QL core sources

danielb
Core Developer

Re: QL core sources

Unread post by danielb »

I have been spending some quality time with this core for the past few days, running it with my standard SMSQ/E boot disk image. This disk image can boot this core, Q-Emulator (which is a little glitchy with SMSQ/E) and QPC2, BTW, and would be able to boot my Q68, if it wasn't so fussy about disk partitioning etc.

Anyway, the core is really, really good now. Above all, it seems to be rock solid. In several hours of running, I haven't had a single glitch or crash.

Congratulations Marcel on a fine piece of work :)

D.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Hi, I'm trying to get this core to work on my MiSTer. So far I just get a black screen and I'm a bit lost.

First of all I output to a 15khz CRT TV via Direct Video. Not sure if this is supported?

I tried both rbfs from the official MiSTer git and also the one from Marcel, from the first page link. I also tried a few boot.roms / ql.roms.

Any ideas on what am I doing wrong would be appreciated.
desin24

Unread post by desin24 »

look here
https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 15#p361615

try first on a HDMI monitor
MarcelK

Unread post by MarcelK »

danielb wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:50 pmAnyway, the core is really, really good now. Above all, it seems to be rock solid. In several hours of running, I haven't had a single glitch or crash.

Congratulations Marcel on a fine piece of work :)
Cool, thanks for the feedback :-)
MarcelK

Unread post by MarcelK »

akeley wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:53 pm Hi, I'm trying to get this core to work on my MiSTer. So far I just get a black screen and I'm a bit lost.

First of all I output to a 15khz CRT TV via Direct Video. Not sure if this is supported?
No idea either, but given your experience I'd say not. Or your monitor cannot cope with the signal that comes out. Either way, you'll probably have more luck using HDMI.
mickenx

Unread post by mickenx »

Hi Marcel and others!

I am trying to use the Ql core , but I end up with this screen:
http://www.update.uu.se/~micken/qlcore.jpg using minerva.

with js rom I get a white blank screen.

Any clues what might go wrong? The "official" core works.
MarcelK

Unread post by MarcelK »

There's an updated core at https://www.kilgus.net/ql/mister/ that includes an improved QL speed mode (curtesy of Daniele Terdina of QemuLator fame) and tracks the upstream changes once again. Also SMSQ/E has been updated to v3.37 (now integrated in a .WIN file for easy mounting, must use 4096KB memory mode!). I haven't had much time to play with it, but it seems to work for me.
MarcelK

Unread post by MarcelK »

I once again integrated the upstream changes and released a small update at https://www.kilgus.net/ql/mister/

But even better news, I finally decided that it's time to merge the two development branches again, which Sorgelig gladly approved this morning. So all future standard MiSTer releases will be based on this version 8-) :)
lroby74

Unread post by lroby74 »

It's wonderfull!! I love QL!!
But support to .FLP (3.5" floppy disks) files? :(
MarcelK wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:34 pm I once again integrated the upstream changes and released a small update at https://www.kilgus.net/ql/mister/

But even better news, I finally decided that it's time to merge the two development branches again, which Sorgelig gladly approved this morning. So all future standard MiSTer releases will be based on this version 8-) :)
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

@MarcelK,

First of all many thanks for this updated version!

I have followed the installation instructions on GitHub.

When I lunch the core a get the following error message:

'At line 720 out of memory'.

This happens with both the JS and Minerva roms.

Also I get the same error message if I lunch any games after pressing the letter G.

Sorry if I am missing the obvious, but any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT:
All sorted, I have changed the RAM settings form the OSD Menu! Off to enjoy Space Invaders. I love it :mrgreen:
MarcelK

Unread post by MarcelK »

lroby74 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:22 am It's wonderfull!! I love QL!!
But support to .FLP (3.5" floppy disks) files? :(
Floppy images are pretty uncommon in the QL world and with the SD driver you get something much better. I don't quite see the use-case?

Cheers, Marcel
MarcelK

Unread post by MarcelK »

Alkadian wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:38 amAll sorted, I have changed the RAM settings form the OSD Menu! Off to enjoy Space Invaders. I love it :mrgreen: [/b]
Yes, like all native QL device drivers the SD driver must hold the FAT in RAM. My demo disc is much too big for it the 128KB setting. Only MDV images or very small SD images (<5MB) are usable there. Enjoy!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

MarcelK wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:20 pm
Alkadian wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:38 amAll sorted, I have changed the RAM settings form the OSD Menu! Off to enjoy Space Invaders. I love it :mrgreen: [/b]
Yes, like all native QL device drivers the SD driver must hold the FAT in RAM. My demo disc is much too big for it the 128KB setting. Only MDV images or very small SD images (<5MB) are usable there. Enjoy!
Sure, fully understood thanks!

When yout get a chance would you please be so kind as to point me to the right documentation on how to build a .WIN image from scratch? I would love to play Spook which is a very nice Pacman clone.

https://qlwiki.qlforum.co.uk/doku.php?id=qlwiki:spook

Thanks a lot!
MarcelK

Unread post by MarcelK »

.WIN is the native format for most emulators. I already posted a description for QPC here: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=10603#p10603

The "DOS" Device can be used to access the PC drives. When you use my QPCDemo.win some filetransfer and ZIP tools are already included. Try CueShell for example. Files can be moved there by drag'n'drop. ZIP files can be extracted by right clicking the name. Etc.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

MarcelK wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:27 pm .WIN is the native format for most emulators. I already posted a description for QPC here: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=10603#p10603

The "DOS" Device can be used to access the PC drives. When you use my QPCDemo.win some filetransfer and ZIP tools are already included. Try CueShell for example. Files can be moved there by drag'n'drop. ZIP files can be extracted by right clicking the name. Etc.
Great, thanks. I guess I just need to study this a little more then.

Thanks again!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

@MarcelK,

One more question please.

When you boot the Desktop, can you please let me know how to get to the top menu options (for example Cueshell)?

Thanks!
MarcelK

Unread post by MarcelK »

Usually using a mouse... if none is available, switch jobs using Ctrl+C. When the mouse pointer is visible you can also use the cursor keys to move it.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

MarcelK wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:00 am Usually using a mouse... if none is available, switch jobs using Ctrl+C. When the mouse pointer is visible you can also use the cursor keys to move it.
My mouse was not recognised but Ctrl+C did the trick indeed. Straight after I was able to drive the cursor with the mouse itself, as intended, and access to the top menu. Brilliant, thanks a lot!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

@MarcelK,

Just to let you know that I have manged to create a new .WIN by following your instructions under your great QPC 2. Cueshell is really cool! I am so pleased about it. Many thanks! :D
MarcelK

Unread post by MarcelK »

Alkadian wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:23 pmMy mouse was not recognised but Ctrl+C did the trick indeed.
Ha, interesting. I've seen the problem of the mouse not waking up for a long time on some emulators, but it worked every time I tried on MiSTer. After your post I tried some stuff again and finally realized its connected to the CPU speed. On Full you have to move the mouse quite very much before it triggers the first time, not so much on other speeds. After the first trigger the wake-up seems to work with Full-speed, too. I need to have a look at that one day.
Just to let you know that I have manged to create a new .WIN by following your instructions under your great QPC 2. Cueshell is really cool! I am so pleased about it. Many thanks! :D
Cool, glad you like it. The QL was quite a good machine for its time. I mean the software, not the hardware, though at least it was very beautiful ;)
Alkadian
Top Contributor

MarcelK wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:17 pm
Alkadian wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:23 pmMy mouse was not recognised but Ctrl+C did the trick indeed.
Ha, interesting. I've seen the problem of the mouse not waking up for a long time on some emulators, but it worked every time I tried on MiSTer. After your post I tried some stuff again and finally realized its connected to the CPU speed. On Full you have to move the mouse quite very much before it triggers the first time, not so much on other speeds. After the first trigger the wake-up seems to work with Full-speed, too. I need to have a look at that one day.
I see, thanks. That make sense then!
MarcelK wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:17 pm
Alkadian wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:23 pmJust to let you know that I have manged to create a new .WIN by following your instructions under your great QPC 2. Cueshell is really cool! I am so pleased about it. Many thanks! :D
Cool, glad you like it. The QL was quite a good machine for its time. I mean the software, not the hardware, though at least it was very beautiful ;)
Yeah, very powerful software indeed! :mrgreen:
tinblue

Unread post by tinblue »

Does anyone have mdv images that work for PSION Chess and The Pawn?
desin24

Unread post by desin24 »