Issue with fresh Windows 95 install

pwillard

Issue with fresh Windows 95 install

Unread post by pwillard »

I have a working MSDOS 6 build and while attempting to install windows 95 from my legacy collection of stuff in boxes, it hangs after a few initial win95 setup screens. It will perform some initial file copying, based disk activity, and will clear the screen, and then I'm left in a hung state with the hourglass cursor...
pwillard

Re: Issue with fresh Windows 95 install

Well, Ok, I wasn't patient enough... after a REALLY LONG wait... it finally resumed.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

If I remember it correctly you must have 2 VHDs mounted when you do the install in order to circumvent some kind of bug. I remember doing something like that when I did the install and you should find it in the forum. It was a while back and after that I temporarily gave up as I ran into trouble when trying to install the ET4000 driver.
kfreiberg

Unread post by kfreiberg »

pwillard wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:51 pm Well, Ok, I wasn't patient enough... after a REALLY LONG wait... it finally resumed.

That's how I remember Win9x installations going normally back in the day.
wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

One tips will be to install Windows 95/98 on a VirtualBox and transfer it on Mister and reset all drivers to be detectable on Mister.
You gain some times in the process :)
pwillard

Oh neat... like make a VHD on Virtual box and carry it over to AO486. Sounds like a thing to try.