Macintosh Plus Setup

jca
Top Contributor

Re: Macintosh Plus Setup

Unread post by jca »

Nice to have a Mac without a KB driving you insane. Thanks to the developers.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

meauxdal wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:10 pm ...
There's a system selection function that will let you hot swap between systems 5.1 / 6.0.8 / 7.0.1 / 7.1.2 / 7.5.5... lots of other goodies. DM me if you want to give it a spin. Suggestions are extremely welcome - are there Mac apps you consider essential that should be added? Let me know.
Thanks for the info. Being able to switch OS versions seems to be interesting; being semi illiterate regarding the mac I am curious to see how it is done. Regarding apps I think apps which have/had no equivalent on the PC and which showcased the revolutionary GUI (at the time) would be interesting but my lack of knowledge on the Mac is not helpful to make any recommendation.
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

There's a System Picker app installed and accessible after you first boot into 7.5.
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

Bas wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:54 pm There's a System Picker app installed and accessible after you first boot into 7.5.
Where is this ? part of one of the vhd images?
meauxdal

Unread post by meauxdal »

ericgus09 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:11 pm
Bas wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:54 pm There's a System Picker app installed and accessible after you first boot into 7.5.
SavageTaylor's images (linked earlier in this thread) have the application installed, but only one OS present. In the WIP .vhd I've been sharing, there are 5 different OSes (covering most of what you'd want to use on a Plus) installed on the drive, with System Picker 1.1a3 allowing you to switch between them from a single .vhd. It's extremely useful software for this era of Macintosh computing!
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

meauxdal wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:39 pm
ericgus09 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:11 pm
SavageTaylor's images (linked earlier in this thread) have the application installed, but only one OS present. In the WIP .vhd I've been sharing, there are 5 different OSes (covering most of what you'd want to use on a Plus) installed on the drive, with System Picker 1.1a3 allowing you to switch between them from a single .vhd. It's extremely useful software for this era of Macintosh computing!
Oh nice .. do let me know when its done..
meauxdal

New update is out for anyone testing my .vhd. Please update to the latest version linked in the Google Doc. The old version has an old Macintosh virus called nVIR A. It's harmless, but annoying - not something you want infecting your files. It's been eradicated in the new test image and future tests will be scanned with Disinfectant before upload. My apologies.

I do think it's kind of funny that this over 30-year-old virus is still kicking around, now on FPGA :lol:
retrodroid

Unread post by retrodroid »

jca wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:15 pm
jca wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:30 am What is the status of the core?
The latest OS 7.1 VHD posted in this thread does not work with the official release 2021/03/03 but works with the rbf posted in this thread 2021/03/15.
Shouldn't the official repository be updated?
Today's update fixed the "problem" and is now booting the OS 7.1 VHD. As a bonus the screen got back its rounded corners on the right hand side. The addition of the RTC should allow the use of OS 7.5 and the VIA, I suppose, for serial communication.
Thanks to the developers. MISTer impresses me more and more almost daily
So I last had this core working back in mid-March, using the 6.0.8 .vhd file from this post:
viewtopic.php?p=21009#p21009

Today I ran update_all script and then downloaded the mac os 7.1 us.vhd file from this post:
viewtopic.php?p=20752#p20752

Now my 31khz CRT reports it is out of range when I boot this core. I do hear the boot sound. VGA output is scaler off, which was working fine with the 6.0.8 os.

Thoughts?
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

This core outputs 1024x768 @48 khz (512x384 @24hz line doubled). Does your monitor support that?
retrodroid

dmckean wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:06 pm This core outputs 1024x768 @48 khz (512x384 @24hz line doubled). Does your monitor support that?
It should I think, tri-sync arcade monitor; 31khz, 25khz, 15.7khz.

As I said it was working fine with the earlier build. I'll see if I can get 6.0.8 to work now.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

retrodroid wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:12 pm
dmckean wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:06 pm This core outputs 1024x768 @48 khz (512x384 @24hz line doubled). Does your monitor support that?

As I said it was working fine with the earlier build. I'll see if I can get 6.0.8 to work now.
A tri-sync arcade monitor won't support a 48khz sync. Maybe a native 24hz mode can eventually be added, your monitor could sync to that.
meauxdal

v12.01 of my image was just released. Please update! It is by far the best version to date. Includes some extras this time. Knock on wood, this one should be mostly stable so barring any reported showstoppers (testers, let me know if you can boot this thing up, etc.), I may take some time to work on the Amiga/ShapeShifter image next. There are oodles of lovely color games that we can get up and running via that core that I haven't tested yet.

As usual, anyone interested in test driving, shoot me a PM.
BigMac2

Unread post by BigMac2 »

meauxdal wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:02 pm v12.01 of my image was just released. Please update! It is by far the best version to date. Includes some extras this time. Knock on wood, this one should be mostly stable so barring any reported showstoppers (testers, let me know if you can boot this thing up, etc.), I may take some time to work on the Amiga/ShapeShifter image next. There are oodles of lovely color games that we can get up and running via that core that I haven't tested yet.

Awesome, I might give ShapeShifter a try. Current MacPlus core is a good start but still far away from being a usable desktop environnement. Let's hope a SE/30 core is achievable, but I doubt an NeoGeo/Furtek levels of reverser engineering is coming soon for getting this task done.
retrodroid

dmckean wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:38 pm
retrodroid wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:12 pm

A tri-sync arcade monitor won't support a 48khz sync. Maybe a native 24hz mode can eventually be added, your monitor could sync to that.
Yeah, no go with the updated core either, as expected I guess. I can't explain it but it did work when I tried in March, before the lastest updates. In any case, I just enabled the scaler and it's all good. :)
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

meauxdal wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:02 pm v12.01 of my image was just released. Please update! It is by far the best version to date. Includes some extras this time. Knock on wood, this one should be mostly stable so barring any reported showstoppers (testers, let me know if you can boot this thing up, etc.), I may take some time to work on the Amiga/ShapeShifter image next. There are oodles of lovely color games that we can get up and running via that core that I haven't tested yet.

Thanks for your efforts, I did not do much testing on the MacPlus side as I also wanted to test ShapeShifter. It took me a long time as I had problems with Minimig and USB drive. I finally managed to make it work. When you decide to work on this disk image could you put Speedometer as want to make a comparison between the MacPlus core, ShapeShifter on Minimig core and Basilisk II on the Linux side. On the Macplus and Bsilisk II it is not a problem but on Minimig side it would be more problematic for me: I did not use the Minimig core in more than a year and forgot a lot of stuff, at that time I also tried to install ShapeShifter but failed miserably. I wouldn't know where to start.
vanfanel

Unread post by vanfanel »

Are you guys getting sound effects to play in Lode Runner?
MiniVMac seems to play them fine using the same copy of the game.
meauxdal

vanfanel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:20 am Are you guys getting sound effects to play in Lode Runner?
MiniVMac seems to play them fine using the same copy of the game.
I thought the game was essentially silent, but it does look like it plays a little (horrible-sounding) jingle at the end of each stage normally. Wonder if this works if you run the game from a bootable floppy on the core or if something else is going on here.

Edit: Wait, you said sound effects. I may have to boot this up in Mini vMac and see what it does. I saw a video on Youtube that played an ending jingle, but still wasn't playing any SFX. I'll take a look at it.

Edit 2: I don't think this game has any sound effects (please correct me if I'm wrong). There is a short jingle when you finish a level. It works when you run the game from a .dsk.
meauxdal

New version (v13.02) of my hard drive image is out there, linked from the usual document. This is probably the most stable and polished release thus far.
Solskogen

Unread post by Solskogen »

meauxdal wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:31 pm New version (v13.02) of my hard drive image is out there, linked from the usual document. This is probably the most stable and polished release thus far.
Usual document? Sorry, I'm new to the MacPlus :-)
meauxdal

Solskogen wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:20 am
meauxdal wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:31 pm New version (v13.02) of my hard drive image is out there, linked from the usual document. This is probably the most stable and polished release thus far.
Usual document? Sorry, I'm new to the MacPlus :-)
Right, sorry, for anyone just joining - if you are interested in testing out my Macintosh .vhd files, please send me a PM or email or just reply here saying you're interested and I'll send you a link!
Malaespera

Unread post by Malaespera »

I would be happy to try your work with macintosh .vhd files.
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

Also interested, PM sent @meauxdal. Thanks in advance.

かすりん

meauxdal

I am so grateful for this community. Y'all have been great. Thank you for the support! I hope playing some of these old games gives any of you as much joy as it has given me!

I think something I'll do once the images are "done" more or less, is write out a beginner's guide to the core with the things I've learned, so people who have struggled with its setup (particularly re: installing games and applications onto the .vhd) but aren't interested in using pre-fab images can get up and running and experience the majesty this core has to offer as well. After all, part of the wonderful thing about computing is that everyone can make their setup their own through customization, application selection, and more.

Really, anything I can do to support the fabulous developers and users of this community. Thank you all for being great!
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks for your work. I just tested the vhd with BasiliskII on MISTer and I can confirm that it works. I hope your guide will cover the updating of the ShapeShifter disk. For the Mac core it is easy using MiniVac and the 2 utilities to transfer files between the PC and MiniVac
vanfanel

Unread post by vanfanel »

Hey guys, is the massive crackling in Prince of Persia intro music supposed to happen on a real Macintosh?
I don't have one to compare.
meauxdal

Audio is weird. Some games (Lemmings, Warlords, Factory) sound essentially flawless as far as I can tell. MusicWorks seems perfect on some tunes, but has slight tempo hiccups on others. And some games like Prince of Persia sound very bad for some reason - at least in the intro. The in-game SFX seem fine.

Not sure we're going to find too many folks with real hardware to compare against. The only person I know with one politely declined to test stuff as he's not set up to get files onto his Plus right now.

What does PoP sound like under Mini vMac?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

meauxdal wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:22 pm ...
I tried to boot the vhd under Mini vMac but get a floppy with a question mark. I guess it is because of SCSI.
meauxdal

jca wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:38 pm
meauxdal wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:22 pm ...
I tried to boot the vhd under Mini vMac but get a floppy with a question mark. I guess it is because of SCSI.
Check the second download link in my doc - that one is a volume image that will boot if dragged onto Mini vMac. I'll test it myself here in a bit, just need to finish up some other stuff I'm working on first.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I tried with MPEE-vmac.dsk but trying to run POP poped up "Sorry, a system error occurred. Unimplemented trap."
meauxdal

Here's a video of someone running it on real hardware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAu2lFBKNbE

Maybe this can help us identify what's going on.