Did anyone manage to run Heretic?

Dacaskos

Did anyone manage to run Heretic?

Unread post by Dacaskos »

Man I even downloaded a pre-installed package to rule out if there was something odd, but whenever I try to boot Heretic it stucks at the loading graphics screen.

If anyone could try it and give a input to see if it's something with the core itself... Thanks.
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Re: Did anyone manage to run Heretic?

Unread post by breiztiger »

same here with heretic 1.0
CPC-Power Staff
spicer

Unread post by spicer »

Working
installed from cd image its usa cd 1.3 i think (shadow of the serpent riders) full game plus 2 episodes
set music to adlib and fx to soundblaster (this is just what i used, maybe other settings will work)
works fine using "eXoFlynn Top 300" he has done an awesome job on that :D.

edit (rev 1)
squeeb

Unread post by squeeb »

Version 1.2 works for me under DOS 6.22 - make sure your clock speed is cranked up and L2 cache enabled. Back before the ao486 overhaul, heretic would freeze for me as well during that initial load.

Prepare to be underwhelmed though. You'll need to decrease the screen size by at least 2 to get what I consider a respectable framerate.

(edit I'm actually running 1.2 as well, not 1.0)
DE10 Nano (Rev C) | Digital I/O Board 1.2 | 128MB SDRAM | Noctua 40mm | 128GB Samsung Evo SD + 128GB Verbatim USB Stick

DE10 Nano (Rev ?) | Analog I/O Board 6.1 | 32MB SDRAM | Stock Fan | 64GB Samsung Evo Plus SD
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

i have just applied patch to 1.2 and it work
CPC-Power Staff
Dacaskos

Tried here the Shadow of The Serpent Riders version (I guess it's 1.3 right) and it worked, Thanks for taking the time and testing.

It's not that bad! Really... at open areas it crawls to a certain degree... but... it's a 486 after all. Back in the day we didn't notice the frame pacing as much... it's funny to think that most of the "recommended" requirements of these games should be actually the minimum, because the minimum back then was horrible performance in most cases, but I guess they wanted to sell more... and... people didn't care much as long as it ran I guess.

There's an unexpected doom port called "Fast Doom" which improves Doom's performance on older machines by a lot. Wonder if someone could do the same with Heretic and Hexen.

Thanks again!
squeeb

Unread post by squeeb »

Yea I suppose that's true. We've been spoiled by modern hardware 8-)
Dacaskos wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:17 am There's an unexpected doom port called "Fast Doom" which improves Doom's performance on older machines by a lot. Wonder if someone could do the same with Heretic and Hexen.

Thanks again!
I've been wondering the same, especially for Hexen.
DE10 Nano (Rev C) | Digital I/O Board 1.2 | 128MB SDRAM | Noctua 40mm | 128GB Samsung Evo SD + 128GB Verbatim USB Stick

DE10 Nano (Rev ?) | Analog I/O Board 6.1 | 32MB SDRAM | Stock Fan | 64GB Samsung Evo Plus SD
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

When even Fastdoom chugs at times, I doubt anything can be done for Quake engine games.

Really just wish we had Fastdoom II because Doom II runs a lot worse than I.
Dacaskos

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:36 pm When even Fastdoom chugs at times, I doubt anything can be done for Quake engine games.

I guess even Hexen runs under Doom engine. A heavily modified one, but still Doom. Heretic is basically Doom 2 with Look Up/Down implemented.

But there's a FastDoom 2 port.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:36 pm When even Fastdoom chugs at times, I doubt anything can be done for Quake engine games.

If you use my latest Top 300 update script it will also pull down Fast Doom, Fast Doom 2, and Fast Ultimate Doom from the official Fdoom github and make a menu option for it in the ao486 launcher... FYI.