Help moving ao486 to an external USB drive?

stroodle

Help moving ao486 to an external USB drive?

Unread post by stroodle »

I have been struggling how to do move my ao486 folder to an external USB drive so I can setup the 300 game pack. I have tried moving the entire ao486 folder to /games/ao486 on the external drive but it is not showing up in MiSTer. I initially tried to use an old laptop HDD in an unpowered external case but I don't think there was enough power to the hub (mine is the misteraddons hub that is part of the case), and it didn't show up in the /media/usb0 folder over SSH. I then switched to a Samsung T3 SSD and that seems to be working okay, in that the files are visible over SSH. However MiSTer is still not able to show it. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong? I haven't found any info on this other that smokemonsters video.
Higgy

Re: Help moving ao486 to an external USB drive?

Unread post by Higgy »

Hi.
I just done this.
My drive is formatted NTFS. I found I had to rename my MiSter ao486 directory .ao486 (so the files are always there if I need them) then it read the external HDD.
Give that a try, it's only a folder rename.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

If you make sure you do not have any ao486 folders on the SD card (remove /media/fat/ao486/ or /media/fat/games/ao486/, and then have your /media/usb0/games/ao486/ folder with the bios files, vhds, cd, and floppy folder there, then cold boot the mister, you should see the folder just fine. If when you boot ao486, you will need to unmount the other vhds that are still mounted and referencing the old location, as that is not automatic, then follow the path to the new /games/ao486/*.vhd and mount them in the menu, then reset to apply.
matthewpont

Unread post by matthewpont »

Also, I think I had to capitalise the folder when I did it.

/AO486/
Jester

Unread post by Jester »

Just FYI

If your external USB drive is formatted as NTFS, you need to capitalize AO486 (so /games/AO486) exfat is case insensitive