Compilation problem

Sinclair

Compilation problem

Unread post by Sinclair »

I have been trying to compile this core and have always got the following warning:

Code: Select all

Critical Warning (332148): Timing requirements not met
Info (11105): For recommendations on closing timing, run Report Timing Closure Recommendations in the TimeQuest Timing Analyzer.
The corresponding RBF file is not generated, however the SOF file is generated but it calls it "ao486_time_limited.sof".
I have used the same version of Quartus as the other cores.
What is the reason of this time limit and how can I correctly generate the RBF file?

Thanks in advance.
macro
Core Developer

Re: Compilation problem

Unread post by macro »

It uses some of the IP components that you only have full access to on the registered version (i.e. paid for)

I think it was mainly the UART, but I would have thought it would tell you in the output.

These parts would need to be replaced with open versions for it to generate the RBF on the lite version.
Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee
Sinclair

Does that mean that it would be possible to compile this kernel without the paid Quartus version?
If so, I would like to know the necessary configuration.
Thank you.
tontonkaloun

Unread post by tontonkaloun »

what version of the core were you talking about? I will test
Sinclair

tontonkaloun wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:36 pm what version of the core were you talking about? I will test
This, for example: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/ao486_MiSTer.git
tontonkaloun

I have the same problem as you with two versions of Quartus
macro
Core Developer

Unread post by macro »

After compiling, go into the Analysis & Synthesis section, and then clicki IP Cores Summary - that shows which licensed cores it needs. These will all need replacing with your own code / opencores versions for it to produce RBF with the Lite version
Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee
tontonkaloun

ok i will try
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

As macro mentioned upthread, it's the 16550 UART core. The relevant warnings look like this:

Code: Select all

Warning (12188): OpenCore Plus Hardware Evaluation feature is turned on for the following cores
	Warning (12190): "16550 UART" will use the OpenCore Plus Hardware Evaluation feature
Warning (265072): Messages from megafunction that supports OpenCore Plus feature
	Warning (265073): Messages from megafunction that supports OpenCore Plus feature Altera 16550 Compatible UART
		Warning (265074): The reset input will be asserted when the evaluation time expires
Warning (265069): Megafunction that supports OpenCore Plus feature will stop functioning in 1 hour after device is programmed
At first glance, the core seems to be fine without the UART. I only booted DR-DOS 7.03, so I'm not sure about problems with e.g. Windows or Linux. However, note that the IP core must be removed in Qsys; you can't just remove the instantiation in the generated system.v file because it will be regenerated. I also removed "width_trans" in Qsys because this seems to only exist to deal with the UART. This will also require removing the uart connections to the "system" instantiation in ao486.sv.
Sinclair

I understand then that it is not possible to compile this core without the paid version or without giving up the UART.