Problem setting up mt32-Pi hat

Lezzer

Re: Problem setting up mt32-Pi hat

Unread post by Lezzer »

Still no joy for me unfortunately.

I’ll give some details of my experience so far.

I have Antonio Villena’s slim model. I bought my first mt32-pi from misterfpga.co.uk and paired it with a pi 3 B.
Antonio’s MiSTer doesn’t have a USB shaped IO port, his are DB9. So I made a cable as per this wiring diagram he kindly provided.
7569E914-39BC-476F-90B6-40BB90E571B2.jpeg
7569E914-39BC-476F-90B6-40BB90E571B2.jpeg (186.93 KiB) Viewed 6513 times
After downloading the files and configuring the SD card I plugged it all in. I have power fine. The mt32-pi screen is on and the bars are moving up and down, both on the mt-32-pi and on my tv screen. I can control it all through the ODS just fine. But I’ve never heard a single thing with it. So I bought another, different cable and made another one as per the wiring diagram, exactly the same result.

So I then bought a second mt32-pi, this time direct from Antonio, this one came with a cable. After it was set up, I have power to the mt32-pi, the screen is on a working fine, but on this one the bars are not moving and I have no sound.

I tried a different SD card, with no difference, multiple formats and re-downloads of the software, dozens of double checking the mt32-pi.cfg.

And that’s where I am now.

I can’t think of anything other than I have a bad IO board. I’m almost positive it’s that.

If anybody here can think of something else I could try before I buy a new one, I’ll give it a go. I figured you would be the best guys to ask.

Or alternatively, if anybody on here is local to the Dorset area and would be willing to try my mt32-pi on their MiSTer I’d be very grateful.
scyto

Re: Problem setting up mt32-Pi hat

Unread post by scyto »

I just got mine. No power issues at all. Using short usb3 (25cm) cable and powering the whole lot via the barrel connector on the IO board and a *good* powersuppply.

Where i did have issues was while the MT32-pi looked like it was well seated on the PI i found that the header connections is a little iffy - so for example i had a situation where i could see the sounds bars on the MT32-pi but no sound was coming back from it. Wiggling the pi-hat seems to fix for a while. Its like freaking RAM pack wobble on a spectrum :-)