MultiComp, now with Image files and UART

S0urceror

MultiComp, now with Image files and UART

Unread post by S0urceror »

I decided to give the MultiComp a little bit of love and have updated it to the latest IP and sys files. I then added the ability to use image files that you can now put in the GAMES/MULTICOMP folder. Last but not least I added the UART functionality so that you can interface with MultiComp via the linux shell and minicom. Easier when you want to copy/paste things into the core.

Added a pull request: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MultiComp_MiSTer/pull/2
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: MultiComp, now with Image files and UART

Unread post by Newsdee »

Is there any docs on the system? I'm not really familiar with it
cvenditti
Core Developer

Unread post by cvenditti »

S0urceror wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:29 pm I decided to give the MultiComp a little bit of love and have updated it to the latest IP and sys files. I then added the ability to use image files that you can now put in the GAMES/MULTICOMP folder. Last but not least I added the UART functionality so that you can interface with MultiComp via the linux shell and minicom. Easier when you want to copy/paste things into the core.

That was on my TODO list for a long time. Thank you :D
I will Have a look on Monday and do the merge
cvenditti
Core Developer

S0urceror wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:29 pm I decided to give the MultiComp a little bit of love and have updated it to the latest IP and sys files. I then added the ability to use image files that you can now put in the GAMES/MULTICOMP folder. Last but not least I added the UART functionality so that you can interface with MultiComp via the linux shell and minicom. Easier when you want to copy/paste things into the core.

Did you try the write on the disk image?
it is not working for me please look this old post:
https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 55#p366655

Thank you
S0urceror

cvenditti wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:09 pm Did you try the write on the disk image?
it is not working for me please look this old post:
https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 55#p366655
As a matter of fact I haven't done a write yet. I'll try and report back here. If there is a problem I'll fix that.

Update: small writes work, like ERA TEXTFILE removes the TEXTFILE from the directory. Bigger writes however, like PIP A:=C:MBASIC.COM return a write error or indeed hang. This could be because of the VHD drive geometry not corresponding to Grant Searles CP/M implementation but more likely there is a problem in the sdcard hdl. I'll check if I can find where the problem is or replace with another Verilog sdcard implementation.
S0urceror

Update, after inserting a small wait (loop from 50 to 0) between the IN (check status) and OUT (write new block) in assembly code I managed to get a stable write. I was able to format a new disk and install CP/M on it.

So I guess there is an issue with the virtual SD card implementation in the MISTer in combination with the MultiCore SD card controller that is timing specific. Something that doesn't happen on real hardware. Haven't found the issue yet but created a workaround in code.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Very interesting, using the secondary SD card was a pain and was a limitation for those without a secondary SD. Is this for the Z80 core only? What kind of disk images (8MB HD)?
ron

Unread post by ron »

Have you tried this core ?
https://github.com/RW-FPGA-devel-Team/Mister_mc-2g-1024

This package is an extension on the FPGA multicomputer, as introduced by Grant Searle. It focuses on the Z80 CP/M computer.

Does work with secondary SD or VHD file as described at git.

regards.
S0urceror

jca wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:22 pm Is this for the Z80 core only? What kind of disk images (8MB HD)?
Yes I made the changes for Z80 CP/M. I'll upload the software changes to my GitHub https://github.com/S0urceror/MultiComp_ ... 20(basmon).

This should get things working on .VHD images. Instructions on installation can be found here: http://searle.x10host.com/Multicomp/cpm/fpgaCPM.html
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

ron wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:58 pm Have you tried this core ?
https://github.com/RW-FPGA-devel-Team/Mister_mc-2g-1024
Thanks. No I did not know about it and I am pleased with the improvements. Using VHD instead of secondary SD card is more convenient, I just installed the rbf/VHD and made a few quick tests. Now I have to look at the different OSes.
The Multicomp is a special core to me as it allowed me to discover MISTer. I always have been curious about FPGAs but never did anything about it as it seemed something requiring 10 years of study before being able to do anything. One day I discovered Grant website and ordered the RioRand board, a USB blaster and discovered that while not easy FPGA are not the monsters I imagined. I went shopping for a FPGA development board, among them there was the DE-10 nano: very powerful and nice features plus there was this open source project called MISTer. I got it thinking that if I did not succeed playing with it I could just use it for MISTer. After getting it I realized that may be it was not the best choice: not only I would have to learn HDL but also how to communicate with the ARM side to make good use of it. Short story, I used it for MISTer and never went back. I am not a gamer, if I said that I never played a video game I would not be far from the truth but I must say that I enjoy everything running on MISTer. Now don't challenge me in a game contest: I usually die very quickly :lol: .
Recently I got a DE-0 nano (non SOC) to go back to what I was planning in the first place but I did not go too far: MISTer is consuming a huge part of my free time :( :D :shock: .
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

S0urceror wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:48 pm Yes I made the changes for Z80 CP/M. I'll upload the software changes to my GitHub https://github.com/S0urceror/MultiComp_ ... 20(basmon).

This should get things working on .VHD images. Instructions on installation can be found here: http://searle.x10host.com/Multicomp/cpm/fpgaCPM.html
Thanks, I hope to find the rbf soon. No problem using it, see my previous post.
Hopefully these 2 new cores will make it to the official list.
S0urceror

@Ron, I checked your core and it looks great!

Also took the liberty to merge your sd_controller.vhd with my version of MultiCore and it looks like it is working. But I think more testing is needed. If you check my GitHub you'll find the new code to build in Quartus. Let me know how it works on your side.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I am interested on learning how to build the core as there is no rbf. Can you confirm the Quartus version to be used (17 if I remember)?
What do I have to download from Github and start the build?
Thanks
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I also started to test the mc-2g-1024 core. Is there any discussion about it in this forum or somewhere else?
S0urceror

jca wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:51 pm I am interested on learning how to build the core as there is no rbf. Can you confirm the Quartus version to be used (17 if I remember)?
What do I have to download from Github and start the build?
Thanks
Download or clone everything from here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MultiComp_MiSTer.
Then start Quartus 17. Open MultiComp.qpf (project file) and start compilation (CTRL+L). After 10 minutes or more you have a shiny new build (.rbf) in the output_files folder. This you can place on your MiSTer and run.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks,
Shouldn't I use https://github.com/S0urceror/MultiComp_MiSTer instead?
I went ahead clicked on Code -> Download ZIP. I guess it is the way to do it.
rcade

Unread post by rcade »

Can someone post an RBF with the changes for VHD somewhere, at least until it makes it to the main tree?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I installed Quartus 17.1, downloaded everything from your Github, started Quartus, did not update the IP at this time, compiled the project and got a Multicomp.rbf which I renamed NewMulticomp.rbf in order not to step over the original, downloaded the SD card image from the PI8DP guy (I looked for it not realizing you have the link in your Github) and placed it in games/Multicomp. I booted CP/M. It works :D .
Are you aware of any problem with the core? I will post if I find any.
I can post the rbf if the S0urceror gives me the green light.
Note: this is the first MISTer core I compiled.
rcade

Unread post by rcade »

I got it compiled and working. This core needs the 15KHz support added as well.
S0urceror

jca wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:08 pm I can post the rbf if the S0urceror gives me the green light.
Yes, no problem, please go ahead.
cvenditti
Core Developer

The new RBF has been posted on the official MiSTer Repo.
I still have issues coping files between volume with the original VHD image
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

Was really please when UART capability was added to MultiComp but I just can't get Minicom to communicate with the Core. I'm sure I must be missing something but just can't figure out what it is.
Anyone able to help?
S0urceror

EeDee wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:34 pm I'm sure I must be missing something but just can't figure out what it is.
Anyone able to help?
  • I just start MultiComp.
  • Then start a SSH to mister: ssh root@mister.lan.
  • Then type minicom without any extra options and it should connect.
  • Oh yeah, make sure that UART mode is None.
  • Press SPACE for the MultiComp monitor to assign the serial connection as the default input.

Alternatively you can select MIDI/Remote/TCP in UART and use a program like NC (netcat) or Putty to connect.
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

I like this Core so thanks for the work put into it by CVendetti and the additional work by SOurceror. Thanks also to SOurceror whose reply to my query put me on the right track
wvisser

Unread post by wvisser »

Regarding the secondary SD card: I flashed the CP/M demo disk to an SD card and popped it in the secondary SD card. How do I tell the core to use that card?
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

If an disk image is not mounted from the OSD then the SD card image should boot automatically
wvisser

Unread post by wvisser »

That's the bevaviour I recall, but it doesn't seem to work anymore...
Can anyone confirm that this core can still boot from the secondary SD card?
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

It doesn't boot from SD in this build. Version 20180629 works though
cvenditti
Core Developer

I might Have to have a look, I will try this week
Cyril
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

cvenditti wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:28 pm I might Have to have a look, I will try this week
Cyril
Thanks