TI994A and real tapes support

lroby74

TI994A and real tapes support

Unread post by lroby74 »

Hello,
would be possible to add real tapes loading via a tape recorder and using external audio jack input?

Thanks in advance
tmop

Re: TI994A and real tapes support

Unread post by tmop »

There is a workaround to load TI BASIC programs (only TI BASIC, not Extended BASIC). You can convert to SSS modules and load and run in such way in MiSTer.

There is an article on the TI99 IUC site with the needed steps:
http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/index.php?pag ... 5ptL3yg-Uk

The article is in Italian, but it's quite easy to understand using screenshoots. At the end of the article there is a pack of some classic games, already converted.

Moreover, I've compiled more than 100 TI BASIC/Extended BASIC games and converted in SSS cartridge, so thay can run also on MiSTer TI99 core. They are available on the AtariAge TI99 forum:
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/31125 ... -compiled/

But let's hope the TI99 core will receive an update with disk and tape support... :D
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Indeed! And most importantly, _with write support_ (at least on the floppy side). Far too many cores lack that which diminishes the experience a lot.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

rhester72 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:39 pm Indeed! And most importantly, _with write support_ (at least on the floppy side). Far too many cores lack that which diminishes the experience a lot.
Let's hope in a Christmas gift for TI99 users... :-)
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

It seems that the Mist core has now the floppy disk controller (PHP1240):

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... res/ti994a

Hope to have soon this also implemented on MiSTer core...
rhester72
Top Contributor

Ooh! Ooh! Good Lord I hope so!
lroby74

Unread post by lroby74 »

tmop wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:02 pm Hope to have soon this also implemented on MiSTer core...
I hope same thing very much too!
retrodroid

Unread post by retrodroid »

I too would love to see this working. I have a bunch of old saved code from back in the day on cassette from programs I wrote that I'd like to try to get running on MiSTer!
werpu

Unread post by werpu »

Since no news on this frontier I opened a github request/issue: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/TI-99_4 ... r/issues/9
lets see what will come from it
werpu

Unread post by werpu »

No answer, I guess the core is abandoned :-(
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I noticed that the core has 16:9 instead of wide/full and doesn't accept custom aspect ratios. So I couldn't use any 240p "super resolution" with it. It's also missing 5x 1080p crop that is making its way to more and more cores, especially welcome with the large border this system uses.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

retrodroid wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:05 pm I too would love to see this working. I have a bunch of old saved code from back in the day on cassette from programs I wrote that I'd like to try to get running on MiSTer!
Well, technically it's possible to transform TI BASIC programs (no Extended BASIC) in SSS module and run them on MiSTer. For Extended BASIC it's possible to compile them (adding extra speed...), convert in SSS module and run them on MiSTer. I've already posted some links (pointing to AtariAge forum and/or TI99IUC website) of some TI BASIC/Ext. BASIC programs already converted in such way (e.g. Robopods, Morphy and other classic games).

The first step is convert the tapes to .wav files using a normal PC. Once this first step is done I'm more than happy to help converting them in SSS and run on MiSTer. While waiting to have the disk/tape support on this core...
rhester72
Top Contributor

Do you have any docs on how to do this to XB programs? I converted a _LOT_ of the 99er magazine BASIC programs to modules, but wasn't aware of a process for XB.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

rhester72 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:10 pm Do you have any docs on how to do this to XB programs? I converted a _LOT_ of the 99er magazine BASIC programs to modules, but wasn't aware of a process for XB.
At the moment Classic99 can only directly convert TI BASIC, not Extended BASIC. However, it's possible to compile XB programs. If you look at this thread on AtariAge (https://atariage.com/forums/topic/31125 ... /#comments) you'll find more than 200 compiled games in module format. I'll add more as soon as I'll compile them.
retrodroid

Unread post by retrodroid »

tmop wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:37 pm
retrodroid wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:05 pm I too would love to see this working. I have a bunch of old saved code from back in the day on cassette from programs I wrote that I'd like to try to get running on MiSTer!
Well, technically it's possible to transform TI BASIC programs (no Extended BASIC) in SSS module and run them on MiSTer. For Extended BASIC it's possible to compile them (adding extra speed...), convert in SSS module and run them on MiSTer. I've already posted some links (pointing to AtariAge forum and/or TI99IUC website) of some TI BASIC/Ext. BASIC programs already converted in such way (e.g. Robopods, Morphy and other classic games).

The first step is convert the tapes to .wav files using a normal PC. Once this first step is done I'm more than happy to help converting them in SSS and run on MiSTer. While waiting to have the disk/tape support on this core...
Wow. That is an amazingly generous offer.

Unfortunately I've got a bunch of tapes and only a limited idea of what's on them. It would all be Extended Basic though. Just little demos and starts of games and things I put together back then. Probably lots of games I typed in from 99'er magazine too. I'll have a look through them to see if I can tell what's what.

What is the best way to convert these tapes into .wav files?
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

retrodroid wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:14 pm
What is the best way to convert these tapes into .wav files?
Try with Audacity, then test the .wav (it's better to convert it in mono) with MAME TI99/4A emulator. If it can read it, you can then save to a disk that is easy/fast to manage.

The '99 magazine files should all be already available on the net, so it's better to try to recover your own games to preserve them. ;-)