AO486 Compatibility List

spicer

Re: AO486 Compatibility List

Unread post by spicer »

vanfanel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:16 pm
Goingdown wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:38 pm
thera34 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:44 am @vanfanel: It should work, I tested in both MS-DOS 6.22 and 7
It shows an error screen after Interplay logo, but after that it launches the game without issues. All that it's not working is the mini-video/intro screen.
Could you tell me about your setup? I tried this too, and no matter what I try, I cannot get it to run.
Same here. The game just doesn't seem to work, I have tried countless config options.
i get an error after the interplay logo then the game runs fine
im using exoflynn top 300 dos pack
installed from cd image in the exodos pack
ran using hiram option on boot
hope that helps you
thera34

Unread post by thera34 »

I used flynsnbit "8GB_DOS71_QEMM.vhd" and just installed the game on it. After work, I'll fire up the MiSTer to check if I made some other settings.

Later edit:

This is how skull.cfg looks like, I just had to run setup.exe and it auto-detected :

Code: Select all

[DIGITAL]
DeviceName  = Sound Blaster Pro            
DeviceIRQ   = 5
DeviceDMA   = 1
DevicePort  = 0x220
DeviceID    = 0xe001

[MIDI]
DeviceName  = Sound Blaster Pro         
DevicePort  = 0x388
DeviceID    = 0xa002
As I mentioned, works fine on MS-DOS 7.10, here's how my autoexec.bat looks like with QEMM:

C:\QEMM\LOADHI /R:1 /LO /RES=29168 /SQT=CE00-CFFF SMARTDRV
C:\QEMM\LOADHI /R:2 /LO CTMOUSE
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T4
Config.sys part:

DEVICE=C:\QEMM\QEMM386.SYS RAM BE:N X:CE00-CFFF ARAM=D000-DFFF R:2 ARAM=B000-B7FF ST:M
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FCBS=4,0
FILES=40
BUFFERS=30,0
Hope it helps
Analogue Blacksheep

Unread post by Analogue Blacksheep »

Has anyone run into this problem with Theme Hospital on DOS 6.22?

"Theme Hospital V3
Failed to initialise VRES256 screen"
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Didn't see Mortal Kombat Trilogy working on the compatibility for DOS, had my heart set on that one. Still the AO486 core is a beast! So much fun to be had with Doom and Doom II!
Dreams don't die!
tinblue

Unread post by tinblue »

Has anyone had any success with Aces of the Deep? Because I can't get it to work. Just get an Interrupt General Protection Fault screen.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

tinblue wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:26 pm Has anyone had any success with Aces of the Deep? Because I can't get it to work. Just get an Interrupt General Protection Fault screen.
Usually a general protection fault is due to the bug in the core with DPMI and Dos4gw. If you run the program with dos32a instead that usually works around it.
tinblue

Unread post by tinblue »

flynnsbit wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:14 am
tinblue wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:26 pm Has anyone had any success with Aces of the Deep? Because I can't get it to work. Just get an Interrupt General Protection Fault screen.
Usually a general protection fault is due to the bug in the core with DPMI and Dos4gw. If you run the program with dos32a instead that usually works around it.
Using DOS32a results in this error

"dos32a.exe aodcd.exe"

DOS/32A fatal (3003): file "%s" does not contain any valid exec format
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

tinblue wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:00 am
flynnsbit wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:14 am
Using DOS32a results in this error

"dos32a.exe aodcd.exe"

DOS/32A fatal (3003): file "%s" does not contain any valid exec format
Many games do not have DOS4GW in the EXE file. F.ex. with C&C I had to use... I think the file is called game.dat, to run the game.

So to run C&C I do "dos32a game.dat" and then I can play C&C :)

I wrote a problem that scans all files in a folder that are less than 100mb I think I set it to, for DOS4GW, to make it easier to know what files each games has DOS4GW in.
Shogun

Unread post by Shogun »

Caldor wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:40 am
flynnsbit wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:58 am I've only tested the ctmouse that I have in the pack and haven't veered from it, I dont even think it is the release version so their might be something better compatible with MiSTer.
I am pretty sure its tied to the mouse and not the driver. I tried different mouse drivers and it still happened. I was using a Logitech mouse. I think its called MX400 or something like that, but I remember having had this exact problem on my laptop using that mouse. Was just a while ago so I did not think much of it.

I will report back if it suddenly happens again.
Did you (or anyone else) ever get this fixed? I'm having this problem in Monkey Island 1 VGA where the mouse jumps around all over the perimeter of the screen. I also have Doom installed but mouse control works fine there.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Shogun wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:10 pm Did you (or anyone else) ever get this fixed? I'm having this problem in Monkey Island 1 VGA where the mouse jumps around all over the perimeter of the screen. I also have Doom installed but mouse control works fine there.
You can try to set "mouse_throttle=" in mister.ini to a low value. It accepts 1-100, I use "1". I had a similar problem in Stonekeep and this has helped.
Shogun

Unread post by Shogun »

Thanks that did the trick!
chuckgrody

Unread post by chuckgrody »

Shogun wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:10 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:58 am I've only tested the ctmouse that I have in the pack and haven't veered from it, I dont even think it is the release version so their might be something better compatible with MiSTer.
I am pretty sure its tied to the mouse and not the driver. I tried different mouse drivers and it still happened. I was using a Logitech mouse. I think its called MX400 or something like that, but I remember having had this exact problem on my laptop using that mouse. Was just a while ago so I did not think much of it.

Did you (or anyone else) ever get this fixed? I'm having this problem in Monkey Island 1 VGA where the mouse jumps around all over the perimeter of the screen. I also have Doom installed but mouse control works fine there.
I just installed the top 300 and I'm having something similar, but it is also hitting random keyboard buttons as well for whatever reason. I tried enabling mouse throttle, but it didn't change anything. Anyone got an idea what could be causing this? It seems to not do it if I move the mouse very VERY slowly.
Shogun

Unread post by Shogun »

chuckgrody wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:17 am
Shogun wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:10 pm

I just installed the top 300 and I'm having something similar, but it is also hitting random keyboard buttons as well for whatever reason. I tried enabling mouse throttle, but it didn't change anything. Anyone got an idea what could be causing this? It seems to not do it if I move the mouse very VERY slowly.
After playing doom for a bit the same thing happened to me. The mouse starts moving around and it keeps pressing random buttons. I believe this all has to do with the mouse. So its moving and hitting the mouse fire button. This is occurring even with mouse throttle set to 1.
Shogun

Unread post by Shogun »

So this was happening sporadically for me so I did some testing because it just started happening everywhere again. Its going all over the place and clicking randomly in all games and apps. Its weird because I was playing Doom for most of the afternoon fine. I was in apps using mouse control fine. I went into Monkey Island and it started acting up there and then was messed up everywhere else as well.

I tried different memory settings (expanded, extended, conventional), I tried different mice, I tried different settings with mouse throttle, and I tried cold rebooting the mister.

The only thing I can't switch out is I am using a makerspot usb hub.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

I have had the same problem with my mouse, not sure if it affected the keyboard. I play DOS games for a while, and f.ex. in Settlers I think it was, suddenly the mouse would just begin moving around at random. I would move the mouse and it would just jump around instead of being moved around. I do think the cursor was not moving when I was not moving the mouse. Seemed to be the same with mouse clicks.

I do think my keyboard was working, but in... oh yeah, another game was Command and Conquer, and it has no option to exit the game without using the mouse. Or save the game for that matter. Its been a while since I tried the core enough to see if the problem is still there though.
Shogun

Unread post by Shogun »

So I'm noticing that the issue is reproducible when you change the cpu speed. So I can be in Doszip, monkey island, doom ,etc and bring up the menu and change it from 90mhz to 30mhz and when I exit the menu the mouse is acting all crazy. Can anyone else confirm this? I can submit an issue on github if so (if there isn't one already).
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Shogun wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:22 pm So I'm noticing that the issue is reproducible when you change the cpu speed. So I can be in Doszip, monkey island, doom ,etc and bring up the menu and change it from 90mhz to 30mhz and when I exit the menu the mouse is acting all crazy. Can anyone else confirm this? I can submit an issue on github if so (if there isn't one already).
Interesting... I am pretty sure we are not supposed to change the speed while the core is running, or at least it should be reset after.

But that still might provide a clue as to why it happens. In my experience it seems to be a pretty consistent problem that has kept me from playing certain games much as this seems to always happen sooner or later. I guess maybe the core lowers the CPU speed in some cases.

If its not on reported on Git, it should be. I kept thinking the problem was on my side, that it was the mouse I was using. Because I got a similar problem on another computer with the same mouse, a Logitech mouse.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Ahh, there might be a fix for the mouse problem now. Latest Linux update from Sorgelig mentions:
- input: pace control for mouse messages (fixes mouse in ao486).

Could someone test this? I plan on testing it myself, but going to work now.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Caldor wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:20 am Ahh, there might be a fix for the mouse problem now. Latest Linux update from Sorgelig mentions:

Mouse works in Scorched Earth at 360x480! No more crazy mouse moving and random clicks. (640x480 resolution still doesn't work at all, but that is probably something else entirely.)

Edit: Nevermind, the crazy mouse is back (sometimes). Not sure what is triggering it.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I saw crazy mouse being caused by exactly one of my different available mice. Once the craziness started it persisted until a core reboot no matter which mouse I used, however only one of my mice would trigger it starting, others were fine. I haven't seen this issue since the linux "fix" was uploaded though.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

ash2fpga wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:52 am
Caldor wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:20 am Ahh, there might be a fix for the mouse problem now. Latest Linux update from Sorgelig mentions:

Mouse works in Scorched Earth at 360x480! No more crazy mouse moving and random clicks. (640x480 resolution still doesn't work at all, but that is probably something else entirely.)

Edit: Nevermind, the crazy mouse is back (sometimes). Not sure what is triggering it.
Ohh... I will try to test it as well. I do remember I suspected a specific mouse of causing it, so maybe I will try with different ones and see.

If it is mouse specific, I suspect it could have something to do with the dpi of the mouse. That maybe some of the new highly accurate / fast ones, confuse the MiSTer. If that is the case, I should be able to have it... not trigger I guess... if I use some very old mouse. An optical mouse should do it, I think I have one somewhere, an optical USB mouse.

Btw, first off I suspected the mouse driver I was using, but I have tried at least 3 different mouse drivers in DOS, and they none of it made a difference, or at least I still got this problem.
Captain FPGA

Just wanted to point out.

Duke Nukem 3D Yes Yes weird horizontal scrolling effect, but totally playable

I'm aware it's possible to get this game running for a long time. On my Mister after about 45 minutes it crashes back to the TDL, I made sure to use the EMM option along side Sound Blaster. Says there it works on DOS 6 & 7.1 my understanding was TDL includes 7.1 is this accurate? If so it's still crashing. Can anyone else confirm if theirs crashes after a period of time?
Dreams don't die!
Shogun

Unread post by Shogun »

I think the mouse issue has been fixed in the latest update! 8-)
input: pace control for mouse messages (fixes mouse in ao486)
So far I've changed the CPU speed in multiple games without issue. It hasn't happened since I've updated.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:16 pm Just wanted to point out.

I'm aware it's possible to get this game running for a long time. On my Mister after about 45 minutes it crashes back to the TDL, I made sure to use the EMM option along side Sound Blaster. Says there it works on DOS 6 & 7.1 my understanding was TDL includes 7.1 is this accurate? If so it's still crashing. Can anyone else confirm if theirs crashes after a period of time?
I must admit I have not tried playing Duke 3D on Ao486 for long enough to know if this was the case. I usually play through the first level. But now I have the PiMidi to test, so there is a good reason to play it a bit longer and hear the music in different levels.
Captain FPGA

Caldor wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:44 am
Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:16 pm Just wanted to point out.

I must admit I have not tried playing Duke 3D on Ao486 for long enough to know if this was the case. I usually play through the first level. But now I have the PiMidi to test, so there is a good reason to play it a bit longer and hear the music in different levels.
Good. Please report back here with results.
Dreams don't die!
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Okay, seems to be working for me.

My settings are that I am using EMM386, set AO486 to 16MB RAM, using MIDI for the music, with the PiMidi, not sure if that makes a difference. I played for 1 hour playing the game, now its just running and it has run a total of 1 hour 30 minutes. I ran it using DOS32A, so the command line is
"DOS32A DUKE3D".
Resolution set to 320x200 or whatever that default low res setting is. Oh, and no mouse. That might be relevant, because I have gotten several mouse games bugging out on me.

Did some more tests... crashed when I ran the same settings but without DOS32A. So even with the 16MB setting it crashes with DOS4GW. Now I am trying with mouse enabled but using DOS32A. So far no crashes, but it has only run for 10 minutes. The first game ran for more than 3 hours, so that certainly seemed to not have the issue.
Captain FPGA

Caldor wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:56 am Okay, seems to be working for me.

My settings are that I am using EMM386, set AO486 to 16MB RAM, using MIDI for the music, with the PiMidi, not sure if that makes a difference. I played for 1 hour playing the game, now its just running and it has run a total of 1 hour 30 minutes. I ran it using DOS32A, so the command line is
"DOS32A DUKE3D".
Resolution set to 320x200 or whatever that default low res setting is. Oh, and no mouse. That might be relevant, because I have gotten several mouse games bugging out on me.

Did some more tests... crashed when I ran the same settings but without DOS32A. So even with the 16MB setting it crashes with DOS4GW. Now I am trying with mouse enabled but using DOS32A. So far no crashes, but it has only run for 10 minutes. The first game ran for more than 3 hours, so that certainly seemed to not have the issue.
How do I access the command line to enable DOS32A DUKE3D? Apologies, I haven't set-up my TDL the VHD came pre-packaged.

Haven't bought the PiMidi yet, (I'm going to though) I'll pick one up after I resolve a problem with my SD Loader for Neo CD. I love how the PiMidi restores the music!
Dreams don't die!
Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

At the bottom of the TDL screen it says "ESC = exit", so hit the escape key and you'll be at the command prompt.

You can type "tdl" (without quotes) to load TDL back up.
Captain FPGA

Stupid Dufus wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:15 pm At the bottom of the TDL screen it says "ESC = exit", so hit the escape key and you'll be at the command prompt.

Trying it now.
Dreams don't die!
Captain FPGA

Stupid Dufus wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:15 pm At the bottom of the TDL screen it says "ESC = exit", so hit the escape key and you'll be at the command prompt.

Hi,

I must've misunderstood something. I selected the emm option then it took me to tdl, after that I hit "esc" then typed in tdl and hit enter. Then I selected Duke Nukem with sound blaster. It crashed after an hour so I tried it another way - loaded up the AO486 core again on reboot, selected emm again, it took me to tdl so I hit escape. Then I typed in DOS32A DUKE3D and from there it looked like it tried to startup but it failed to launch.

I'm assuming there's something I need to type in before DOS32A DUKE3D, then I'm supposed to hit tdl to go back to menu. Is this accurate?

I dunno if this matters but a piece of my screen is cut off due to me playing on my CRT. I can and will adjust it with service mode, prefer to do that later. If I mess with service mode it might fuck with my settings for the RGB 3DO and other platforms. So I've been blind-typing the words making sure to type as accurately as possible. I'm fairly confident I typed the text yall gave me correctly. If this becomes a problem and I need to be able to see all text I'll just move the Mister back to my HDTV in the master bedroom.
Dreams don't die!