Can someone explain me step by step what to do on setup of the MiSTer?

Lostone98

Can someone explain me step by step what to do on setup of the MiSTer?

Unread post by Lostone98 »

I have learning difficulties and never done this before so can someone help me with simple explanations.

I am downloading the Exodos v5 file right know (my mister is built and has a working SD card in this regards but no AO486 installed yet. ) I had to re-download the the files as I think I corrupted the files as it no longer converting in eXoConverter 0.9.2-beta.

Much thanks.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: Can someone explain me step by step what to do on setup of the MiSTer?

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Lostone98 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:16 pm I have learning difficulties and never done this before so can someone help me with simple explanations.

I am downloading the Exodos v5 file right know (my mister is built and has a working SD card in this regards but no AO486 installed yet. ) I had to re-download the the files as I think I corrupted the files as it no longer converting in eXoConverter 0.9.2-beta.

Much thanks.
I created a ready-to-play pack that is fully configured and ready to play. I would suggest starting there instead of trying to build your own. That is more of an advanced process.

See this video starting at 28 min in for the setup and instructions. https://youtu.be/GEyNDPc2Bug?t=1723
Lostone98

flynnsbit wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:48 pm
Lostone98 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:16 pm I have learning difficulties and never done this before so can someone help me with simple explanations.

Much thanks.
I created a ready-to-play pack that is fully configured and ready to play. I would suggest starting there instead of trying to build your own. That is more of an advanced process.

See this video starting at 28 min in for the setup and instructions. https://youtu.be/GEyNDPc2Bug?t=1723
Will you be doing a part part two? some games are missing that I like, I think this is the best way of doing it. Thank you for the help
Lostone98

flynnsbit wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:48 pm

Much thanks.

How do I setup files to Run on a SSD on the MISTer?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Have a look there: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2835
Feel free to ask questions.
Lostone98

jca wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:20 pm Have a look there: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2835
Feel free to ask questions.
would this work too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqRKaBt_Oq8&t=241s

I find videos easier to follow.

Thanks for the help

Edit: I'm having a hard time following your link, I never did this before, i'm so sorry for being a pain.

I have no idea what Symlinks is?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Yes, the method shown in the video will allow you to place your game directory on the USB drive. I know that what I wrote is not easy to follow and is the reason I told you not to hesitate asking questions.
With the method I describe you can move a lot more things to the USB drive, but start with what is said in the video as it won't be wasted time if you want to move more stuff later on.
Symlink = Symbolic Link, similar to Windows shortcuts.
Lostone98

jca wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:59 pm Yes, the method shown in the video will allow you to place your game directory on the USB drive. I know that what I wrote is not easy to follow and is the reason I told you not to hesitate asking questions.
With the method I describe you can move a lot more things to the USB drive, but start with what is said in the video as it won't be wasted time if you want to move more stuff later on.
Hi, my mister doesn't seem to recognize my folders. I setup directory to: f: > Media > usb0 > AO486 On the SSD.

When I extract zip file MiSTer AO486 Top 300 DOS Games Pack do I extract file it into a new folder? I have 3 options in 7-zip, which one do I choose?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

1. Your directory must be media > usb0 > games > AO486.
2. I suppose you are on Windows. Right click on the file: 7zip > Extract file and browse to the AO486 directory.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Lostone98 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:15 pm
jca wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:59 pm Yes, the method shown in the video will allow you to place your game directory on the USB drive. I know that what I wrote is not easy to follow and is the reason I told you not to hesitate asking questions.
Hi, my mister doesn't seem to recognize my folders. I setup directory to: f: > Media > usb0 > AO486 On the SSD.

When I extract zip file MiSTer AO486 Top 300 DOS Games Pack do I extract file it into a new folder? I have 3 options in 7-zip, which one do I choose?
If you have plugged the SSD into your computer and set it up there, you should just have the folders like this:

\games\ao486

the /media/usb0/games/ao486 is how it looks when you are in the interface on the mister itself with the drive plugged into it.
birdybro~
Lostone98

aberu wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:01 am
Lostone98 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:15 pm

If you have plugged the SSD into your computer and set it up there, you should just have the folders like this:

\games\ao486

the /media/usb0/games/ao486 is how it looks when you are in the interface on the mister itself with the drive plugged into it.
When I'm in the MISTer menu do I have to switch between SD card to USB Drive?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

NO, you don't.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

This is how it works...

Your sdcard is in /media/fat/

Your usb drive (ssd in your case) is /media/usb0/

When you plug in the ssd if there are any identical folders in /media/fat/ and /media/usb0/ then the ones in /media/usb0/ are the only ones you see in the menu.

So if you make a /games/ao486 folder on your SSD when on windows, then the path on the MiSTer will be /media/usb0/games/ao486. If there is this path then the MiSTer will look at /media/usb0/games/ao486/ instead of /media/fat/games/ao486/ when you browse in the menu.
birdybro~
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

If your USB drive is formatted NTFS you better format it exFAT. NTFS is case sensitive: if MISTer is looking for /media/usb0/games/AO486 and you have /media/usb0/games/ao486 it won't find it.
Lostone98

jca wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:39 pm If your USB drive is formatted NTFS you better format it exFAT. NTFS is case sensitive: if MISTer is looking for /media/usb0/games/AO486 and you have /media/usb0/games/ao486 it won't find it.
Ok i'm getting a better grasp of it all, It was in a NTFS format and changing it to exFAT. I think that will be better, Thank you. Will keep you up dated