A0486_Update_Top300_Pack script rsync errors

vraskin

A0486_Update_Top300_Pack script rsync errors

Unread post by vraskin »

Hi all,
First of all, huge thanks to Flynn and the creators of the AO486 core for all the hard work they put in - I've had a blast dicking around with all the game and settings and getting everything to work. The problem I'm running into now is that I can't seem to get the update script to work - it appears to run properly and then at the end I get these rsync errors.

eScDi6r.jpeg
eScDi6r.jpeg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 3599 times

There's another thread out there that seems to deal with the same issue (viewtopic.php?t=1922), but there doesn't appear to be a resolution and it looks like other people aren't having this problem.

- I'm using the latest version of the script (v0.9), which i've re-downloaded several times.
- My VHDs are on an external hard drive connected directly to the MiSTer and are accessible and usable by the AO486 core so i'm pretty sure they are in the correct place
- The .ini file for the script looks like it's pointing to the right place (it throws a different error if if can't find the VHDs)

Am I missing something obvious? How do I make the drives not be read-only?

Thank you!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: A0486_Update_Top300_Pack script rsync errors

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Two things that could have happened here:
1. You mount your VHD over the network to add things and forgot to unmount it. If this happens, the mister will still mount the vhd but it will be in read only mode. You could also be trying to run the update against the VHD that is hosted somewhere besides on your SD card (over the network??)
2. something went wrong in the mounting process and your vhd is in read only mode. You can try checking to see if you have some loop back devices stuck which have the vhd open.
I broke mine on purpose to show how it leaves the loopback device there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx4D0CqhIXQ

So login to the console on your mister:
type

Code: Select all

losetup -a
if you see a loopback that is mapped to a folder then remove that with:

Code: Select all

losetup -d DEVICE
clean up any remaining directories left in TMP and try the update again.

Your VHD could also be in a bad state, pull it over to a windows box, mount it, and scan it for errors and fix...
vraskin

Unread post by vraskin »

Thanks for the thorough reply! It looks like a failed updated did something to the VHDs and left them in this state. I didn't catch it because they launched fine in the AO486 core and i could get to games and stuff. I still had the original VHD files on my computer so after copying them over to the external HD I use for the MiSTer and running the update script again everything worked fine.

For anyone running into a similar issue - the update script runs longer than I expected (like 20 minutes for me). I think interrupting it the first time I tried it is what led to this problem.
jvas

Unread post by jvas »

vraskin wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:09 pm Thanks for the thorough reply! It looks like a failed updated did something to the VHDs and left them in this state. I didn't catch it because they launched fine in the AO486 core and i could get to games and stuff. I still had the original VHD files on my computer so after copying them over to the external HD I use for the MiSTer and running the update script again everything worked fine.

For anyone running into a similar issue - the update script runs longer than I expected (like 20 minutes for me). I think interrupting it the first time I tried it is what led to this problem.
Same here. Copying the original vhd to the external USB drive again solved the problem. Still have no idea how it got corrupted.