Attachments
mac os 7.01 us.vhd.zip
(3.87 MiB) Downloaded 586 times
CPC-Power Staff
chanunnaki

Re: Macintosh Plus Setup

Unread post by chanunnaki »

antonie wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:45 pm
jrronimo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:33 pm I set up my Mac Plus core over the last few days using the instructions on the core's repo page. There was a lot of trial and error, but here are some hints that will maybe help someone else:

1. The disk image that they link to in the repo is for 6.0.5. If you just follow the default install instructions, you will also need a Disk 2 and Disk 3 ("Utilities 1" and "Utilities 2").
2. The bin2dsk script is a little picky: Ubuntu doesn't support the 'unar' command it needs, but lubuntu does, as does openSUSE.
3. Even if you download Disk 2, Disk 3, and Disk 4 of System 6.0.5 from the Archive.org link, the bin2dsk.sh script can't convert them. It'll say they're not valid images. However, the System 6.0.8 .bin files are (the ones called SSW_6.0.8-800k_Disk1of4.sea.bin, for instance.)

4. If you're not as familiar with Linux and running that script (like me), you'll need to do a few things. I recommend booting off a Lubuntu live cd. You can use Rufus to get it on to a USB stick.
4a. Copy stuffit520.611linux-i386.tar.gz to /usr/local -- this will require root privileges; most of the time this is

Code: Select all

sudo cp stuffit520.611linux-i386.tar.gz /usr/local
followed by extracting it:

sudo tar -xvzf stuffit520.611linux-i386.tar.gz
4b. For the dc2dsk executable:
- First, compile it:

gcc -o dc2dsk dc2dsk.c
- Then put it in place:

sudo cp dc2dsk /usr/local/bin
- I think you also need to make it executable:

sudo chmod u+x /usr/local/bin/dc2dsk
I tried running the bin2dsk script on openSUSE using Windows Subsystem for Linux, and it errored out. The script uses a command called "file" to verify that the .bin images are proper disk images. Something about running "file" under Linux under Windows doesn't work. If you edit the script and comment out the lines related to checking that the binary is valid, the rest of the script runs.

Now that it's set up, I can get any .bin file and convert it to .dsk for this core successfully. I wish I were a coder -- it would be a fun project to take up this core and add in .bin support, among other things.

The core itself seems to run fine for me... I don't think sound works though, unfortunately. I was able to start playing Pyramids of Peril yesterday though; seems like a fun dungeon crawler. Anyone else have any good game recommendations? I never had a Mac growing up, so this is like a weird alternate history for me, haha.
There is a far simpler solution. The disk images can be downloaded from here:

https://winworldpc.com/product/mac-os-0-6/system-6x
I don't know if you've attempted installing the system software yourself, but the files available at winworld are .img files, while the MacPlus core needs them in .dsk format.
antonie

Unread post by antonie »

It's been a while since I did the install. Did I just rename them? Possibly, but I cannot recall.
wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

A vhd MacOS 7.1 working with last updates of alanswx on Mac Plus Core.
Attachments
mac os 7.1 us.zip
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 386 times
retrodroid

Unread post by retrodroid »

wark91 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:54 pm A vhd MacOS 7.1 working with last updates of alanswx on Mac Plus Core.
This file didn't work for me, just hung on the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen. The older file from a few posts back does work fine for me though.
wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

Could you please try this RBF from discord #test-build ?
Attachments
MacPlus_20210315.zip
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 269 times
antonie

Unread post by antonie »

This worked like a charm!

The keyboard now works a lot better. Thanks @alaswx

Out of curiosity what other improvements have been made to the core...it's been an orphan for a while and I'm glad to see there is interest in improving it.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

The new OS 7.1 vhd does not work with the official release of the core but works with the core posted above. I see a big difference in the OSD: the official core supports 1 vhd named HDD while the new core supports 2 vhds named SCSI6 and SCSI2. These 2 cores seem totally different.
One thing I noticed concerned the screen. I use HDMI 1080P and the screen is slightly offset to the right and the rounded corner on the right side are off screen.
Edit: The screen is not offset to the right, it is cut on the right side: when going from Full Screen to Original size the screen is missing pixels on the right side.
meauxdal

Unread post by meauxdal »

Thank you to everyone working on this core.

I can confirm that on the MacPlus_20210315.rbf test file above, the right side of the image is cut off by a few pixels. The OSD for this core could also use some more love, there are no options to unmount disks or drives currently (e.g. Amiga core allows you to press Backspace or hold Menu Cancel and press Menu Confirm to unmount a drive). This works, actually! It would still be nice if it showed you the currently mounted drives in the OSD.

On the plus side, the Scale options are working (they were broken in the test from the previous day), allowing for HV-Integer scale which is very useful on classic Mac operating systems where checkerboard dithering is the order of the day.

Is there any documentation on the new options in the core? SCSI6 and SCSI2? TG68K CPU options (I follow these speed things up, at least :D )?

Has anyone been able to successfully mount two hard drives at once? I can get a 2GB .dsk (renamed to .img so the MiSTer will acknowledge it - maybe .dsk extension support can be added, that should be a relatively small job I'd wager) to boot into 6.0.8, but I couldn't figure out how to boot 2 drives at once, or if that's actually supported yet... I'd considered maybe the two options in the OSD are actually two different types of drive? I've had success mounting my 2GB 6.0.8 system drive using the SCSI6 option, at least.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You can unmount the drives by using backspace but do not forget first to press enter like if you were to mount the disk and instead of selecting one just press backspace.
SCSI6 will give the SCSI ID of 6 to the drive and SCSI2 for ID 2.
You can mount 2 HD, SCSI6 will be the boot drive and SCSI2 a data drive, you cannot boot from SCSI2.
If you do not have any disk mounted but have a boot.vhd in the games/MACPLUS directory it will boot from it with SCSI ID 6.
But there is something strange with mounting and unmounting disks which I did not quite figured out:
I have DISK1 mounted on SCSI6 and start the core, it boots from DISK1. I shutdown the MAC, go into the OSD, unmount DISK1, mount DISK2 on SCSI6 and save settings.
If I restart the MAC by clicking on the Restart button of the Shutdown screen or just reload the core it still boots from DISK1 (may be not every time, I have to do more testing). When this happen I go back to the OSD, unmount all disks, save settings, start another core, go back to the MAC core and get the MAC icon with the ? as there is no boot disk. Now if I mount DISK2 on SCSI6 it will boot from DISK2.
On my system I give the extension VHD to my HDs in order to be consistent with other cores.
The addition of being able to select different type of 68K and clock is really nice: if you use the 7.1 disk posted earlier you need to set the memory to 4MB and it takes forever to boot with 68000 at 8MHz. What a difference with 68020 at 16MHz!
Now I have to do more testing running programs: a previous post mentioned that the KB is fixed which is a very good thing as I stopped using the previous core in order not to go insane with this KB from hell.
Congratulations and many thanks to the developers.

Edit: I also noticed something strange with mounting HDs: when you mount a disk a copy is made in games/MACPLUS with a name in the form .fuse_hiddenxxxxxxxx.
This is a waste of space and seems to happen only with this core (for example this does not happen with AO486).
antonie

Unread post by antonie »

Thanks for the new updates!

I notice that the keyboard cursor behaviour is not quite right.

In MS Excel (don't ask....) pressing the cursor keys randomly display characters on screen (usually "+", "a", "c", "j").

Otherwise, great work!
meauxdal

Can anyone share a ~224MB bootable image for 6.0.8? Really, just something in a happy medium between 20MB and 2GB would be useful, as the former is somewhat too small, the latter probably too big, and I haven't been able to generate a hardfile of anything in between yet that the MiSTer core will accept yet. Either that, or if anyone could help explaining the process for creating a system image that the MacPlus core can boot. I can create hard disk image files, then install 6.0.8 onto them in a way that allows them to boot in vMac Mini, but those same files don't appear to be recognized by the MacPlus core.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

meauxdal wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:53 pm Can anyone share a ~224MB bootable image for 6.0.8? Really, just something in a happy medium between 20MB and 2GB would be useful, as the former is somewhat too small, the latter probably too big, and I haven't been able to generate a hardfile of anything in between yet that the MiSTer core will accept yet. Either that, or if anyone could help explaining the process for creating a system image that the MacPlus core can boot. I can create hard disk image files, then install 6.0.8 onto them in a way that allows them to boot in vMac Mini, but those same files don't appear to be recognized by the MacPlus core.
It needs to have the scsi driver on it. See: http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index. ... romScratch

There are some images that are already made:
http://www.savagetaylor.com/2018/01/05/ ... d-adapter/
meauxdal

*Very* helpful, thank you Alan - the SCSI driver is crucial! Looks like SoftMac can interface with virtualized (and real!) SCSI devices, and as such is capable of installing the SCSI driver to HFS disks via the Apple HD SC Setup via System 7.3.5 or later: https://www.savagetaylor.com/2018/09/10 ... g-softmac/

I don't have a GNU/Linux OS handy at the moment and adding the Windows Linux subsystem to the layers of abstraction I'm fumbling my way through seemed like a bridge too far, so just in case this is useful to anyone else, here's roughly what I did
1. Create a blank 224MB (or whatever size you want) volume in BasiliskII (GUI > Volumes > Create...)
2. Configure SoftMac: enable Windows file access, then set first SCSI device to SavageTaylor's 2GB bootable 7.5.5 file, and the second to the volume you created in step one. Use the Quadra profile
3. Boot into System 7.5.5 in SoftMac. Initialize the volume you created when prompted
4. Browse the 7.5.5 hard drive. Double-click Apple HD SC setup 7.3.5 (Patched) to select and format the volume you created (this installs the SCSI driver)

To additionally make this drive bootable to 6.0.8, use Mini vMac:

5. Drag .img files for System Startup, System Tools, and System Additions from the installation floppies for System 6.0.8 onto the Mini vMac window after launching it but before booting into an OS - you should boot into System 6 via the System Startup disk
6. Drag your initial volume onto the Mini vMac window
7. Browse the System Startup disk and double-click Installer
8. Select the initial volume and install System 6

Edit: I think the above won't work as Mini vMac doesn't like the SCSI driver and needs volume images. You can use SoftMac (or Basilisk, or SheepShaver) to install the OS - just mount each of the System disks in the UI before booting and run through the Installer on the System Tools disk. You can also use the Apple Legacy Recovery CD - Google and Archive.org are your friends.

Not sure if this will be too helpful on its own as it mostly just regurgitates info from the link above, and doesn't cover most of the configuration for Basilisk and Mini vMac, but hopefully it prevents someone else from spending as much time as it took me to get something of my own making booting on this core!

Or... you could just download the .vhd attached to this post!

ETA: Here's a bonus musical video that some of you may get a kick out of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHVA4wNqSE0
Attachments
6.0.8.vhd.zip
224MB, SCSI driver present, HFS, minimal System 6.0.8
(1 MiB) Downloaded 278 times
iainjh

Unread post by iainjh »

Hi all

I'm not having much success running MacPlus. I just get a white screen with repeated vertical 'lines'. Oddly if I enter the mister Ui on changing ram I can sometimes ellicit an angry beep from what I hope is the 'mac' core.

On boot, no matter which cpu 6800,68020, with 4mb ram; just a white garbled screen. I've tried various result ions in mister.ini with no effect. The core reports output and Misters' screen res as per the pic attached.

I'm using the MacPlus_20210315.rbf as provided just above by wark91 and the 6.0.8 vhd as provided by meauxdal

I get nothing but a plain white screen with MacPlus_20210303.rbf

My boot.rom and boot.vhd are on usb/games/MacPlus/

The rbf is in the _computers folder on the boot micro-SD

Any clues please to what to try next?

TIA! and congrats on progress so far! :)

Iain
Attachments
IMG_7471.JPG
IMG_7471.JPG (819.92 KiB) Viewed 21900 times
IMG_7474.jpg
IMG_7474.jpg (219.58 KiB) Viewed 21900 times
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Do you have a rom
iainjh

Unread post by iainjh »

hi

yes I think so - from here:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MacPlus ... r/releases

its located on a usb key, in games/MacPlus/boot.rom
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

What is the status of the core?
The latest OS 7.1 VHD posted in this thread does not work with the official release 2021/03/03 but works with the rbf posted in this thread 2021/03/15.
Shouldn't the official repository be updated?
iainjh

Unread post by iainjh »

I got it working, I tried another bios file/ boot.rom. maybe I'd copied an incorrect file earlier

Now I need find how to install or copy stuff over!

Thanks!

iainjh wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:44 am hi

yes I think so - from here:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MacPlus ... r/releases

its located on a usb key, in games/MacPlus/boot.rom
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

Im not sure who is working on this core these days but any chance we can get the Midilink/UART added to the MacPlus core?
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

I keep working on the uart but I am not making good progress. I think I need to get an emulation and verilator setup to figure out which bits I am not setting correctly.

I am not seeing any of the data written from zterm when I type letters.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

jca wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:30 am What is the status of the core?
The latest OS 7.1 VHD posted in this thread does not work with the official release 2021/03/03 but works with the rbf posted in this thread 2021/03/15.
Shouldn't the official repository be updated?
Today's update fixed the "problem" and is now booting the OS 7.1 VHD. As a bonus the screen got back its rounded corners on the right hand side. The addition of the RTC should allow the use of OS 7.5 and the VIA, I suppose, for serial communication.
Thanks to the developers. MISTer impresses me more and more almost daily
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

Is there ever a chance this core can run on a CRT ?
The original Mac Plus had a built-in CRT, although I'm not sure if it was higher res than a normal CRT, or if it was 15khz or not.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

It should work over vga.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:23 am Is there ever a chance this core can run on a CRT ?
The original Mac Plus had a built-in CRT, although I'm not sure if it was higher res than a normal CRT, or if it was 15khz or not.
The original hardware used 350 line modes and scanned at 22khz. So like EGA on the PC or medium res in the arcade.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

This core is doubled. 512x640. 1024x768 or something
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

alanswx wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:55 pm I keep working on the uart but I am not making good progress. I think I need to get an emulation and verilator setup to figure out which bits I am not setting correctly.

I am not seeing any of the data written from zterm when I type letters.
Thank you for trying .. I appreciate it ..