Tutorials or guides to get started using the ao486 core for DOS games?

Greyfield

Tutorials or guides to get started using the ao486 core for DOS games?

Unread post by Greyfield »

Hi all,

I'd like to take the dive into getting my small collection of DOS games running on my MiSTer using the ao486 core, but getting started seems a bit intimidating. Do you all have any suggestions for tutorials or guides for how to get started?

I spent a lot of time getting my collection to run well using DOSBox, and oh, you know had a lot of experience running DOS games 25 years ago, so I'm not completely in the dark. It would be nice to simply be able to copy those patched games over, but I'm guessing it's not that easy.

Some of the my questions include basic core functions, like how to set up and move files onto VHDs, set up virtual CD-ROMs, but others are more technical and logistical, like which version of DOS to run to provide the best performance and compatibility (or is it easier to just use something like a top 300 pack and whittle down the games), how to set up a working CONFIG.SYS, and how to swap between different CONFIG.SYS configurations (e.g., some games requiring HIMEM), etc.

Thanks for your time!
DiamondDave

Re: Tutorials or guides to get started using the ao486 core for DOS games?

Unread post by DiamondDave »

https://youtu.be/rLpAUtALJfw

This video and others on Flynnbits channel should show you everything you need to know
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Greyfield wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:23 pm It would be nice to simply be able to copy those patched games over, but I'm guessing it's not that easy.
I would suggest consider using Flynnsbit's shareware collection as a starting point. It comes with around 100 (or so) shareware games and FreeDOS configured for MiSTer.

You can mount the VHD using Windows Computer Management/Disk Management/Action/Attach VHD and simply copy your patched games over and remove anything you don't want.

While you could do the same with the top 300 as a starting point, modifying the TDL launcher index and adding/removing/renaming games is a pain point.

https://github.com/flynnsbit/DOS_Shareware_MyMenu (don't forget to run updates)

Hope that helps...
Greyfield

Unread post by Greyfield »

Thanks DiamondDave and bbond007,

I've seen Flynnsbit's Top 300 post on top of the forums for awhile now, so I'll watch his videos and try his shareware pack first and then update it hopefully sometime this week. :D