS boot floppy in the slot, and reboot, it will boot to floppy successfully, and I can freely access the C: VHD I created. I have tried all different sizes of VHD, from 10mb to 2 GB in size, all with the same result. Also, if I try to run the FreeDOS installer again after booting the FreeDOS install floppy, in order to get all of the OS files installed onto the VHD, it throws an error that "your drive needs to be partitioned, do you want to proceed with partitioning" or similar.

If I don't do this pre-formatting via the boot floppy, and let the FreeDOS installer bring up FDISK and run through all the steps, followed by the required reboot, the same exact thing happens -- halt at the BIOS screen.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
chocomochino

Re: Cannot get FreeDOS to install

Unread post by chocomochino »

Maybe consulting Flynn's video about VHD might help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geivQc1 ... =flynnsbit
i know it's not covering FreeDOS, but maybe it will help?
obitus1990

Unread post by obitus1990 »

I went ahead and made my own VHDs and they work fine. Bizarre.
chocomochino

Unread post by chocomochino »

i've seen that sometimes i need to duplicate the IDE to other entries for slaves VHD to be recognized, glad it got sorted out