Ghetto MT32-Pi

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
chanunnaki

Ghetto MT32-Pi

Unread post by chanunnaki »

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but seeing as MT32 support is vastly more prevalent on the PC core, I guess it's kind of appropriate.

Disclaimer: I'm a total novice when it comes to MIDI and DOS games.

After a week-long journey, I've finally managed to experience the joys of MT32 audio (spoiler: it's amazing) and I used only what I already had on-hand.

When I heard about MT32-Pi first, I thought I would buy a Pi A+, aluminium case, and a [pre-built] mt32-Pi hat, & a male-to-male USB cable. That would have cost $100+ and probably close to a month of waiting time. Ain't nobody got time for that, so I did my research and realised I already had everything I need to get the setup going.

I was first going to splice a USB3 cable to use the user port -- but really didn't want to butcher a perfectly good cable -- and I had a bunch of jumper cables, so I removed my IO board and wired it all up directly. I just followed the wiring guide at the bottom of the page here:
https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/wik ... connection

Anyway, without further ado, here is the [ghetto] MT32-Pi in all its glory:
photo_2021-03-03 05.32.24.jpeg
It's a Raspberry Pi 3B. I tried powering it directly from the DE10-Nano with stock power supply, but I was getting some distortion with heavier games so I'm powering the Pi separately.

I literally knew nothing about MIDI before I started and I had only ever played DOS games with SoundBlaster audio in the past, so the quality of the music in games with this is far superior to anything I've experienced before and brings new life to games like Sim City 2000, Warcraft 2, Doom and Monkey Island. Long story short, I'm totally sold on this device, and I'm going to get the Pi 3 A+, the case and the hat so I can get the IO board back on to play these on my CRT.

My advice to anyone thinking about doing this... go for it, if you don't have a Pi already, get a 3 A+, some jumper cables and build from there. It's easy and totally worth it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fallon

Re: Ghetto MT32-Pi

Unread post by Fallon »

I'm staring at p.30 of the DE-10 manual scratching my head.

Any simple guide to where the wires from the PI connect to the DE-10 Nano?

edit: Nevermind, tunnel vision on GPIO ports, thought the arduino connections were on an actual arduino, lol

edit 2: Spectrum Holobyte's Tetris Classic has some sweet music!
shimian

Unread post by shimian »

Ghetto MT32-ers unite!
IMG_1276.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RascalUK

Unread post by RascalUK »

So can this be done easily leaving the IO board on?
chanunnaki

RascalUK wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:45 pm So can this be done easily leaving the IO board on?

No, because the IO board will cover up those GPIO pins.

The USER port is bringing those pins out to make accessible. So you can just splice a usb cable with jumper wires to go from the USER Port to the pi. It's equally as easy if you have a soldering iron.

There are of course other methods available of joining wires together as well.
chanunnaki

If you plan to use cut a USB cable, make sure it's a USB 3.0 cable cos you need all 9 wires/pins.
RascalUK

Yeah cheers, I've just been hunting for one that is!
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

Finished my ghetto Mister / Mt-32 PI project:

The Case:

hbCQbsJ.jpg

Inside:

MiSTer-1.JPG
RascalUK

Ha cool. I got mine working last night too. Thanks guys. (Have ordered a hat anyway on the back of it!)
d0pefish
mt32-pi Creator

Unread post by d0pefish »

I think we have a winner here for "First Lego mt32-pi" - love it 😀
RascalUK

Lego costs more than the stuff inside it these days!
chanunnaki

pfft Lego. This is "ghetto", should have used megabloks.

edit: Just a bit of sarcasm in case of misinterpretation.
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

RascalUK wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:53 pm Lego costs more than the stuff inside it these days!
Not when you buy Chinese knockoff bricks :)
cognitivegears

Unread post by cognitivegears »

I've been iterating on the cable design for this, and the best I've been able to come up with is this:

H0Worb6.jpeg

Easy to plug in and pretty clean - just made with a ribbon cable and dupont crimper (they run about $20-30 on Amazon if you don't have one). And in a pinch those single pin dupont cables "jumper wires" work great! Honestly, besides missing the display (which there is an OSD anyway,) I think this is a great way to go!
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

chanunnaki wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:59 pm pfft Lego. This is "ghetto", should have used megabloks
*waiting for stickle bricks version
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
jordi

Unread post by jordi »

chanunnaki wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:58 am I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but seeing as MT32 support is vastly more prevalent on the PC core, I guess it's kind of appropriate.

After a week-long journey, I've finally managed to experience the joys of MT32 audio (spoiler: it's amazing) and I used only what I already had on-hand.

When I heard about MT32-Pi first, I thought I would buy a Pi A+, aluminium case, and a [pre-built] mt32-Pi hat, & a male-to-male USB cable. That would have cost $100+ and probably close to a month of waiting time. Ain't nobody got time for that, so I did my research and realised I already had everything I need to get the setup going.

I was first going to splice a USB3 cable to use the user port -- but really didn't want to butcher a perfectly good cable -- and I had a bunch of jumper cables, so I removed my IO board and wired it all up directly. I just followed the wiring guide at the bottom of the page here:

It's a Raspberry Pi 3B. I tried powering it directly from the DE10-Nano with stock power supply, but I was getting some distortion with heavier games so I'm powering the Pi separately.

I literally knew nothing about MIDI before I started and I had only ever played DOS games with SoundBlaster audio in the past, so the quality of the music in games with this is far superior to anything I've experienced before and brings new life to games like Sim City 2000, Warcraft 2, Doom and Monkey Island. Long story short, I'm totally sold on this device, and I'm going to get the Pi 3 A+, the case and the hat so I can get the IO board back on to play these on my CRT.

My advice to anyone thinking about doing this... go for it, if you don't have a Pi already, get a 3 A+, some jumper cables and build from there. It's easy and totally worth it!
Hi! Could you please do a 'top' photo to clearly see which pins go where?

I saw the schema and it was not so clear for me.
chanunnaki

jordi wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:35 am
chanunnaki wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:58 am I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but seeing as MT32 support is vastly more prevalent on the PC core, I guess it's kind of appropriate.

Hi! Could you please do a 'top' photo to clearly see which pins go where?

I saw the schema and it was not so clear for me.
Sorry friend, I've dismantled my ghetto MT32-pi and went all-in on the official board/Pi3. I hope someone else can help you out.